The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Combined Degree- PS not specific enough?

I want to study Fine Art and Creative Writing at Lancaster and am completing my UCAS at the moment. The problem is, my personal statement is mostly related to fine art and only covers in passing my interest in creative writing and how the two work well together. I shied away from making it entirely geared to this course as my back-up choices only offer fine art. Should I be more course specific?

Also wonder if my art portfolio will be taken into account at interview on the combined course? No mention of it on course info.
Don't want to miss out and wonder if it's a better/safer bet going for Fine Art major with CW as a minor although the combined course looks perfect for me. Stressed!:confused:

Any advice on PS, or Combined VS major-minor. Thanks
Original post by Artmonkey
I want to study Fine Art and Creative Writing at Lancaster and am completing my UCAS at the moment. The problem is, my personal statement is mostly related to fine art and only covers in passing my interest in creative writing and how the two work well together. I shied away from making it entirely geared to this course as my back-up choices only offer fine art. Should I be more course specific?

Also wonder if my art portfolio will be taken into account at interview on the combined course? No mention of it on course info.
Don't want to miss out and wonder if it's a better/safer bet going for Fine Art major with CW as a minor although the combined course looks perfect for me. Stressed!:confused:

Any advice on PS, or Combined VS major-minor. Thanks

Back when I applied to university, and to two courses at Lancaster, they didn't really mind that my PS didn't include the other part of the combined for which I applied and gave me an offer anyway. They also offered for another course that I had nothing on at all in my PS. Also, because of the first year minors system, you can take CW as one of your minors, no questions asked, and just keep it for the next two years to make your degree combined. If your other universities are only offering Fine Art, tailor your PS to that and just pick CW as a minor. Chances are they'll offer you anyway if your grades are good enough :smile:

I actually did CW in my first year when I was there :tongue:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the quick reply! Will leave the PS as it is.:smile:
You say you applied to two courses? Would it be worth applying for just Fine Art (so my portfolio is taken into account) at the same time as Fine Art/CW to cover myself?
Or have I lost the plot entirely?
Thanks for the quick reply! Will leave the PS as it is.:smile:
You say you applied to two courses? Would it be worth applying for just Fine Art (so my portfolio is taken into account) at the same time as Fine Art/CW to cover myself?
Or have I lost the plot entirely?

If you're set on going to Lancaster, then yes. They usually give lower offers for combined courses, so I just used one as my firm and the lower as my insurance. And if you just do Fine Arts, assuming it's a 60 credit 100 module (i.e. a first year class), you'll have to pick two minors anyway. If they combine it, at the very least it has the credit space for another class to be a minor. So either way you can go a single honours in FA or a combined course with both subjects. Lancaster are pretty flexible once you're there. Do try and quote me next time so I see your reply saw this by chance! :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by kittyb99
If you're set on going to Lancaster, then yes. They usually give lower offers for combined courses, so I just used one as my firm and the lower as my insurance. And if you just do Fine Arts, assuming it's a 60 credit 100 module (i.e. a first year class), you'll have to pick two minors anyway. If they combine it, at the very least it has the credit space for another class to be a minor. So either way you can go a single honours in FA or a combined course with both subjects. Lancaster are pretty flexible once you're there. Do try and quote me next time so I see your reply saw this by chance! :tongue:

Oops, sorry! Great advice. Lancaster's the only place I really want so will apply for both. Thanks again.:biggrin:
Oops, sorry! Great advice. Lancaster's the only place I really want so will apply for both. Thanks again.:biggrin:

Excellent! Also, if you're keen to go to Lancaster, it's worth thinking about which college you like most. There is a surprising amount of difference between them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending