The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankthebunny
has anyone got work experience or nah

I had a barely related one at an engineering company that I made sound amazing, when all I did was listen to music and make word documents 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 201
Original post by Tibbz2
I wish there were some good technical physics books that are good for a-level understanding, there seems to be a chasm between popsci and uni textbooks :tongue:

Try The Theoretical Minimum by Susskind and Hrabovsky. IMO it's a pretty decent step up from A Levels but not quite as bad as jumping into an undergrad textbook. Their QM one is pretty good too. A decent mechanics book is also rather useful (and if you get interviews you'll be glad you had one).

Or just man the **** up and read The Feynman Lectures :tongue:
Physics or engineering?
Original post by frankthebunny
has anyone got work experience or nah

I've got some at an aeronautical research company and a week at Lockheed Martin! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
Try The Theoretical Minimum by Susskind and Hrabovsky. IMO it's a pretty decent step up from A Levels but not quite as bad as jumping into an undergrad textbook. Their QM one is pretty good too. A decent mechanics book is also rather useful (and if you get interviews you'll be glad you had one).

Or just man the **** up and read The Feynman Lectures :tongue:

Hi,
If you don't mind me asking, did you do anything to prepare for your physical natural sciences interviews, if so what? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 205
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Hi,
If you don't mind me asking, did you do anything to prepare for your physical natural sciences interviews, if so what? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say to first make sure you really understand your A Level (or equivalent) content, you will have to tell Cambridge which topics you have done in the SAQ. Then do some more graph sketching and lots of mechanics. It's more about being able to apply what you already know to unfamiliar situations than anything else.
Hey, thought I'd join this thread since I just noticed it! :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Hey, thought I'd join this thread since I just noticed it! :smile:

Welcome! :biggrin:
Check out the first post
Original post by Fred Cantoni
I've got some at an aeronautical research company and a week at Lockheed Martin! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no and I couldn't really find anything within my area, only uni stuff but I missed out on it
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Accounting and physics connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
Original post by alow
I would say to first make sure you really understand your A Level (or equivalent) content, you will have to tell Cambridge which topics you have done in the SAQ. Then do some more graph sketching and lots of mechanics. It's more about being able to apply what you already know to unfamiliar situations than anything else.

I've only done C1-C4 so far and M1. Do you think it'd be best to devote time self teaching M2-M3 or is it better to do the Olympiad physics papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!
I'm from Bulgaria.
I'm interested in almost anything physics has to offer, but I've done some research on condensed matter physics, so you might say I love it the most. But still, when I hear about a breakthrough in any area of Physics, I become really excited :biggrin:
I'm going to apply for the Physics MSci course.The universities I'm thinking about are:
Exeter, Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh(hopefully I get accepted there, but that's kind of a long shot) and I can't decide on the last one. Can anyone give me an insight about the Physics course in Aberdeen-is it worth it?
Reply 212
I've only done C1-C4 so far and M1. Do you think it'd be best to devote time self teaching M2-M3 or is it better to do the Olympiad physics papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do both.
Original post by alow
Do both.

Is that what you did (also, any specific areas of m2/m3)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is that what you did (also, any specific areas of m2/m3)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The SHM stuff in M3 I found really helpful with the SHM in physics obviously it's board dependent, but I think it's a pretty core concept!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
Hey I'm Zui. I submitted my UCAS form already and hopefully I can get an offer!!
My AS
Maths A* already achieved
Physics A (failed my ISA...
Geography A
Economics B (due to some language problems coz I'm international...
And my A2 predictions are A*(Maths) A*(F maths) A*(Phy) A(Geo) and no idea about my EPQ.
I'm applying to Oxford, ICL, UCL, Warwick and Durham.
I really want to get an offer now and I am struggling with may PAT. If anyone is woking on PAT or applying for the same unis as I am, maybe we can be friends...?? Coz I am the only one who applies for physics this year...
I agree, if any of you know of any good quantum mechanics/astrophysics books that assume A level understanding, then please let us know! There doesnt seem to be much maths in pop sci books -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quantum or astrophysics, but Chaos by James Gleick (might've spelled that wrong), is about chaos theory and absolutely fascinating
Have any of you got an interview at imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 218
Have any of you got an interview at imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year they started sending them out about now IIRC so I would think a couple of people will soon.
Post your offers on here guys if you'd like!
Would be interesting to compare and maybe even see differences in the same unis offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending