The Student Room Group

AAAA at as level

To anyone who gained AAAA or similar in as level , how much revision did you do, when did you start etc...

Scroll to see replies

I got the same bar one B ugh, but I was revising from te beginning of the year and always reading notes throughout so when it came to exam time I knew my stuff :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started revising in January and did a couple of hours most nights until the exams - I got AAAA. It is possible so just work hard and keep on top of the work, do all your homework and go over your notes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just worked in class for most lessons.

The ones I didn't I just crammed before the exam and it went well.

Revision wise I'd say maybe a week max before each exam.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

How I wish I was smart! :rolleyes:

Show off
Reply 6
I think I started doing bits around the Easter break, though it was study leave (around 12th May for AS and 3rd May for A2) before I got properly into it!
Edit: though when I was on study leave I was doing a full days work (10am-9pm, with breaks ofc!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I consistently revised since September

2-3hrs per day

L'evil is the last part just your way of making tsr students fall into that trap and lower the grade boundaries :P
I got A's in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at AS. Worked every lesson and through some of my frees. Didn't count doing homework as revision. Mock week in February gave me the shock I needed to get my butt in gear when I came out with a C in what I thought was my best subject. From then I revised in all of my frees. Started actual, very intensive revision a month before and I had to cram a lot in to go over everything (5 exams in one week) but half term split up my unit 1s and 2s. This year I'm going over my notes from the start of the year because I don't want that amount of stress this year - think I lost the will to live at some point.
Hope I didn't scare you too much :wink:, its a big step up but its possible. I also did this with a job, social life and a boyfriend, just not so much round exams because I'd locked myself in my room with a textbook on my head :tongue:.
Original post by thatitootoo
How I wish I was smart! :rolleyes:

Original post by Da Di Doo
Show off

I answered a question
Original post by ANEXIS kZstaR
L'evil is the last part just your way of making tsr students fall into that trap and lower the grade boundaries :P

Haha I was actually being generous with a week
Do homework etc. in your frees so you don't have to do it at home. I started revision about a week into the Easter holidays. I got Unit 2 covered before Unit 1 even though Unit 2 exams were later. It was just so that my memory would easily be jogged when I came back to Unit 2 in the week gap between Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams. Make sure you do all the past papers and extra exam questions of other sites (e.g. for Chemistry use a site like www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk). You'll know if you're gonna get 4 As because of how the revision goes. Remember not to be put off by target grades.
Original post by alpen
I consistently revised since September

2-3hrs per day

That is what I am doing but I am always tired when I get home from college but in all of my tests soo far I am getting 85% and higher
I just want to/need to get AAAA this year
What should I do help

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt unless you are ridiculously a genius.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aegyolawyer^.^
I doubt unless you are ridiculously a genius.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have too much faith a Levels being hard
Original post by toonervoustotalk
That is what I am doing but I am always tired when I get home from college but in all of my tests soo far I am getting 85% and higher
I just want to/need to get AAAA this year
What should I do help

First of all, ignore all those people who say 'I revise 5 hours a night' or whatever. They're either the most boring people ever or are huge liars. Human concentration can barely last 30 minutes let alone 2-5 hours, even with breaks it couldn't last that long every day.

You basically need to compile your notes regularly, and review (not revise) them. Practise the odd paper or essay question, get it marked and see how you do. Make sure you are able to explain your notes, not simply recite them. I find it's a good activity to tell a classmate about one thing you've studied in class without using words listed in your notes. Or see if you could make a presentation on a topic without consulting your notes, and show it to other people.

Get your exam technique right by experimenting with different styles and trying them out on papers. Chat with your teachers regularly, talk with your friends about the work you've done in class and you should be fine.

There's no real winning technique apart from reviewing your notes every now and then. Just remember to chill out and get involved with other things at college/school. Use your study periods when you can as well.
Work solidly throughout, try to enjoy your subjects and revision won't be a hassle.

ALWAYS recap things your not familiar with.

Do independent revision. For me all my classes were too slow so covered most of subject matter quickly.

I started properly revising in mid April, first exam was 13th May.

If you revise throughout the year you won't have too much to do at the end and you'll get good grades. Everyone knows that, everyone can tell you that it just depends if you personally can be asked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by buttered_peanut
I got A's in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at AS. Worked every lesson and through some of my frees. Didn't count doing homework as revision. Mock week in February gave me the shock I needed to get my butt in gear when I came out with a C in what I thought was my best subject. From then I revised in all of my frees. Started actual, very intensive revision a month before and I had to cram a lot in to go over everything (5 exams in one week) but half term split up my unit 1s and 2s. This year I'm going over my notes from the start of the year because I don't want that amount of stress this year - think I lost the will to live at some point.
Hope I didn't scare you too much :wink:, its a big step up but its possible. I also did this with a job, social life and a boyfriend, just not so much round exams because I'd locked myself in my room with a textbook on my head :tongue:.

Hey, I'm doing my four AS in the same subjects you did, how did you revise? from the textbook? when did you start doing past papers and did you do all of them? is it a good idea to make notes or is it better to just use notes from class and the textbook? thanks :redface:
I got definite As in Biology, Maths, Psychology and Philosophy and a possible A in English (please let the remark be good pleasepleaseplease) and I just made sure I understood everything in class and had my notes up-to-date. I started doing a few past papers around April time and in the couple weeks before the exams up to the evening before, packed in as many past papers as possible and studied the markschemes/examiner reports. With essay subjects, it's about nailing that exam technique as soon as you can.
Original post by HughMyron
Do homework etc. in your frees so you don't have to do it at home. I started revision about a week into the Easter holidays. I got Unit 2 covered before Unit 1 even though Unit 2 exams were later. It was just so that my memory would easily be jogged when I came back to Unit 2 in the week gap between Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams. Make sure you do all the past papers and extra exam questions of other sites (e.g. for Chemistry use a site like www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk). You'll know if you're gonna get 4 As because of how the revision goes. Remember not to be put off by target grades.

hey do you know any other useful sites for chemistry and other subjects? I clicked on the site you mentioned and it was brilliant, but unfortunately only covered the AQA and OCR syllabus and I do Edexcel! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest