The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanRigg96#
Exeter, Glasgow and Liverpool, out of those, are the most reputable

However Liverpool's astrophysics research is non existent
So I would look at Exeter and Glasgow, Exeter has an excellent astronomy department

Thank you, Exeter and Glasgow do look to be the best in the bunch. However Kent's year in America is quite appealing, I am curious as to why it is so low in the league tables.
Original post by tanyapotter
Hi guys, potential physics applicant here :smile: I've just started year 12 and I'm taking maths, physics, further maths and german for as level (going to drop german at A2 if all goes to plan). I am however a little bit concerned about not having chemistry (the reason being that I hate it and even if I did enjoy it, I enjoy german more and I'm not prepared to take 5 a-levels). Will the lack of chemistry a-level put me at a significant disadvantage and if so, would it be possible to take an AS in chemistry alongside my 3 A2s in year 13? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no requirement for chemistry for Physics degrees
The fact that you are doing further maths boosts your chances a lot more than Chemistry would
When it comes to subject importance for a Physics degree it probably goes (from most important):
Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Computing, Chemistry
So personally I wouldn't worry about it (From someone who hates chemistry too)
Original post by aleishahogan
Thank you, Exeter and Glasgow do look to be the best in the bunch. However Kent's year in America is quite appealing, I am curious as to why it is so low in the league tables.

Simply put, a lack of world leading research and lower grade students
as levels

maths -A
chemistry -A
biology -A(dropping)
physics -A

Only recently decided that i might do physics. Looking to get into one of the top unis where you need a*a a. Just wondering if that is realistically possible as i don't do further maths. Also wondering which universities look at your ums because my ums was quite low(82% or so for maths phys chem) ?

I know durham/cambridge look at ums what others do?
Does Bristol university give interviews for physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dapter444
as levels

maths -A
chemistry -A
biology -A(dropping)
physics -A

Only recently decided that i might do physics. Looking to get into one of the top unis where you need a*a a. Just wondering if that is realistically possible as i don't do further maths. Also wondering which universities look at your ums because my ums was quite low(82% or so for maths phys chem) ?

I know durham/cambridge look at ums what others do?

Try emailing admissions tutors for the department in each university
They always seem to get a reply back fast and answer thoroughly
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Does Bristol university give interviews for physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread from last year seems to show so
There are 3 instances on the table where someone had an interview at Bristol
This thread from last year seems to show so
There are 3 instances on the table where someone had an interview at Bristol

Okay, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I need some quick advice:

Basically- I need help choosing between Edinburgh (physics) and Bristol (physics with astrophysics)

Edinburgh would be a direct 2nd year entry and the thing that is making me reluctant on Bristol is the lack of a year abroad option at Canadian/American unis.

Other unis I'm applying to: Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Manchester
Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically- I need help choosing between Edinburgh (physics) and Bristol (physics with astrophysics)

Edinburgh would be a direct 2nd year entry and the thing that is making me reluctant on Bristol is the lack of a year abroad option at Canadian/American unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They seem so impossible to separate, so I would just pick whatever area you'd prefer to live in 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applying to Loughborough, Hertfordshire, Swansea and Kent! Having a gap year, sitting on ABB in French, Physics and Maths respectively :smile: need to find some masterclasses to do over the next year just to ensure I keep up to date with my Physics skills!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you be adverse to a year in Europe then? :smile: If so, why?
Original post by dannicturner
Applying to Loughborough, Hertfordshire, Swansea and Kent! Having a gap year, sitting on ABB in French, Physics and Maths respectively :smile: need to find some masterclasses to do over the next year just to ensure I keep up to date with my Physics skills!

Nice to see a girl on here! :biggrin:
You've probably put a lot of thought already into your unis but you might like the look of this course:
http://m.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2014/1563/30116

One of the top unis for Physics and you could get in
Nice to see a girl on here! :biggrin:
You've probably put a lot of thought already into your unis but you might like the look of this course:
http://m.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2014/1563/30116

One of the top unis for Physics and you could get in

I've had a look at all the unis I was eligible for, and had a maaaaaassive process of narrowing them down based on course content and other things I'm looking for (accommodation costs and the like!) and for one reason or another Sussex didn't make the cut!

Plus after the open day at Loughborough this Saturday (at which I think I was one of two girls in the room!) I pretty much have my heart set!
I've had a look at all the unis I was eligible for, and had a maaaaaassive process of narrowing them down based on course content and other things I'm looking for (accommodation costs and the like!) and for one reason or another Sussex didn't make the cut!

Plus after the open day at Loughborough this Saturday (at which I think I was one of two girls in the room!) I pretty much have my heart set!

I know what you mean, I went to one Uni open day and it was just like... Yup this is the one
It's so interesting how everyone picks completely different ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean, I went to one Uni open day and it was just like... Yup this is the one
It's so interesting how everyone picks completely different ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really is! Some people look at completely different things to me, but on Saturday it was how passionate all of the staff and students were about the full University experience that sold it for me. I've been to too many lectures where the lecturer is clearly reciting notes written ten years ago, but Loughborough was in a completely different league!
It really is! Some people look at completely different things to me, but on Saturday it was how passionate all of the staff and students were about the full University experience that sold it for me. I've been to too many lectures where the lecturer is clearly reciting notes written ten years ago, but Loughborough was in a completely different league!

Staff that aren't passionate are such a put-off...
3 things convinced me for Sussex
Firstly, they researched everything I'm interested in
Secondly, the staff and students were so unbelievably friendly compared to other unis, like a family feel
Thirdly, loved the area 😎

Hope you love it in Loughborough! I assume you're basically in with your grades already achieved?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Staff that aren't passionate are such a put-off...
3 things convinced me for Sussex
Firstly, they researched everything I'm interested in
Secondly, the staff and students were so unbelievably friendly compared to other unis, like a family feel
Thirdly, loved the area ������

Hope you love it in Loughborough! I assume you're basically in with your grades already achieved?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talking to one of the lecturers the words 'guaranteed place' were mentioned, so I bloody hope so!
Talking to one of the lecturers the words 'guaranteed place' were mentioned, so I bloody hope so!

Haha 😂 Score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone got work experience or nah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending