The Student Room Group

Is it actually legal to sell a kidney?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swarly
im assuming the fact that your kidney can go into someone else, also means someone elses kidney can go into you.

i dont see why not?

at one point there connecting points will have to be cut too?

Also, all of this is a tangent. it is unlikely you will need another one, when you only needed one in the first place anyway.

No because you do it in one fell swoop during one operation - you don't let everything heal over.

I know absolutely nothing about biology.
Want a new iPhone 6+ huh?
Original post by JerzyDudek
Want a new iPhone 6+ huh?

Definitely not worth it for an iPhone6+, they're bendy.
Reply 23
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
No because you do it in one fell swoop during one operation - you don't let everything heal over.

I know absolutely nothing about biology.

m8 I got an A* in GCSE Science. Haven't done bio since :lol:
Original post by swarly
no lol.

but you only need one kidney, so this talk of having to find another one is quite irrelevant, no?

anyway at 60k, the risk/reward is there.

if you've ever been on the dark web, you'd see how cheaply people are willing to kill others, and how little value there can be placed on life.

You only need one kidney until you damage your other one, you have no idea if you'll be in an accident or develop a condition which requires removal of your solitary kidney. There are also risks associated such as high blood pressure and kidney damage later on in life (although, I don't think it's been shown to have a difference in life expectency, I can't comment on quality). With a solitary kidney you'll also require monitoring regularly, something which also costs money.

That's all very nice and all but I place a fair amount of value on my own life. A renal transplant is not something you walk out of either, you need to also account for lost earnings. You'd have to be pretty desperate to consider 60k worth the risk/reward to be perfectly honest.
Once you've had a kidney removed, can you put a new kidney back in the same place...? Won't all the connecting parts be gone?

You know about these things.

Yeah, you can put a new one in and connect it all up again. What you do is just attach it to other blood vessels in the same region - so in real life kidney transplants, surgeons connect it up to the iliac veins/arteries (blood vessels that run up in the area beside your hip bones - they're the branches from the main blood vessels in your abdomen that split off diagonally to go to your legs), and then connect up the tubes for moving urine directly to your bladder, just like it is with your kidneys now. In reality, when you've got a rubbish kidney, doctors tend to just leave the rubbish one in and connect the new one up somewhere near it (that area near your hip bone)!

The trouble is that transplanted kidneys don't work quite as well as normal kidneys and things can go awry. As well, to stop your body attacking the "foreign" kidney, you have to take immune system-suppressing medication for the rest of your life, which has lots of consequences!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Yeah, you can put a new one in and connect it all up again. What you do is just attach it to other blood vessels in the same region - so in real life kidney transplants, surgeons connect it up to the iliac veins/arteries (blood vessels that run up in the area beside your hip bones - they're the branches from the main blood vessels in your abdomen that split off diagonally to go to your legs), and then connect up the tubes for moving urine directly to your bladder, just like it is with your kidneys now. In reality, when you've got a rubbish kidney, doctors tend to just leave the rubbish one in and connect the new one up somewhere near it!

The trouble is that transplanted kidneys don't work quite as well as normal kidneys and things can go awry. As well, to stop your body attacking the "foreign" kidney, you have to take immune system-suppressing medication for the rest of your life, which has lots of consequences!

Well there you go. Totally not what I expected. I figured you had one change and that was it. :yy: So I could swap 'em about as much as I like, if I wanted. Apart from the old immunosuppressants issue.
Based on this thread, I think I'm going to start up a 'PAWN YOUR KIDNEYS HERE' shop. 50% are saying show me the money so I reckon there's a market for it.
What's it like only having 1 kidney?
Hmmm. I would not do this for 60 grand. What sort of impact would it put on your lifestyle, does it really prevent you from eating or ingesting anything that you otherwise might? If not then stick another zero on there and maybe I'd consider it... maybe.
Well there you go. Totally not what I expected. I figured you had one change and that was it. :yy: So I could swap 'em about as much as I like, if I wanted. Apart from the old immunosuppressants issue.

Though if you were to have this hypothetical accident and cause severe damage to that hypothetical remaining native kidney you could die from the renal failure before a new organ is found to replace it or you're stable enough to receive a new organ. Not everyone manages on dialysis :wink:
I think my health is more important than money.

Well, you could, but it'd be a stupid thing to do! The more and more you chop ones out and put new ones in, the worse and worse your kidney function will get. Being taken out of a body and put into a new body is still quite a stressful business for a kidney. :tongue: As well, your entire system struggles with the challenge (your kidneys, despite their small size, are incredibly important for much more than just filtering your blood to make urine!), you have the risk of having a bad reaction (despite the immunosuppressants), which would become more likely the more you swap, you have all the risks inherent in any surgery being repeated over and over...repeated transplantation will eventually kill you! All these sorts of challenges are why decisions about transplantation have to be very, very carefully made. Getting a transplanted kidney isn't the same as getting a brand new, completely healthy kidney that's just as good as your other healthy one is!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
Though if you were to have this hypothetical accident and cause severe damage to that hypothetical remaining native kidney you could die from the renal failure before a new organ is found to replace it or you're stable enough to receive a new organ. Not everyone manages on dialysis :wink:

We're forgetting I've invested the 60k and made a fortune - now I've bought a matching kidney from someone which will remain in their body until such a time as I need it. :yy:
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Hmmm. I would not do this for 60 grand. What sort of impact would it put on your lifestyle, does it really prevent you from eating or ingesting anything that you otherwise might? If not then stick another zero on there and maybe I'd consider it... maybe.

yes it does. My mum only has one kidney and she needs to be careful about what she eats because she'l be dead if she loses the other one.

Eating stuff like bananas (high potassium)
alcohol
overly acidic stuff

would put your remaining kidney at risk. Since you're now working at 50% efficiency to get rid of toxins and stuff in your body.
Definitely not worth it for an iPhone6+, they're bendy.

Of course. I'd much rather have a Lumia 930 myself.
Original post by ChickenMadness
yes it does. My mum only has one kidney and she needs to be careful about what she eats because she'l be dead if she loses the other one.

Eating stuff like bananas (high potassium)
alcohol
overly acidic stuff

would put your remaining kidney at risk. Since you're now working at 50% efficiency to get rid of toxins and stuff in your body.

F that then, I'd have to be offered an obscene amount or be in a desperate situation.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Well, you could, but it'd be a stupid thing to do! The more and more you chop ones out and put new ones in, the worse and worse your kidney function will get. Being taken out of a body and put into a new body is still quite a stressful business for a kidney. :tongue: As well, your entire system struggles with the challenge (your kidneys, despite their small size, are incredibly important for much more than just filtering your blood to make urine!), you have the risk of having a bad reaction (despite the immunosuppressants), which would become more likely the more you swap, you have all the risks inherent in any surgery being repeated over and over...repeated transplantation will eventually kill you! All these sorts of challenges are why decisions about transplantation have to be very, very carefully made. Getting a transplanted kidney isn't the same as getting a brand new, completely healthy kidney that's just as good as your other healthy one is!

Apart from the old immunosupressants and all the other risks associated with transplants/surgery in general issue. :wink:
Original post by JerzyDudek
Of course. I'd much rather have a Lumia 930 myself.

For 60k you could have yourself ~150 Lumia 930s :biggrin:
If I needed £60k, I know far less destructive ways to get it easily enough.

Youre loosing years of your life for goodness sake.

Quick Reply

Latest