The Student Room Group

Nottingham Graduate Entry Nursing (GEN) January 2015

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone who has an offer for 2015 is about and wanted to talk about accommodation?

I'm going to be on the mental health stream myself, know very little about Derby, but am looking to live out somewhere cheap!

I know its early to be thinking about it, but would love some advice from past/present/future students :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will probably see you in January - I have got an offer for Mental Health branch as well. Need accommodation as well but don't want to be too far from the hospital. Have you found somewhere yet?
Reply 2
Hi :smile: congratulations on your place!

I think the trouble is its very early... Most things I look at that are available are traditional student lets of september-july :/ will probably have more luck nearer the time but yeahhh. Where are you at the moment?
Hi, I have also have a January 2015 offer. Think I'm planning on just living in the student accommodation for the first year, as I don't really know the area and had the same problem of only finding September-July availability!
Reply 4
Hi :smile:

I reealllllly don't want to live in halls again :/ I wanna treat this placement like a job and I don't think halls will be conducive to that! There were some other people at my interview day who wanted to do halls though so there should be some other nurses knocking about :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by onetwotwelve
Hi :smile:

I reealllllly don't want to live in halls again :/ I wanna treat this placement like a job and I don't think halls will be conducive to that! There were some other people at my interview day who wanted to do halls though so there should be some other nurses knocking about :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I see, that's understandable! I haven't actually lived in halls before so it'll be a new experience to me, but the accommodation people did tell me that they usually group nurses/med students together, so it's not too bad :tongue:
Hope you manage to find a place though! There'll probably be more available nearer the time :smile:
Original post by mellybeanss
Ohh I see, that's understandable! I haven't actually lived in halls before so it'll be a new experience to me, but the accommodation people did tell me that they usually group nurses/med students together, so it's not too bad :tongue:
Hope you manage to find a place though! There'll probably be more available nearer the time :smile:

Apologies for butting in, however while I'm not sure about GEN students, of the GEM students in Derby as far as I'm aware not many of us have opted to stay in halls this year - I can only thinglk of one person. Speaking to students in the year above it doesn't seem all that popular amongst them either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks! I know what you mean about January, I may request your excellent native knowledge soon though :P
Reply 8
Hi Would you not live at Lonsdale Halls? Dont they put all nurses together? I dont know Derby. I start my course in January 2015.

James

Original post by Kittsenger
If anyone wants any help or advice on areas etc to live in derby and how easy it would be to get to the hospital feel free to ask, i am starting GEN adult branch in Jan and have lived in Derby for the past 11 years :smile: I also know a few people who rent out rooms in their houses and are sometimes looking for new people.
I'm very glad i already live here and don't have to worry about accommodation etc because when i went to uni for undergrad i hated living in halls (which weirdly enough was lonsdale hall!)
It's all rather far off at the moment, Jan seems like an absolute age away!
Reply 9
Hi Mell

I also start in January 2015, cant wait to get stuck in. Was thinking about Lonsdale Halls as I also dont know Derby.

James

Original post by mellybeanss
Hi, I have also have a January 2015 offer. Think I'm planning on just living in the student accommodation for the first year, as I don't really know the area and had the same problem of only finding September-July availability!
Hi,
I have been offered a place on the mental health branch for 2015 and I am also a Derby native and I have lived in Nottingham as well. Back in Derby again now and I will be living at home. I am also happy to advise anyone wanting to know a bit more about the area here. I lived around the hospital and various areas in the city centre for a few years, looking forward to getting started now :smile:
Hi Guys,

I have been offered a conditional place for children's nursing (yaay) .i have a few questions:-

1. Has anybody started the advance standing document? - If so, what type of evidence have you included to meet the standards? I was hoping to just write about how my experience meets the standards but after browsing the pebble pad - it seems as though they want "evidence" for each standard. I was just wondering how has everybody gone about doing this and what type of evidence has everybody included...im just so confused?

2. I'm looking for a cheap place to rent in derby. I would love any information about areas in derby where the rent would be quite cheap and cheerful? Is anybody else thinking of renting?

LOL - i've written an essay!!! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Hope to see you all in January! Cant wait to start xxx
Original post by Nisha Athi
Hi Guys,

I have been offered a conditional place for children's nursing (yaay) .i have a few questions:-

1. Has anybody started the advance standing document? - If so, what type of evidence have you included to meet the standards? I was hoping to just write about how my experience meets the standards but after browsing the pebble pad - it seems as though they want "evidence" for each standard. I was just wondering how has everybody gone about doing this and what type of evidence has everybody included...im just so confused?

2. I'm looking for a cheap place to rent in derby. I would love any information about areas in derby where the rent would be quite cheap and cheerful? Is anybody else thinking of renting?

LOL - i've written an essay!!! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Hope to see you all in January! Cant wait to start xxx

Congratulations on your offer! I have completed my Advance Standing, I think, submitted a week ago, not had any feedback through Pebblepad but my UCAS status updated to unconditional. Regarding areas that are cheap and cheerful, the areas I know that are not too far away and I have lived in are California and New Zealand (no really that's what they are called!) they are in the area off Uttoexter New Road on the way into town from the hospital, on the same side as Upper Boundary Road, lots of students and walking distance from town and the hospital. I have also lived on Stepping Lane at the town end of Uttoexter Old Road and another student area which is very near to Friargate where all the nice restaurants and bars are in Derby. Depending on your budget Mickleover is a nice area but more upmarket, the area around Kedleston Road is nice and student friendly (I think they call it the West End) it is near lots of parks such as Markeaton and Darley Park, that is a good end of town to be in. Hope this helps but have a look around and see what you think :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
I'm looking for a place too. Are any of you considering a private house or know of any spare rooms available with other nurses?
Hi :smile: I'm looking for somewhere to rent too. Most of the lets seem to be sept to July though, frustrating!
Just wondering if anyone has applied for the NHS bursary yet?

I can't seem to find our GEN Child Nursing course option on the drop down list of the courses for Uni of Nottingham!
I registered today but haven't actually gone through and applied. If you go onto their supporting guidance leaflet on the NHS bursary site there is a timetable for courses beginning 2015, though it doesn't specially mention GEN.

Hope that helps!
Original post by onetwotwelve
I registered today but haven't actually gone through and applied. If you go onto their supporting guidance leaflet on the NHS bursary site there is a timetable for courses beginning 2015, though it doesn't specially mention GEN.

Hope that helps!

The confusing part is that there are different options for the university, there's University of Nottingham (Notts), then University of Nottingham (Derby) and some others. But under the Derby one, there aren't any course options at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending