The Student Room Group

Mechanics help

Hey can anyone help. Not sure how I even start question 15.
Find an expression for the displacement of A at time T, same for B, set the two equal and then solve

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Arithmeticae
Find an expression for the displacement of A at time T, same for B, set the two equal and then solve

Posted from TSR Mobile

But how can you work out the displacement at a when all you have is the velocity?
Original post by boodle123
But how can you work out the displacement at a when all you have is the velocity?

You don't need to work it out. You get rid of the displacement variable when you set the two expressions equal to each other.
Original post by boodle123

A has traveled a distance 20T and B has traveled 5T+14T220T\text{ and B has traveled }5T+\frac{1}{4}T^2 now just equate the two distances and solve for T
Reply 5
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1411570805.736107.jpg I don't know if this is correct but this is what I got :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joanne__
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1411570805.736107.jpg I don't know if this is correct but this is what I got :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that it really matters for this question, but for your last couple of steps you should have really brought everything to one side and then factorised. Otherwise you miss one of the possible solutions (t=0 in this case).
Original post by Arithmeticae

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
Is there a general way of solving Kinematics questions?
For example in C2 integration, all you need to be able to do is to know integration and be good at coordinate geometry/ simultaneous equations.
Once you understand how to do one example of the questions when this is understood, all of the questions when read have the way to the answers paved in my mind.
Is there anything I'm missing with Kinematics?
Original post by MathMeister
Hi!
Is there a general way of solving Kinematics questions?
For example in C2 integration, all you need to be able to do is to know integration and be good at coordinate geometry/ simultaneous equations.
Once you understand how to do one example of the questions when this is understood, all of the questions when read have the way to the answers paved in my mind.
Is there anything I'm missing with Kinematics?

simply put, no

you have to change your thinking depending on what the question is asking

i find writing out suvat next to every question and then filling in what you know and don't know helps, but apart from general advice like that there's not much more i can offer

Quick Reply

Latest