The Student Room Group

Can I Do A Maths Degree?

My AS levels were

Maths A
Physics A
English Lit A
History B

and I dropped physics this year. Only now though I am contemplating a maths degree instead, but with only maths (no further), is it possible? The fact that my other a levels are arts subjects also worries me, do I stand any chance at all? Would it be worth taking AS further maths this year? My other degree choice would be history :confused:
Take AS Further Maths and look at university requirments. Maybe not at a top university, but I'm sure you'll find somewhere that will accept AS Further Maths. How come you dropped Physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harry97
My AS levels were

Maths A
Physics A
English Lit A
History B

and I dropped physics this year. Only now though I am contemplating a maths degree instead, but with only maths (no further), is it possible? The fact that my other a levels are arts subjects also worries me, do I stand any chance at all? Would it be worth taking AS further maths this year? My other degree choice would be history :confused:

Yeah, I'm sure there'll be some uni's that don't specifically ask for Further Maths :smile: Might be worth having at look at the unis you're interested in though, just to make sure :smile:
Might be worth picking up AS Further Maths? Might just look a bit better on your application :biggrin:
Yeah you can. Depends on what unis you wana go to though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's possible, there are a quite a lot unis that don't really need FM, unless you are going to a top one.
But the first year is mostly made from AS FM so I suggest taking FM AS if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You might want to think carefully. I got an A in Maths, but A2 FM is just a whole lot harder than what you would imagine. I don't think you can really say you want to do a maths degree unless you've experienced FM.
Original post by Anonokay
It's possible, there are a quite a lot unis that don't really need FM, unless you are going to a top one.
But the first year is mostly made from AS FM so I suggest taking FM AS if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1st years in maths degrees are certainly not mostly made from AS FM, that would be stupid.
Original post by Nitrogen
1st years in maths degrees are certainly not mostly made from AS FM, that would be stupid.

Actually most are
Then again I am talking about Durham Uni, their syllabus for first years is more As FM
Most first years do have a module which has a bit of FM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending