The Student Room Group

I like a guy my parents would never approve of

Hi guys,

I'm a Hindu girl and I've liked this guy for a while and he likes me back. There's a little problem though, the guy is a Muslim. My parents have always been really strict with dating so I could never tell them about the guy. I really like him and I don't know what to do. Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can understand that it might be difficult, but if my parents told me they disapproved of me dating a Muslim I'd tell them to get stuffed.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I'm a Hindu girl and I've liked this guy for a while and he likes me back. There's a little problem though, the guy is a Muslim. My parents have always been really strict with dating so I could never tell them about the guy. I really like him and I don't know what to do. Help!

Tell them to shove it! You're your own person, If you WANT to date him, go and ****ing DO IT!!!!! They have no right to tell you who you can and cannot date. If my parents tried that they'd get told which hole they can shove that old world opinion.
Reply 3
I can understand
Reply 4
As far as I'm aware, Muslim males are not permitted to marry Hindu females. If you are interested in a long-term relationship, you would have to convert to Islam to marry him and any children you had with him would have to be raised as Muslims.
Reply 5
Original post by Ashnard
As far as I'm aware, Muslim males are not permitted to marry Hindu females. If you are interested in a long-term relationship, you would have to convert to Islam to marry him and any children you had with him would have to be raised as Muslims.

I'm only 16 so I don't want to marry him
Hi guys,

His parents aren't going to be too pleased either.

I think you have to wait until you leave home and take it from there - but you have to be prepared to be alienated from his and your family. Is it really worth that.
Reply 7
I'm only 16 so I don't want to marry him

But still, unless you're willing to convert then the relationship has no long term future. Pre-marital sex is also of course forbidden in Islam, so I don't see the point really.

It's not uncommon for women to convert to Islam to marry their Muslim boyfriends, so I think it would be understandable for your parents to be concerned.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ashnard
I know this it Islamic law, but it's pathetic. She should convert because of what she believes, not because of who she wants to marry.
Man you and your family sound like your from the Stone Age or something, I hope you won't take this attitude with your kids
Original post by Tootles
I know this it Islamic law, but it's pathetic. She should convert because of what she believes, not because of who she wants to marry.

I agree completely. Your theological beliefs should be independent of your romantic feelings but conversion for the sake of marriage is fairly common. It's just not logical. The same applies to marriage conversions in Judaism.

I think the idea in both religions is for the converts to actually believe fully in the faith they convert to but, in my opinion, if someone is willing to negotiate their theology just to marry somebody of a different faith then I think it's already apparent that that person has no intellectual integrity. If the marriage ends in divorce it's not uncommon for the convert to stop practising their new faith, which says a lot really.
Original post by Ashnard
I agree completely. Your theological beliefs should be independent of your romantic feelings but conversion for the sake of marriage is fairly common. It's just not logical. The same applies to marriage conversions in Judaism.

I think the idea in both religions is for the converts to actually believe fully in the faith they convert to but, in my opinion, if someone is willing to negotiate their theology just to marry somebody of a different faith then I think it's already apparent that that person has no intellectual integrity. If the marriage ends in divorce it's not uncommon for the convert to stop practising their new faith, which says a lot really.
One thing that I very much like about my own faith (I'm a Christian - an adult convert and I practice faith, not religion) is that marriage/partnership with someone outside the faith has as much scriptural support as partnership with someone inside it. It's seen as part of God's ministry.
As far as I'm aware Muslims are allowed sleep with non-Muslims outside of marriage.

How much do they not approve? They're not the kind of people who do "honour killings" are they?
Original post by noobynoo
As far as I'm aware Muslims are allowed sleep with non-Muslims outside of marriage.

How much do they not approve? They're not the kind of people who do "honour killings" are they?

No I don't think so. He isn't that religious
Original post by Tootles
One thing that I very much like about my own faith (I'm a Christian - an adult convert and I practice faith, not religion) is that marriage/partnership with someone outside the faith has as much scriptural support as partnership with someone inside it. It's seen as part of God's ministry.

That is a redeeming feature of Christianity I suppose. Interestingly, Muslim men are actually allowed to marry "People of the Book" (i.e. Christians and Jews) but not women of any other faith, whereas Muslim women are strictly forbidden from marrying any non-Muslim. I'm no expert, but I imagine that this is because children are traditionally reared according to the father's religion, so this would allow them to maintain demographic hegemony in multi-faith communities.

I meant your parents. Also "I don't think so" in regard to honour killings doesn't sound very reassuring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Since it's not serious yet - wouldn't it be easier to just have a relationship with someone else and cause less fallout?

Honour killings aren't necessarily about how religious that family is. It is more about culture and how would they react if they found out he was dating a Hindu? And how would your family react to you dating a Muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
f**k them
Original post by moment of truth
Honour killings aren't necessarily about how religious that family is. It is more about culture and how would they react if they found out he was dating a Hindu? And how would your family react to you dating a Muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would ban me from seeing him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending