The Student Room Group

Can you ask a girl out 8 years later?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pshah2
Haha thank you!!

The place where she's living now, I'm at. I think she might be on holiday at that club though! Have to wait till she gets back. She was at a festival in the UK recently.. didn't see till afterward though haha

Only thing is I need a time machine to travel back to the event as some pictures are posted the day afterward! But I agree, she looks like she posts where she's hanging out in advance, so will try. Can you help me please? You're an expert at this wingwoman!

In terms of setting up a FB, I agree with you. I'm not sure I want to tbh, since I have zero background on there.. but if I have to concede and do that, I will for sure follow your advice, and put a nice picture in there.

Loving the "Chasing the girl of my dreams!" You are better than Barney Stinson or Ted Mosby!!

You're in Switzerland? All over her pro it seems she's currently Swissing it lol And the La Santa Idk where that is. But yea like dress up your FB and message her. The only reason you're dressing up your FB is so that when she sees your message (in which you will tell her who you are and how you feel) she will click your profile and see the basics about you so it's not some empty random thing. Forget background everyone starts somewhere. You can hide all that stuff by simply not filling it out and hiding it via privacy settings, OR fill it out :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by RiOt GrrrL
You're in Switzerland? All over her pro it seems she's currently Swissing it lol And the La Santa Idk where that is. But yea like dress up your FB and message her. The only reason you're dressing up your FB is so that when she sees your message (in which you will tell her who you are and how you feel) she will click your profile and see the basics about you so it's not some empty random thing. Forget background everyone starts somewhere. You can hide all that stuff by simply not filling it out and hiding it via privacy settings, OR fill it out :smile:

Solid advice! Actually I'm in London.. I think she lives here. Her comments are about places here. Think she is visiting home at the moment!

Cool, I'm not sure about the FB profile though, I like you're idea of running into her and being like "Fancy meeting you here!"

What do you reckon? I do like the 'chasing the girl of my dreams thing', but that could still be said in real life :smile:
Original post by pshah2
Solid advice! Actually I'm in London.. I think she lives here. Her comments are about places here. Think she is visiting home at the moment!

Cool, I'm not sure about the FB profile though, I like you're idea of running into her and being like "Fancy meeting you here!"

What do you reckon? I do like the 'chasing the girl of my dreams thing', but that could still be said in real life :smile:

Oh ok I'm under the impression that you can only reach her via the internet. But if you run into her offline and can see her in person then do that, but the only way you're going to get into her profile is by having one of your own. Then talk to her like that no matter where she is.
Reply 163
Oh ok I'm under the impression that you can only reach her via the internet. But if you run into her offline and can see her in person then do that, but the only way you're going to get into her profile is by having one of your own. Then talk to her like that no matter where she is.

That's cool. Yeah you may be right, maybe the only way to meet is online, lest I hit lucky and bump into her round the corner, or she attends a party and posts it before attending!

Will jazz up a profile if I have to then.. do you think Twitter is better? You mention FB is like email, does it work like that, or could you just be blanked.. then again I suppose you could strike out with Twitter too... oh for going back 8 years and getting a number!

Think this sitcom may not have an ending lol!
Original post by pshah2
That's cool. Yeah you may be right, maybe the only way to meet is online, lest I hit lucky and bump into her round the corner, or she attends a party and posts it before attending!

Will jazz up a profile if I have to then.. do you think Twitter is better? You mention FB is like email, does it work like that, or could you just be blanked.. then again I suppose you could strike out with Twitter too... oh for going back 8 years and getting a number!

Think this sitcom may not have an ending lol!

Well Facebook is good because it is like emailing so like with all the characters you can put in, you can start a legit, genuine discussion; as opposed to Twitter having a limited amount of characters for a post. Check is she has Twitter. Instagram is perf as well, see if she has one. Because Instagram is less pressure, the default IG page is just photo album and comments. So no pressure to like have a background.
Reply 165
Well Facebook is good because it is like emailing so like with all the characters you can put in, you can start a legit, genuine discussion; as opposed to Twitter having a limited amount of characters for a post. Check is she has Twitter. Instagram is perf as well, see if she has one. Because Instagram is less pressure, the default IG page is just photo album and comments. So no pressure to like have a background.

Expert advice couldn't have said it better myself!
Original post by spatel3
Expert advice couldn't have said it better myself!

You're really into this lol I'm just curious to see if it works :colone:
Reply 167

You're really into this lol I'm just curious to see if it works :colone:

Thanks!! I know I hope it works too. It's going to be a long play though.. I'm going with your first idea first! Check out the page, and watch and wait for the accidental meeting.

I'll give that a go and hopefully it'll work. If not then I shall move onto creating a fab FB page and take the plunge! I see your point about Twitter short messages. I guess twitter could come after you've sent a FB message. Should you friend them on FB or just send a message?

Also what about getting a phone number? I'm such a novice lol!

Overall what's the plan of action and best thing a girl could hear from a guy she met a while ago on various mediums (FB, Twitter, phone, text, physical meeting) ? :smile:
Well does this girl work in a place in which it would be possible for you to go- such as a pub or a café? If she does then spontaneously start going there and make conversation about how you first met and what has changed since you last both saw each other. Sneakily try to add in a question to see if she has a boyfriend now or not.
If she doesn't just mention that it would be nice for the both of you to maybe catch up some time, pass her your number or ask for her twitter username.

Just make sure you are very casual- no girl likes pushy :smile:
Reply 169
The sane answer to this question is one world; No.
Reply 170
Original post by NaomiJenkins
Well does this girl work in a place in which it would be possible for you to go- such as a pub or a café? If she does then spontaneously start going there and make conversation about how you first met and what has changed since you last both saw each other. Sneakily try to add in a question to see if she has a boyfriend now or not.
If she doesn't just mention that it would be nice for the both of you to maybe catch up some time, pass her your number or ask for her twitter username.

Just make sure you are very casual- no girl likes pushy :smile:

Okay awesome, thanks!

Will try that technique... only thing is I need to find where she works, I just know she is in the same city now :smile:

Hope to find her soon and reconnect!

I think it's because I'm so nervous, just not sure what to say without getting rejected. Also if I do find her, might be so happy that I forget to say anything and end up standing there haha
Yeah just try your best- be honest with her and maybe let her know that you are nervous!
Girls always like to know that a guy is nervous to talk to them- in a weird way it makes us feel like we are special and that the guy wants us to find him perfect.
Yeah just have a mini hunt for her, maybe she has some mutual friends of yours?

Just slowly ease into the whole relationship thing, the first time you see each other it could be a little bit nerve racking, but the next time just be open and chatty and just mention how nice it would be to stay in contact!
You will be absolutely fine :smile:
Reply 172
Yeah just try your best- be honest with her and maybe let her know that you are nervous!
Girls always like to know that a guy is nervous to talk to them- in a weird way it makes us feel like we are special and that the guy wants us to find him perfect.

Just slowly ease into the whole relationship thing, the first time you see each other it could be a little bit nerve racking, but the next time just be open and chatty and just mention how nice it would be to stay in contact!

Agree with this. Nerves are natural man. Impressed with you, this is friendship at its best. This had to be made into a movie.

Just say it's great to see her and she looks great. They love compliments!
Haha we do love them!
Reply 174

Remember to tell her she looks great. You may forget when you're so happy to see her again!

if online, say wonder whether you remember me? You're even more beautiful than how I remember you.
Remember to compliment whichever route you take.

I think the finding her is better than online. Monitor where she will be and then bump into her. Have a wingman/wingwoman with you. Let us all know and we'll attend too.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work after a few months, sign up temporarily to FB till you get her number. Make it look good and friend other friends first and then send her a message.

If you are bold, you can send a friend request too, but I would message first.

Once you have established contact, get a Twitter name and also phone number.

Then drop facebook and use the others for contact.

The key thing is FIRST try and find her naturally bumping into her.
Reply 176
Original post by spatel3
Agree with this. Nerves are natural man. Impressed with you, this is friendship at its best. This had to be made into a movie.

Just say it's great to see her and she looks great. They love compliments!

Movie coming up! Will remember, thanks!

Will do. I know I was only at that exchange school for a short time, but we got on so well. Just need to run into her again somehow, but all I have is she works somewhere in central London!

Help me expert haha

Original post by neerajpatel
Remember to compliment whichever route you take.

I think the finding her is better than online. Monitor where she will be and then bump into her. Have a wingman/wingwoman with you. Let us all know and we'll attend too.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work after a few months, sign up temporarily to FB till you get her number. Make it look good and friend other friends first and then send her a message.

If you are bold, you can send a friend request too, but I would message first.

Once you have established contact, get a Twitter name and also phone number.

Then drop facebook and use the others for contact.

The key thing is FIRST try and find her naturally bumping into her.

Yeah I would prefer the in person meeting, just need the luck to bump into her!
Okay here's the plan- do you research about her mutual friends that she may have with you, on her Facebook she will have somewhere on it her location and were she works.
Once you have find out where she works go her and 'bump' into her!
Perfect situation!
Yaaaaaaay I'm an expert :biggrin:
Reply 178
Okay here's the plan- do you research about her mutual friends that she may have with you, on her Facebook she will have somewhere on it her location and were she works.
Once you have find out where she works go her and 'bump' into her!
Perfect situation!
Yaaaaaaay I'm an expert :biggrin:

Haha this is good, I like it! Okay research commencing from tomorrow morning!! Will look into mutual friends and hangouts. Got to try, just that London is a big place!

Thanks so much for the advice, really appreciate it. This is a long term mission, like the slutty pumpkin! Hopefully will meet her one day :smile:

Fingers crossed!
Original post by Br33gu11
I don't know why so many people have been saying this is romantic or encouraging you to go after this girl in such bizzare means, but I'd be very creeped out if someone I met once had became so fixated with me and had continued to to stalk me to find out what I did and where I hung out rather than just sending me a message to say hi. Really wouldn't encourage me to want any further contact with them if I found out.

You could just make a Facebook and send her a straight forward message to see if she even remembers you. Can't believe you've had her profile details for almost two months and not considered being upfront with her. A message from a newly created profile is nowhere near as creepy or strange as what you're doing now.

Not trying to be mean, but real life isn't a sitcom and you aren't Ted Mosby.

IMO I think Facebook following is weirder than meeting someone in person! As I understand, you're just looking at her profile and are not on Facebook?

That's fine. People who are on Facebook and just look at other people's profiles are a lot more creepy than someone who has the courage and chivalry to go up to someone in person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending