The Student Room Group

Does "Short Man Syndrome" Really Exist?

I have a acquaintance who is 5"2 and he is the angriest/most arrogant little guy you could ever meet :lol: Wannabe Napoleon, we think :tongue:

Of course, people of any height can be arrogant. But does "short man syndrome" really exist? Is it some kind of survival/defense mechanism? I have also noticed that the short guys I know tend to act with more "bravado" (on average) towards women and often be too OTT with regards to cockiness and trying to impress them with humour. Whereas the average/tall guys are much more laid back.

Do guys ever feel pressured to act stereotypically "manlier", even in situations where women aren't around, in order to "make up for" some perceived deficiency in their height? (According to their opinion. I'm not short but I don't think being short is a deficiency...)

Discuss :cookie:
Reply 1
Original post by AlphaNick
i dont need to because im 6'2 and alpha as ****

But are you as alpha as Nick?
Daniel Radcliffe. I don't think he ever had it
yes, it does
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaNick
um what?

You said that you were as alpha as (swear word beginning with s, rhymes with "lit.")

So I asked "were you as alpha as Nick? (presumably your name, going by your username?)" which also kind of rhymes with that :lol:

shawn_o1
Daniel Radcliffe. I don't think he ever had it

Yeah Radcliffe's cool :yep:

Obviously not all short guys are angry/bitter. I just wondered if people thought "Napoleon syndrome" was a myth or actually exists in some.
Reply 5
Original post by TheEssence
yes, it does

How do you know? :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
How do you know? :tongue:

Its not a blanket rule dictating the behaviour of all short men, but it does exist. Many short people i know are hot headed and impatient. I feel its because they have to be intimidating or can't put up with sh*t or they will be easy targets for bullies etc ( this was mostly the case in school and college).
Reply 7
Its not a blanket rule dictating the behaviour of all short men, but it does exist. Many short people i know are hot headed and impatient. I feel its because they have to be intimidating or can't put up with sh*t or they will be easy targets for bullies etc ( this was mostly the case in school and college).

I haven't noticed this among women so much :dontknow: Then again I guess short women are less likely to be bullied/picked on too (they can wear heels, most women are shorter too and guys see them as "cute" rather than sexual competition)
Reply 8
Original post by Damask-
Nobody in the real world is as obsessed with height as short guys on TSR, I swear to god.

If this was directed at me, I'm not short :tongue:
I am incredibly sceptical, I think the term is just another lazy way to denigrate

Original post by Damask-
Nobody in the real world is as obsessed with height as short guys on TSR, I swear to god.

yeah

but what is there to suggest that they would not be the same if they were taller? What is there to suggest that there are more hot headed, impatient or arrogant short people than in the general population? You are making connections where there may not be any
Original post by + polarity -
I am incredibly sceptical, I think the term is just another lazy way to denigrate

yeah

but what is there to suggest that they would not be the same if they were taller? What is there to suggest that there are more hot headed, impatient or arrogant short people than in the general population? You are making connections where there may not be any

Unfortunately,we can't imagine what some short people would be like if they were any taller, we must take them as they are.
That's a fair point. Even if they were statistically less arrogant and hot headed than the general population, i think people would still argue short man syndrome exists. Being short is a thing that makes people insecure and cuts them deep, regardless of whether it matters or not.

I still personally feel that short man syndrome exists in short people (obviously not all, probably not even a majority). It could be some individuals' way of being a big character to make up for being little, so they're not an easy target for bullying etc. ( this is very relevant in school settings)
I have a acquaintance who is 5"2 and he is the angriest/most arrogant little guy you could ever meet :lol: Wannabe Napoleon, we think :tongue:

Of course, people of any height can be arrogant. But does "short man syndrome" really exist? Is it some kind of survival/defense mechanism? I have also noticed that the short guys I know tend to act with more "bravado" (on average) towards women and often be too OTT with regards to cockiness and trying to impress them with humour. Whereas the average/tall guys are much more laid back.

Do guys ever feel pressured to act stereotypically "manlier", even in situations where women aren't around, in order to "make up for" some perceived deficiency in their height? (According to their opinion. I'm not short but I don't think being short is a deficiency...)

Discuss :cookie:

I don't think so, I just think people notice or find it funny when shorter guys are angry. If I think of my short male friends I can think of one who was really angry, but two who are pretty chill.

I do think shorter guys can be a bit defensive, which isn't surprising when a lot of women feel height is an important part of attraction.
:

Napoleon was actually 5'6", which is just short of average if anything.

In answer to your question, overcompensating for insecurities can manifest as things like overconfident bravado yes. Is it necessarily because of height? Maybe, but that depends on a person by person basis.
Reply 14
I am a tall guy from my experience I believe it does not exist I know one short guy that is very good with the ladies never seen him moan great communication with women this fella is never cocky though confident yes. Yet I know another one that is constantly miserable blaming all his problems with girls on his height, the truth is it's an individual issue and it depends on how the individual faces life never actually seen an overly arrogant short guy.
Reply 15
yes it definitely exists, and it is manifested in their obnoxious behavior so no one should feel sympathy for them when thay have trouble with girls.
It doesn't. It's just that when people see a short dickhead, his height is the thing that grabs your attention. Physical features will always influence how people see others. An assertive tall guy will be seen as confident whereas an assertive short guy will be seen as overcompensating.

Quick google search. :p:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6501633.stm

Dennis Wise is brought up because he was short and aggressive player. If a player like Pepe was short people would say he had short man syndrome. But because he is 6ft+ he is just a dirty player.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending