The Student Room Group

Travelling gap year in 2015 alone!

I am planning on taking a gap year before uni next year to work and travel. Unfortunately I haven't yet found anyone to go with. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on travelling alone? or is there anyway to meet someone virtually.

Scroll to see replies

Travelling alone is definitely possible, can be good fun and it has the benefit of you basically being able to do what you want. I did it for a month and it was so much fun.

Where are you thinking of travelling, and for how long? I can probably give you a more accurate depiction of what it'll be like after I know that.

Original post by IPapper1
I am planning on taking a gap year before uni next year to work and travel. Unfortunately I haven't yet found anyone to go with. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on travelling alone? or is there anyway to meet someone virtually.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks for the reply. I'm planning on back packing around Europe, so Switzerland, Scotland, Morocco, Ireland, Spain ect for a month or two. I might get the young adults 1 month train ticket for Europe which seems to make it a little more straight forward :smile:
I'd also like to visit outside of Europe and go to India, Indonesia and Brazil but I think I'll wait until after university to go because of lack of money. Only worry is I know Morocco is a little dodgy for woman to travel alone in so I'm wondering what to do about that.
Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
Hi there, im actually in year 13 now and after I want to take a gap year to travel, I was actually also thinking of backpacking Europe maybe we should talk see if we get along, maybe we could travel together ? hehehe :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by malakath
Hi there, im actually in year 13 now and after I want to take a gap year to travel, I was actually also thinking of backpacking Europe maybe we should talk see if we get along, maybe we could travel together ? hehehe :smile:

Hi Malakath! thanks for responding to my post. That does sound like a good idea :smile: Where are you from?
Reply 5
South London, You ? :smile:
Reply 6
South London, You ? :smile:

Oxford at the moment, planning on moving to near plymouth for my gap year and uni though :smile: how long do you want to travel for?
Reply 7
I really haven't thought about how long but for as long as I can afford I suppose, I want to backpack Europe preferably starting in like Amsterdam then sorta going city to city towards northern Italy and maybe end somewhere like Venice but nothing is decided so I am up for what ever really, I would also like to do volunteering in India or somewhere else in Asia at some point in my gap but again that all depends on money which I should definitely have enough for Europe but not sure about Asia.
Reply 8
I really haven't thought about how long but for as long as I can afford I suppose, I want to backpack Europe preferably starting in like Amsterdam then sorta going city to city towards northern Italy and maybe end somewhere like Venice but nothing is decided so I am up for what ever really, I would also like to do volunteering in India or somewhere else in Asia at some point in my gap but again that all depends on money which I should definitely have enough for Europe but not sure about Asia.

that sounds like a really good idea and ah I was actually planning on doing some voluntary work in an orphanage in India too :smile: Really do need to start saving properly though. Do you plan on working to begin with or going straight into it?
Reply 9
Personally I would like to start Europe ASAP once summer starts because I don't want to be traveling Europe in the Winter so im going to do something which will upset my parents and use the money which they have been saving for years in a savings account which I get when I turn 18 XD which should cover most of Europe then I am also currently looking for like a weekend job, and just saving up in general all of this year. How about you ?

EDIT: ow also if I came back in winter time, worked and saved up then the following summer would prob be the Asia thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Personally I would like to start Europe ASAP once summer starts because I don't want to be traveling Europe in the Winter so im going to do something which will upset my parents and use the money which they have been saving for years in a savings account which I get when I turn 18 XD which should cover most of Europe then I am also currently looking for like a weekend job, and just saving up in general all of this year. How about you ?

EDIT: ow also if I came back in winter time, worked and saved up then the following summer would prob be the Asia thing.

Well lucky you! I have to save all myself :frown: think i might be getting some money when i turn 18 but not sure how much :/ Well I still need quite a bit more money so I'll see about when I'm going later on :smile: good point about the winter though!
Reply 11
Since its Europe generally we wont need a vast amount of money, staying in youth hostels at night is cheap then traveling city to city would be done with coaches which is also pretty cheap, Most the of the money would probably be going to food and partying at night hahaha but well wait would you be drinking and doing much of that ? Im not sure how much I would be doing but I definitely would like to enjoy some of the nightlife in each city
Reply 12
Haha it is true :smile: hopefully I won't run out midway, would be pretty disappointing :L
Yes definitely up for some nightlife, really looking forward to being 18! :smile:
Reply 13
If we are both going to be up for this we 100% would need to meet and build bit of a friendship before the gap starts, any chance you are going to be going to Glastonbury next year ? that would be the perfect place for us to meet and have a good time at the festival :smile:
Have you thought about joining a tour? Guaranteed way to meet new people :smile:
Reply 15
If we are both going to be up for this we 100% would need to meet and build bit of a friendship before the gap starts, any chance you are going to be going to Glastonbury next year ? that would be the perfect place for us to meet and have a good time at the festival :smile:

I'd love to go to Glastonbury :smile: it's pretty hard to get the tickets for though. Who are you going with? Sorry just wondering but are you male or female? :L
Reply 16
Original post by fasteddy
Have you thought about joining a tour? Guaranteed way to meet new people :smile:

Oooo thanks :smile: does sound like a good idea
Reply 17
I'd love to go to Glastonbury :smile: it's pretty hard to get the tickets for though. Who are you going with? Sorry just wondering but are you male or female? :L

I'm planning on going with one of my friends, and I'm a male haha
Reply 18

Oh that's good :smile: I thought you were but you never know :L

Oh that's good :smile: I thought you were but you never know :L

Looks like you don't need me any more! :h:

For both of you though (regardless of whether you go together or alone) I would recommend Couchsurfing or youth hostels for your trip. I prefer Couchsurfing, as you get a local point of view (and it's cheaper) but hostelling is good for meeting other travellers.

Quick Reply

Latest