The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zKlown
Your midfield is strange

You have obvious quality in Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini, Cazorla (who I think plays best in the middle). Yet fitting them all is a big problem.

Think it would have done you guys good to get Song back maybe?

Personally I think the answer is obviously to play the players who complement each other rather than forcing them all in. Ozil, Ramsey + 1 is probably spot on. Arteta is fine at home vs poor teams whereas away from home he's poor. Everybody wants Diaby to get into the team but his fitness problems are legendary.

He's better than Arteta really, but I never particularly rated Song as a holding player. He provided physicality which we lack but he was just quite ill-disciplined and eager to get forward. But Ramsey(or Wilshere) play as B2B CMs for us so I think we should have bought a pure DM, plenty of them around as well.

Song was quite inconsistent in any case, MOTM one week followed by 2 6/10 performances was not atypical. I was pleased to get £15m for him and Im not too surprised that he's ended up at midtable WHU.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 261
Original post by zKlown
Your midfield is strange

You have obvious quality in Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini, Cazorla (who I think plays best in the middle). Yet fitting them all is a big problem.

Arteta and Flamini aren't really quality and Rosicky is starting to come off it to. Wilshere/Ramsey/cazorla have had great games but need to sort out their consistency
Original post by AR_95
Arteta and Flamini aren't really quality and Rosicky is starting to come off it to. Wilshere/Ramsey/cazorla have had great games but need to sort out their consistency

Arteta and Flamini from what I've seen, are enough to get you by in the prem. But like someone else stated against the better teams they get torn a new one. That Dortmund game actually shocked me, you guys played really bad. Nearly as bad as we did last season IMO.

I haven't seen Rosicky this season, but he's always looked quality on the ball.

I love bantering your lot about Ozil, but in all truth, he's a central playmaker, you can't play him as a winger, bit like Mata I guess.
Original post by zKlown
Your midfield is strange

What is the point in adding a player with physical presence to our midfield who has terrible tatical awareness? He is the complete opposite to Arteta who is tactically sound but just hasn't got the legs anymore to keep up with the game.

We need a physical midfielder who can actually read the game and able to play the ball out of danger. Matic would have been an unbelievable purchase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 264
Original post by Mr Pink
What is the point in adding a player with physical presence to our midfield who has terrible tatical awareness? He is the complete opposite to Arteta who is tactically sound but just hasn't got the legs anymore to keep up with the game.

We need a physical midfielder who can actually read the game and able to play the ball out of danger. Matic would have been an unbelievable purchase.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree with this tbh. A good example is Flamini though. I know he's quite short but he still provides some presence and physicality to the midfield but his distribution is still quite poor.

Have to mention this with Schezny too, he's been looking lethargic as of recently.
Original post by zKlown
Your midfield is strange

Agree, almost all of them are natural CAMs, but I don't think we needed Song back, since Diaby is now in the squad (at least for now). I think playing Diaby as CDM either on his own in a 4-1-4-1 or alongside Flamini/Ramsey will be so beneficial to the squad, as it would free up players like Arteta and Wilshere to play more direct, attacking football.
Original post by AR_95
Agree with this tbh. A good example is Flamini though. I know he's quite short but he still provides some presence and physicality to the midfield but his distribution is still quite poor.

Have to mention this with Schezny too, he's been looking lethargic as of recently.

Szczesny isn't looking lethargic, he just needs a good beating from the coaches. Once he sorts out his goalkicks/clearances so that he can actually kick the ball in the air to one of our players, and he stops wasting time on the ball trying to dribble past strikers, he will be much more competent. Still, he is a brilliant shot stopper and makes good decisions in choosing when to come out of the goal etc
Original post by zKlown
Arteta and Flamini from what I've seen, are enough to get you by in the prem. But like someone else stated against the better teams they get torn a new one. That Dortmund game actually shocked me, you guys played really bad. Nearly as bad as we did last season IMO.

I haven't seen Rosicky this season, but he's always looked quality on the ball.

I love bantering your lot about Ozil, but in all truth, he's a central playmaker, you can't play him as a winger, bit like Mata I guess.

Rosicky has a few issues with ball retention and accurate passing (as well as tackling, see: the Saints game), but this is always glossed over by the fact he never, ever stops running, and is good with link-up play.
Original post by Zürich
He made a good contribution in his first season, and even last season at times when he wasnt injured so you can handle his social media stuff. But atm his Arsenal career is effectively over and even when he gets a shot he just doesnt take them. So for £100k/week the guy is basically just messing about on twitter before his inevitable transfer back to Koln when hell probably start trying again.

You can be a bit of a clown so long as you stay professional on the pitch. Ray Parlour might be a good example but Podolski has basically just gone full on jester now.

Definitely dont hate the guy and he has genuine charisma but he does do some idiotic things. Why is he tweeting in Portuguese now? Presumably because of the WC that he played 45 minutes in? How did he square it in his head that he needed to permanently tweet to Brazilians though?

loool :lol:

Possibly baiting a move to Brazil :dontknow:? as if European players would ever do that :colonhash:
Original post by jam278
Although Zurich grew up in london, your logic is terrible. Funnily enough the real Arsenal fans are the ones who live in woolwich and passed down from generation to generation. :biggrin:

The west london guy is there because of University. He doesn't live there either.

Also would never support a club that's been gentrified to the extent of Arsenal. Pay money to watch nothing, slow insipid football that rarely wins trophies nowadays. That is the reality of supporting Arsenal.

No offence.

Im not offended but LOL dont you support Chelsea?. Yep youve always been playing greattttt football right. Football has become a business. If you're a big team you'll automatically become marketable but I wont agree we're just a gentrified club now. The thousands of AFC fans who've been supporting thru generations from wherever they're from would beg to differ. We still have a core of supporters from 'humble' beginnings as well as people who turn up to our games in business suits. When I went to the game yesterday there was a huge range of people. Just because we moved to the Emirates doesn't mean we are a soulless club now. The stadium changes but the real fans will always be fans lol. People never used to say that when AFC were at Highbury. Arsenal are moving upwards in terms of profits and marketability etc but I dont believe that means we've been gentrified to the extent that we have no real fans lol and we a just a market. Teams like RM and Barca I can say have been gentrified quite a lot. Also if you support Chelsea like i think you do, you are suffering from the same gentrification issue as us lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
Szczesny isn't looking lethargic, he just needs a good beating from the coaches. Once he sorts out his goalkicks/clearances so that he can actually kick the ball in the air to one of our players, and he stops wasting time on the ball trying to dribble past strikers, he will be much more competent. Still, he is a brilliant shot stopper and makes good decisions in choosing when to come out of the goal etc

I've said this before, Sczc 's distribution is emphatically poor and is one of the common factors that lead us to conceding goals, take the recent draw with City as an example. Aguero's goal game from a Navas assist that came from a Sczc 'clearance'. He's a good goal keeper but just lacks discipline, he gets incompetent in his decision making at times and gets too brave for his own good. However, from what I've seen of Ospina it looks like we've got two great goalkeepers in our possession.
Deborarosa to take Peggles throne as resident strong independent black woman with a stick up her arse
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I've said this before, Sczc 's distribution is emphatically poor and is one of the common factors that lead us to conceding goals, take the recent draw with City as an example. Aguero's goal game from a Navas assist that came from a Sczc 'clearance'. He's a good goal keeper but just lacks discipline, he gets incompetent in his decision making at times and gets too brave for his own good. However, from what I've seen of Ospina it looks like we've got two great goalkeepers in our possession.

Exactly, although Joe Hart's distribution and confidence are slipping as well. As for Ospina, he makes good decisions and has good reflexes, as well as being far better at distribution. However, in the 2-1 game, the penalty was easily saveable, straight down the middle at reasonable height and pace, and Clyne's shot, whilst being a lightning bolt, was straight over Ospina's head.
Original post by deborarosa
Im not offended but LOL dont you support Chelsea?. Yep youve always been playing greattttt football right. Football has become a business. If you're a big team you'll automatically become marketable but I wont agree we're just a gentrified club now. The thousands of AFC fans who've been supporting thru generations from wherever they're from would beg to differ. We still have a core of supporters from 'humble' beginnings as well as people who turn up to our games in business suits. When I went to the game yesterday there was a huge range of people. Just because we moved to the Emirates doesn't mean we are a soulless club now. The stadium changes but the real fans will always be fans lol. People never used to say that when AFC were at Highbury. Arsenal are moving upwards in terms of profits and marketability etc but I dont believe that means we've been gentrified to the extent that we have no real fans lol and we a just a market. Teams like RM and Barca I can say have been gentrified quite a lot. Also if you support Chelsea like i think you do, you are suffering from the same gentrification issue as us lol

I don't really think there's an argument, so don't bother! Some clubs prefer modification i.e- Liverpool (With plans of expanding Anfield going on) and other clubs prefer to just move as a whole. The idea of a club moving up the ladder of elitism and losing it's original fans or history is ridiculous. I for one think I'm amongst a very tiny minority of Arsenal fans that vaguely know about the history of the club. That's just putting an emphasis on the fact that a lot of the fans I know personally and all of the ones out there that do exist are actually quite the opposite of what Jam is suggesting. So conclusively, I agree.
Original post by New Slaves
Deborarosa to take Peggles throne as resident strong independent black woman with a stick up her arse

Lol I'm curious as to how I'm viewed now.

Original post by Arkasia
Exactly, although Joe Hart's distribution and confidence are slipping as well. As for Ospina, he makes good decisions and has good reflexes, as well as being far better at distribution. However, in the 2-1 game, the penalty was easily saveable, straight down the middle at reasonable height and pace, and Clyne's shot, whilst being a lightning bolt, was straight over Ospina's head.

That reminds me, I love sczc and all but he's not a very good penalty saver is he? When was the last time he's saved a pen...Area of improvement detected. Tbf though we don't concede that many penalties :colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol I'm curious as to how I'm viewed now.

That reminds me, I love sczc and all but he's not a very good penalty saver is he?

I would say the stick is firmly out of your ass :colonhash:

No, Szczesny has the penalty saving abilities of a mango. Fabianski though :coma:
Original post by Arkasia
I would say the stick is firmly out of your ass :colonhash:

No, Szczesny has the penalty saving abilities of a mango. Fabianski though :coma:

:tongue:

Penaltianski... that's what I called him :lol: Sczc is pants at penalties. One of his weaknesses.
:tongue:

Penaltianski... that's what I called him :lol: Sczc is pants at penalties. One of his weaknesses.

Aha thats great. Yeah he is, but at least he doesn't get injured! *cough* Almunia *cough*
Without wishing to jinx it, the Spuds are losing to Notts Forest :rofl:
Aren't they playing a second string team though? Forest are top of the championship so hardly a laughable side tbf.

Latest