The Student Room Group

College deadlines or offical deadlines?

I'm trying to get at least a day's work experience at a hospital before I send off my application but my college has an internal deadline on this Friday (26-09-14).

Should I just send off my application this Friday with my college thinking that it's unlikely I would get work experience before 15th Oct anyway? Or should I apply independently so I have more time (until the 15th) to try and secure a work placement in hopes of improving my personal statement? (I'm on a gap year and am reapplying btw)

Also, do medical schools look at applicants on a "first come first serve" basis or they wait til BMAT results in November to look at them all equally?

thank you!:smile:
Original post by lawra
I'm trying to get at least a day's work experience at a hospital before I send off my application but my college has an internal deadline on this Friday (26-09-14).

Should I just send off my application this Friday with my college thinking that it's unlikely I would get work experience before 15th Oct anyway? Or should I apply independently so I have more time (until the 15th) to try and secure a work placement in hopes of improving my personal statement? (I'm on a gap year and am reapplying btw)

Also, do medical schools look at applicants on a "first come first serve" basis or they wait til BMAT results in November to look at them all equally?

thank you!:smile:

Sod the internal deadline, you need to do whatever maximises your chances of getting in - if this is your only chance to do some work experience then you should absolutely try and do that first, write about it in your PS and only then send off your form.

It's not first come first serve so please, please, please do not feel you have to rush your application.

I really don't understand why schools put students under these sorts of unnecessary pressures year after year.
Reply 2
Whoa thank you for the speedy response, you're the best!!

But okay then, about doing ucas independently - I've already done most of my application, through my college. Is it too late to suddenly cancel it with them? Just that I have a lot of things on my plate and if starting my application from scratch independently will cause more trouble than good, then I'd rather avoid it if possible.
Original post by lawra
Whoa thank you for the speedy response, you're the best!!

But okay then, about doing ucas independently - I've already done most of my application, through my college. Is it too late to suddenly cancel it with them? Just that I have a lot of things on my plate and if starting my application from scratch independently will cause more trouble than good, then I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Is your college totally inflexible about the deadline?

Do you have any other work experience?
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Is your college totally inflexible about the deadline?

Do you have any other work experience?

Yup, they were pretty harsh about it. They said it has to be in this Friday. No way around it.

I have a week in a surgery, but nothing in a hospital. My decision to reapply was very last minute so I didn't get any work experience during this summer. It sucks but it's the consequence of my late decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending