The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

At what point is it okay to say 'that's enough' vis a vis characters on the PS?

On the one hand I'm pretty sure I've done all I can without overtly waffling in just over 3,800 characters, on the other hand, I have nearly 200 more to go?
Original post by NikolaT
At what point is it okay to say 'that's enough' vis a vis characters on the PS?

On the one hand I'm pretty sure I've done all I can without overtly waffling in just over 3,800 characters, on the other hand, I have nearly 200 more to go?

Copy and paste it into ucas and click preview to see if you're within the 47 line limit.
Original post by Red Fox
Copy and paste it into ucas and click preview to see if you're within the 47 line limit.

46/47 lines.

I could shorten it by 3 lines if I wanted to (amalgamating smaller paragraphs) but I think you've made a good point, there's hardly anything substantial I could add now. Thanks.
It's almost my birthday sadly I'm I retook the year so I'm about to 19 which is a downer that one of the oldest people in sixth form but lucky a few people from my year retook the year with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, the TSR general election voting is open (for those of you with 3 months on TSR and 100 posts).
Hello peeps,

I finished my A levels this year, I have a few AS and A2 AQA bio and chem books I'll never use again. Was hoping somebody could take them off my hands.

I'm living in London so I'll happily meet up with you at a tube station to give them ( I don't want to get kidnapped as much as you do!). I would post them but I'll only do so once I've recieved payment for them (me paying for postage obviously), you have my word! (unless you have a more secure way of posting them?) I'm also going to Warwick Uni soon so we could organise a meeting point in Coventry?

All prices are correct at the time of posting, might change. These are all used prices...but let's be honest my used is more or less definitely higher quality than their used...

Email me at [email protected], or send me a private message. But I will (most likely) respond quicker via email.
Chemistry

1) Student support materials for AQA AS Chemistry. Unit 1: Foundation Chemistry (collins)
Useful book. Shouldn't be bought alone, only in conjunction with other textbooks (i.e. nelson thornes), as it's very concise but can often miss out vital detail that could be asked in questions. Quality is very good, none written on. Obvious cosmetic damage after being in a bag for the last two years, but none of it impairing the 'learning experience' (The quality will be the same for all of the books unless stated otherwise)

Cheapest: Amazon used price incl. postage: £8.22, I'll sell for £5
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-AQA-Foundation/dp/0007268254/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411421397&sr=8-1&keywords=student+support+materials+as+aqa+foundation+chemistry

2) Student support materials for AQA AS Chemistry. Unit 1: Chemistry in Action (collins)
Same publisher as before, so the comments are the same. Slightly better quality, but similarly as above none of it impairing the content by i.e. ridiculous highlighting or anything.

Cheapest Amazon used price incl. postage: £5.29, I'll sell for £5
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-AQA-Chemistry/dp/0007268262/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

3) AS AQA chemistry CGP books
Similar style of the one above, where it's very concise so you miss out on vital details, should only be used to supplement learning or for particular things you don't understand, nevertheless, I got some use out of it. You literally can never have too many textbooks.

Cheapest Amazon used price incl. postage: £9.80, I'll sell for £6.50
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Chemistry-Complete-Revision-Practice/dp/1847621236/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411422315&sr=1-2&keywords=AS+AQA+chem+CGP+book

4) A2 AQA chemistry collins (SEE BOTTOM)
Very, very good book. Super informative. If you find the time to read this entire book I have absolulte faith in you, there are also about 4 pages of question per topic, and answers (some original, some from old exam papers)

Cheapest Amazon used price incl. postage: £11, I sell for £7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-AS-A2-Science-Chemistry/dp/0007268246/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411422580&sr=1-4&keywords=AQA+collins+a2+chemistry

Biology

1) CPG book AS AQA biology
I've got the same to say about this as I did the last CGP book, a lot of information but quite concise, so misses out on potentially vital information in exam questions. Nevertheless worth it, I'd say. A little bit of highlighting on the first 30 pages, but not that it obscures the text so it's annoying or impossible to read

cheapest amazon used price incl. postage: £7.80, I'll give to you for £5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Biology-Complete-Revision-Practice/dp/184762118X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411424734&sr=1-3&keywords=CGP+AQA+biology

2) Student support materials for AQA AS Biology. Unit 1: Biology and disease (collins) (X 2)

Same feedback as the chemistry ones. Concise, but missing out potentially vital detail, shouldn't be used by itself. No highlighting, Didn't even write my name in this one!

Cheapest amazon used price: £2.81, I'll give it to you for £1 (gotta pay for that train fare somehow)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-AQA-Biology/dp/0007268173/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411425859&sr=1-1&keywords=STUDENT+SUPPORT+MATERIALS+AS+BIOLOGY+AQA

3) Student support materials for AQA AS Biology. Unit 2: The Variety of Living Organisms (collins)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-AQA-Organisms/dp/B00DJFINVG/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411425859&sr=1-5&keywords=STUDENT+SUPPORT+MATERIALS+AS+BIOLOGY+AQA

Cheapest amazon used price: £13.64, I'll sell for £6
4) CPG book A2 AQA biology

Similar, but not he same to above. Except absolutely no highlighting. I found that there's a lot of information i.e. fieldwork techniques that are helpful to understand for how science works questions, but aren't on the exam specification. I found biol4 the hardest A level bio exam, so it's very helpful for me.

Cheapest amazon used price incl. postage: £8.15, I'll sell for £5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2-Level-Biology-AQA-Revision-Guide/dp/1847622593/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411424734&sr=1-4&keywords=CGP+AQA+biology

5) CGP book A2 biology (different to the one above)
very good book. It's like AQA have finally learned from their mistakes of being too brief/concise with their books. Very informative, and unlike the collins A2 chemistry guide there isn't an excess of information. Everything you read will be of use! Highly recommended. I haven't written anything in it apart from my name in the first page, no highlighting either.

Cheapest amazon used price incl. postage: £16.79. I'll sell it to you for £10 (it's THAT good)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2-Level-Biology-AQA-Student-Book/dp/1847627889/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411424734&sr=1-7&keywords=CGP+AQA+biology

6) Collins AQA A2 biology book (SEE BOTTOM)

Same feedback as the A2 chemistry version of this book. Very informative, you'll do well if you learn, understand, make notes on all of the topics. Also questions on every topic. Every topic there'll be information that you won't see in other textbooks, as it isn't on the specification but will really help you out with the how science works questions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-AS-A2-Science-Biology/dp/000726822X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411427026&sr=8-2&keywords=aqa+A2+biology+collins+textbook

Cheapest amazon used price incl. packaging: £10.02, I give to you for £7

Prices are negotiable.

Price for all Chem books £23.50
Only AS: £16.50
Only A2: £7
Price for all bio books £34
Only AS: £12
Only A2: £22

For the AQA A2 biology and chemistry books, I don't actually own them. I left them in my locker over the Y13 summer, and I asked a teacher and my chemistry teacher should have them. I SHOULD get them back, but I can't guarantee I willbe able to sell them. I'll be going to get them tomorrow. So if this message no longer exists it means I have them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 007anne
It's almost my birthday sadly I'm I retook the year so I'm about to 19 which is a downer that one of the oldest people in sixth form but lucky a few people from my year retook the year with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Happy earl birthday! :smile:
Anyone able to offer advice?
I'm currently deciding between Physics (applying to Oxford, Manc, Bath, Edinburgh and UCL) and Outdoor/Adventure Education (Chichester, Cumbria, UCLan, Liverpool John Moores and Worcester).
I'm predicted 4 A*s, got 5 As at AS and 10 A*s at GCSE, so yeah I'm pretty clever I guess. I do love physics, but I don't really want a career in it.
In summer I did World Challenge, and my expedition leader was telling us about what she usually does (leads activities at an outdoor education centre) and it sounds so cool. I really enjoy skiing and hiking, and want to take up canoeing. If I were to apply to one of these courses, I'd eventually get my Mountain Leader award, and be able to apply to World Challenge as an expedition leader. I also want to do some seasons ski instructing, which obviously a mountain leader award would help with, although it's not directly relevant.
I don't want to be in a run of the mill office job, but I also want a job where ultimately I can settle down. I also kind of feel like if I don't apply for Physics at a top university I'm kind of 'wasting' the fact that I'm clever and can ultimately do things that others can't.
I can't decide which course I want to do. If I go for Physics, I'd want to go to Oxford, so I have to decide pretty sharpish!!

If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful :smile:
Original post by emcat
Happy early birthday! :smile:

I spelled early wrong and now can't edit my post -.-
Original post by Planckton
I'm currently deciding between Physics (applying to Oxford, Manc, Bath, Edinburgh and UCL) and Outdoor/Adventure Education (Chichester, Cumbria, UCLan, Liverpool John Moores and Worcester).
I'm predicted 4 A*s, got 5 As at AS and 10 A*s at GCSE, so yeah I'm pretty clever I guess. I do love physics, but I don't really want a career in it.
In summer I did World Challenge, and my expedition leader was telling us about what she usually does (leads activities at an outdoor education centre) and it sounds so cool. I really enjoy skiing and hiking, and want to take up canoeing. If I were to apply to one of these courses, I'd eventually get my Mountain Leader award, and be able to apply to World Challenge as an expedition leader. I also want to do some seasons ski instructing, which obviously a mountain leader award would help with, although it's not directly relevant.
I don't want to be in a run of the mill office job, but I also want a job where ultimately I can settle down. I also kind of feel like if I don't apply for Physics at a top university I'm kind of 'wasting' the fact that I'm clever and can ultimately do things that others can't.
I can't decide which course I want to do. If I go for Physics, I'd want to go to Oxford, so I have to decide pretty sharpish!!

Is a degree necessary to lead outdoor activities? If not I would definitely apply for Physics and all the doors remain open.
Personal statement is now done! Woo! So relieved I've got it done now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personal statement is killing me. And i'm early entry for medicine fml :no:
Does anyone know of any good websites to help with editing tips and stuff?
I am getting mine done over the next few days. I am gonna use the TSR personal statement helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for a BA in History, my predicted grades are A*AA and also doing the EPQ ( my fourth )

My options are
Warwick AAAC
Cardiff AAA
Birmingham AAA
Southampton AAB
Royal Holloway AAB

Reasonable choices??

It's totally up to you, but remember that whichever you choose you can always change your mind later... If you go for Physics, especially at Oxford, chances are you'll end up in a decent enough job ... but whether you enjoy it is really the thing to consider. Sometimes though you have to think whether what may seem the "better" option is the best one for you. If the other course will lead you to a job that you love then it seems like the best option.
Remember that you can go to university at any age, so if in like 10 years time you feel you chose the wrong one you could always go back again?

Does the outdoor/adventure education need a degree or could you get like a different qualification instead?
3300 characters, it's getting painful to write ... each sentence takes about 10 minutes because everything I write seems terrible. Eugh, why UCAS? WHY?!??!?
Original post by Fuenciado
It's totally up to you, but remember that whichever you choose you can always change your mind later... If you go for Physics, especially at Oxford, chances are you'll end up in a decent enough job ... but whether you enjoy it is really the thing to consider. Sometimes though you have to think whether what may seem the "better" option is the best one for you. If the other course will lead you to a job that you love then it seems like the best option.
Remember that you can go to university at any age, so if in like 10 years time you feel you chose the wrong one you could always go back again?

Does the outdoor/adventure education need a degree or could you get like a different qualification instead?

Doesn't need a degree, but doing a placement as part of it would help to kind of bridge the gap between education and work, whilst gaining qualifications at the same time? Also could lead to geog teacher after pgce? I don't really feel ready to go straight into work experience!
I do want to go to uni now, because obviously the experience is completely different to doing it 10 years down the line!
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I'm applying for a BA in History, my predicted grades are A*AA and also doing the EPQ ( my fourth )

My options are
Warwick AAAC
Cardiff AAA
Birmingham AAA
Southampton AAB
Royal Holloway AAB

Reasonable choices??

Predicted A*AA, why not apply for an A*AA?
Original post by Fuenciado
3300 characters, it's getting painful to write ... each sentence takes about 10 minutes because everything I write seems terrible. Eugh, why UCAS? WHY?!??!?

Why don't you just write something then come back and edit/change it afterwards? That's what I'd do, anyway :redface:
Predicted A*AA, why not apply for an A*AA?

Could be that they can't find a course they want to do which requires A*AA. I've found myself in a similar position and got repeated lectures from teachers about how I'm not aiming high enough, but it's about the best course for you not the one with the highest entry requirements :smile:

On a different topic, my personal statement is done and my application is complete. Just waiting for a tutor reference before I send it, and then I can finally relax :biggrin:

Latest