The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me go uni elsewhere but at a local (crap) university HELPP?!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
Look on the bright side, if your local uni is really good, you might not get in and end up at KFC or Pizza hut.

ahaaa I wish that trick could work but Birmingham city university takes even EEU (exaggeration) :biggrin: I'd rather stay at home than go there :frown: i apapologise if I've offended someone
Reply 21
Original post by IDIOSYNCRASY.
ahaaa I wish that trick could work but Birmingham city university takes even EEU (exaggeration) :biggrin: I'd rather stay at home than go there :frown: i apapologise if I've offended someone

So you will still end up at KFC or Pizzahut but own a lot money.

Birmingham proper is a solid choice though
Original post by zippyRN
if the OP is south asian it will generally be harder to convince parents otherwise , especially if the citizen Khan like 'community leaders' are equally blinkered and bigoted / fearful of the sins of the flesh offered by going away to study.

lmao
Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi
Birmingham proper is a solid choice though

The University of Birmingham is very good but unfortunately they don't do architecture, Birmingham City does
Original post by TheCynicalChild
Coming from an Asian(-ish) family, screw them and and go wherever you want.

Asian parents need to calm the hell down.

They're afraid of their kids committing zina or whatever it's called (sex before marriage) as th ey want to arrange possibly from back home like motherland! Haha ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
The University of Birmingham is very good but unfortunately they don't do architecture, Birmingham City does

Can you not swing it from an academic point of view? Really, if you've got the grades and are looking to study architecture then you're best off studying at one of the 'better' schools of architecture; that is, with a good reputation within the industry. There are lots of good schools of architecture not too far from Birmingham that you could see if they would consider letting you go to? eg. Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Liverpool etc... The're all reasonably close and easy/quick to get to so you could still see your parents often if need be? :smile:

Either that or deliberately sabotage your application to BCU (by never sending them your portfolio/similar!) then they'll have to let you go elsewhere :tongue:
Tbh, if an 18 year old can't man up and confront their parents, they don't deserve to go to any good uni's.
Original post by Anonynous
Tbh, if an 18 year old can't man up and confront their parents, they don't deserve to go to any good uni's.

Lol the pressure is on or they may have threats to get sent back to motherland or . Beaten up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
Lol the pressure is on or they may have threats to get sent back to motherland or . Beaten up

Posted from TSR Mobile

So bloody what. They're old enough to make their own life decisions. If they're scared of their parents.. then wth are they going to do in the real world anyway?
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
Can you not swing it from an academic point of view? Really, if you've got the grades and are looking to study architecture then you're best off studying at one of the 'better' schools of architecture; that is, with a good reputation within the industry. There are lots of good schools of architecture not too far from Birmingham that you could see if they would consider letting you go to? eg. Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Liverpool etc... The're all reasonably close and easy/quick to get to so you could still see your parents often if need be? :smile:

Either that or deliberately sabotage your application to BCU (by never sending them your portfolio/similar!) then they'll have to let you go elsewhere :tongue:

ahhaa I like that :rolleyes: I'm not gonna apply for BCU then :biggrin: I really wanna go Sheffield, heard lots of good things about their architecture course
ahhaa I like that :rolleyes: I'm not gonna apply for BCU then :biggrin: I really wanna go Sheffield, heard lots of good things about their architecture course

As a current Sheffield student, I can only recommend the course! :tongue: (If you've got any questions about the whole applications process/Sheffield in general feel free to ask away via pm!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending