The Student Room Group

How strict are unis with their GCSE grade requirements?

Are they flexible or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DJC1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally they're pretty inflexible, because they're easy GCSE requirements for anyone planning on applying to uni.
Original post by DJC1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

The better the university, the more strict they are.
Original post by DJC1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

In general, specific requirements, particularly in GCSE English and Maths aren't flexible, especially if they are only asking for B/C grades. Universities generally think this is the minimum level of English/maths you would need to cope with the course, and won't accept you without them.

For other requirements, such as requirements for MFL GCSEs for unrelated degree courses, universities may be more flexible.

Most universities won't care if you have retaken your GCSEs, and you can apply with a retake "pending".

If you're talking about having generally weak GCSEs, but you have the minimum requirements in English and maths, then there is more room for flexibility.
Original post by DJC1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it will come down to a variety of factors. Firstly, what they are actually asking for, i.e. minimum of C in Maths/English etc., what you are applying for (they probably won't be chuffed if you have a D/E in Maths or English and want to do Physics or English Lit.), and by how much you miss the requirement, if at all. If in doubt, it could be worth contacting the admissions department before you potentially waste a slot on your UCAS.
What if you get the requirements but just miss out on one. Like bham says A* for chem in dentistry but what if you get A at GCSE and ace your a levels?
Original post by KittyRe-play
What if you get the requirements but just miss out on one. Like bham says A* for chem in dentistry but what if you get A at GCSE and ace your a levels?

Birmingham are notoriously GCSE grade heavy so they probably won't allow that.
Original post by h3isenberg
Birmingham are notoriously GCSE grade heavy so they probably won't allow that.

But I had sever anaemia at the time of GCSEs which prevented me from doing my best plus the teacher did favoritism. Extenuating circumstance?
But I had sever anaemia at the time of GCSEs which prevented me from doing my best plus the teacher did favoritism. Extenuating circumstance?

That'd be something you should contact Birmingham directly. They are pretty brutal though mainly because grades are how they select applicants as they don't use the UKCAT. For medicine, I know someone who got 8A*s at GCSE and AAAB at AS but was told he won't get an interview at an open day just because of the B at AS.
Hi,

Like some members have said already - the flexibility of the GCSE requirements varies from university to university. Your best bet is to contact the universities that you are interested in directly so you have a clear answer. Just explain your situation and that you are worried you won't even get an offer and they will give you some advice.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by h3isenberg
That'd be something you should contact Birmingham directly.

Universities won't listen to stories about extenuating circumstances from the applicant directly. Anyone could make up any story. Extenuating circumstances have to go in the reference.
(edited 9 years ago)
If an application has been made for special consideration during the exams, it will already have been applied to the results, so even with the maximum of 5% allowed, if the grade hasn't been attained, they won't be impressed. You can't have special consideration twice.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If an application has been made for special consideration during the exams, it will already have been applied to the results, so even with the maximum of 5% allowed, if the grade hasn't been attained, they won't be impressed. You can't have special consideration twice.

No the thing is that my exams didn't have any special considerations. No one told me about the existence of such lenient markings etc so I just thought "let it be". I phoned bham uni, the dentistry apartment, and told them my situation. They said I need to smash my a levels for a chance to do dentistry and I should have told the exam boards about this extenuating circumstance- but I didn't know these things even existed!
Reply 13
If you're applying to a good uni and your GCSE results are bad then you may as well not bother
No the thing is that my exams didn't have any special considerations. No one told me about the existence of such lenient markings etc so I just thought "let it be". I phoned bham uni, the dentistry apartment, and told them my situation. They said I need to smash my a levels for a chance to do dentistry and I should have told the exam boards about this extenuating circumstance- but I didn't know these things even existed!

Better start smashing then, I suppose.

That's unfortunate and your school should have alerted you to this possibility, although if they didn't know anything about your illness, they couldn't be expected to do anything. In reality, it will have made very little difference. The maximum allowance is 5% for the death of a parent or sibling in the immediate period before the exam, and anaemia would not be regarded as a circumstance which falls anywhere near that category. As a long term illness, it is expected that it will be managed and it doesn't count as a medical emergency to qualify for extra marks. There are many misconceptions about mitigating circumstances and the truth is that they don't often make any difference at all.
That's unfortunate and your school should have alerted you to this possibility, although if they didn't know anything about your illness, they couldn't be expected to do anything. In reality, it will have made very little difference. The maximum allowance is 5% for the death of a parent or sibling in the immediate period before the exam, and anaemia would not be regarded as a circumstance which falls anywhere near that category. As a long term illness, it is expected that it will be managed and it doesn't count as a medical emergency to qualify for extra marks. There are many misconceptions about mitigating circumstances and the truth is that they don't often make any difference at all.

Okay so would bham reject me? What about loads of work experience and an amazing personal statement? Any chance?
Okay so would bham reject me? What about loads of work experience and an amazing personal statement? Any chance?

Sorry, I'm not a dentist. Start a thread in the dentistry forum and others can advise you.
Reply 18
I didn't have a good gcses in maths and that really hindered me last year. :frown:
Universities won't listen to stories about extenuating circumstances from the applicant directly. Anyone could make up any story. Extenuating circumstances have to go in the reference.

I meant as in to find out from the uni if there is a bit of leeway with the grade requirements if you have extenuating circumstances, but yeah you're right about that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending