The Student Room Group

Can I marinate chicken in tobasco sauce ?

For those who misread I mean tobasco as in the hot pepper sauce, not tobacco as in lambert and butler. :wink:

I like to marinate chicken breast fillets in something for 24 hours before pan frying it. This is a necessary step because I like the chicken to be loaded with flavour and also make it as tender as possible.

However, can I put tobasco in the fridge? And will it erode the chicken away because it's so strong?
Pretty sure it won't erode the chicken and is perfectly safe in the fridge. You are slightly crazy if you want to do this, though.
Original post by Kung Po Chicken
For those who misread I mean tobasco as in the hot pepper sauce, not tobacco as in lambert and butler. :wink:

I like to marinate chicken breast fillets in something for 24 hours before pan frying it. This is a necessary step because I like the chicken to be loaded with flavour and also make it as tender as possible.

However, can I put tobasco in the fridge? And will it erode the chicken away because it's so strong?

Whether or not a marinade tenderises meat depends on the contents of the marinade- simply leaving chicken in a sauce will not necessarily affect the texture of the meat :fyi: Chicken also shouldn't really need tenderising :smile:

That being said, Tabasco is quite acidic thanks to the vinegar content. It's probably relatively expensive compared to other marinades given the size of the bottles, and its thin consistency may make keeping the chicken covered in it difficult. Maybe consider another hot pepper sauce like Frank's Hot Sauce, Frank's Bufallo Sauce or Econa Hot Pepper sauce, adding Tabasco to taste?
Original post by PythianLegume
Pretty sure it won't erode the chicken and is perfectly safe in the fridge. You are slightly crazy if you want to do this, though.

Because it's so hot?

Ok thanks for the feedback and recommendations. I've been using soy sauce for the past week or so as a marinate and fancied a change to something hot and spicy. Mayhaps I'll try this Frank's Hot Sauce. :smile:
Because it's so hot?

Ok thanks for the feedback and recommendations. I've been using soy sauce for the past week or so as a marinate and fancied a change to something hot and spicy. Mayhaps I'll try this Frank's Hot Sauce. :smile:

Frank's sauces are really good, if you've ever had Buffalo wings in a restaurant like TGIs odds are they used Franks Hot Sauce as the sauce :smile: I use it fairly often and lace it with extra Tabasco for a larger kick.
Because it's so hot?

That was my thinking, although I've never marinated in hot pepper sauce, so I'm not sure.
If you want it bursting with flavour grab some all purpose seasoning and whatever you like before you marinade your chicken add some oil to the chicken stab some holes inside the chicken then add all your dry flavourings and you Tabasco although If adding Tabasco, I would marinade the chicken without it and just your dry flavours so the multi-purpose seasoning and everything (and oil) then leave it in the fridge over night. When your ready to cook the chicken wrap the chicken in foil and leave it like the for perhaps half an hour on a high heat then remove the foil and your Tabasco with a brush and then let it cook normally :smile: Tastes professional although Tabasco as a marinade sounds like you want your mouth to burn!
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
If you want it bursting with flavour grab some all purpose seasoning and whatever you like before you marinade your chicken add some oil to the chicken stab some holes inside the chicken then add all your dry flavourings and you Tabasco although If adding Tabasco, I would marinade the chicken without it and just your dry flavours so the multi-purpose seasoning and everything (and oil) then leave it in the fridge over night. When your ready to cook the chicken wrap the chicken in foil and leave it like the for perhaps half an hour on a high heat then remove the foil and your Tabasco with a brush and then let it cook normally :smile: Tastes professional although Tabasco as a marinade sounds like you want your mouth to burn!

Yes I want my taste buds to be numb enough so I can't taste all the healthy but horrible crap I'm eating. :wink:

I hear what you're saying about wrapping it in foil but I haven't tried to cook chicken that way yet. I've been frying the chicken in a wok with olive oil for a couple of minutes and it's yielded good results.

How do I go about baking chicken in the oven? I'm not sure baking is the correct word btw, lol. Do I just wrap the chicken and the flavourings in foil, place on baking tray and then insert into the oven for x minutes on x heat?
Franks red hot sauce :coma:

I quite like using the Nando's marinades, though they're never as hot as when you go in the actual store.
Yes I want my taste buds to be numb enough so I can't taste all the healthy but horrible crap I'm eating. :wink:

I hear what you're saying about wrapping it in foil but I haven't tried to cook chicken that way yet. I've been frying the chicken in a wok with olive oil for a couple of minutes and it's yielded good results.

How do I go about baking chicken in the oven? I'm not sure baking is the correct word btw, lol. Do I just wrap the chicken and the flavourings in foil, place on baking tray and then insert into the oven for x minutes on x heat?

Basically but you deffo need to remove the foil at some point the foil sort of locks in the moister so you dont have dry ass chicken
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Basically but you deffo need to remove the foil at some point the foil sort of locks in the moister so you dont have dry ass chicken

Why would I remove the foil if it will just dry the chicken out? You mean for the last few minutes of cooking only or something?

Quick Reply

Latest