The Student Room Group

Flat mates doing drugs. Is this acceptable?

Hi! I've just moved into a private london student hall and I met my flat mates! They've all be soooo lovely and we've got along so well but now i'm a bit worried about certain things that I found out!

I'm personally the type of person who doesn't smoke and only drinks alcohol on occasions and not regularly.

I honestly really really like the people in my flat and we all say that it couldn't have been any better because of how well we get along but what does bother me is that I've just found out that 2 of my flat mates take drugs - Mushrooms, Marijuana, MCAT, ketamine, Crystal Meth and ecstacy or at least have taken these! I've never even heard of most of them until 2 days ago lol! When I heard him say he's taken MCAT I thought he's applying for medicine in the USA because that's the name of the entrance exam lol! I'm honestly kind of became friends with them but now that I know about the drugs - I know it's none of my business but is it something that happens a lot! Should I avoid them and stay out of them? Honestly - when I heard things at first I refused to believe it until one of my flatmates said that she needs to see a doctor because of a side effect of the drugs she's been taking :O!

I'm definitely the type who wouldn't go into peer pressure and when they asked me I said that there's no way that I will take anything like that! I was shocked as I'm the type of person who is quite conservative like hate clubbing and stuff and honestly - when I see someone with a cigarette I try and avoid them and think negatively of them let alone if they take drugs. But it's just how nice they've been to me and been really getting along so well! Should I just ignore this fact and try and build better relationships with them! The one thing I don't want to happen is that we don't get along as we'll be together for the whole year!

Scroll to see replies

Fulfil your responsibilities as a law abiding citizen and report them to the authorities without hesitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome to university and the real world where people have habits and interests you might frown upon. Your flatmates are very unlikely to be the last people you meet that do drugs whilst in London...

From a fundamentals standpoint, their choices are theirs and unless they're trying to bully/pressure you into taking drugs with them, they are not necessarily bad people. There's probably much more to these people than what they choose to put in their bodies on the occasion.

Seeing as you're living together, you should probably try to at least be amiable about it and get to know who they are as people rather than getting on your high horse and turning your nose on them. If their drug use starts having a serious impact on the quality of your university experience, only then would I consider moving to another flat or finding other people to hang out with.

Personally, I only really see a problem if someone has a full blown addiction problem. Recreationally dabbling is hardly the worst thing in my eyes and they can lead to some pretty awesome experiences with the right people.

FYI, MCAT was a popular drug around 2008-2010 in Britain which was legally sold as 'plant fertiliser' before they rushed legislation through to make it Class B on the basis of relatively questionable information over its safety.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
welcome to university/the real world mate.

you'd be surprised on how many people from different walks of life take drugs.
Most people at uni will have some experience with drugs while they're there.

Don't believe the stereotype off all drug users being bottom feeders that are nothing but disruptive to society, because its not always true and schools tend to over exaggerate this. Unless they are trying to pressure you into doing drugs and forcing you out of your comfort zone I don't think you should avoid them. Chances are the drugs won't affect the way they act towards you, obviously it can become an issue in some cases, but the same is true of alcohol or gambling.

Though tbf meth is pretty abnormal for students...
Original post by Kabulkid
Fulfil your responsibilities as a law abiding citizen and report them to the authorities without hesitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure to what extent this guy is serious, but just in case: if you live in the UK, I don't believe you're breaking any laws in this situation unless you directly and intentionally aid or conceal any illegal activities in which your flatmates are involved.

Oh, and like Nidhogg_Rider above, I'd like to caution against assuming these are bad people simply because they take drugs. Even if you consider drug-taking a moral wrong, you have to appreciate they may have problems with addiction which aren't entirely their fault, and it is regardless only one aspect of their selves. That said, I would very much recommend trying not to get involved in any of their hard drug stuff. Bad things lurk over that horizon.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP do this

if you want to be a complete dickhead
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I've just moved into a private london student hall and I met my flat mates! They've all be soooo lovely and we've got along so well but now i'm a bit worried about certain things that I found out!

I'm personally the type of person who doesn't smoke and only drinks alcohol on occasions and not regularly.

I honestly really really like the people in my flat and we all say that it couldn't have been any better because of how well we get along but what does bother me is that I've just found out that 2 of my flat mates take drugs - Mushrooms, Marijuana, MCAT, ketamine, Crystal Meth and ecstacy or at least have taken these! I've never even heard of most of them until 2 days ago lol! When I heard him say he's taken MCAT I thought he's applying for medicine in the USA because that's the name of the entrance exam lol! I'm honestly kind of became friends with them but now that I know about the drugs - I know it's none of my business but is it something that happens a lot! Should I avoid them and stay out of them? Honestly - when I heard things at first I refused to believe it until one of my flatmates said that she needs to see a doctor because of a side effect of the drugs she's been taking :O!

I'm definitely the type who wouldn't go into peer pressure and when they asked me I said that there's no way that I will take anything like that! I was shocked as I'm the type of person who is quite conservative like hate clubbing and stuff and honestly - when I see someone with a cigarette I try and avoid them and think negatively of them let alone if they take drugs. But it's just how nice they've been to me and been really getting along so well! Should I just ignore this fact and try and build better relationships with them! The one thing I don't want to happen is that we don't get along as we'll be together for the whole year!

Are you sure? If they talk about taking meth they are probably talking about methadrone, the same thing a Mcat. Apart from a small gay scene, crystal meth is very rare in this country (that was in an official report, not stereotyping).

London seems to have a lot of drugs around (drinks prices?), so as you've said, it isn't just stereotypical druggie types you'll find doing them. Your housemates seem nice and probably are. Just politely explain you don't have any interest in drugs, and I'm sure you'll come to an arrangement you're happy about.
If you care about them try to talk to them about the dangers of the drugs. But remember you can't help those who don't want to be helped when it comes to this. If you see them going very downhill (this will happen sooner or later), try to support them and help them seek advice. Gooood luck
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
Welcome to university and the real world where people have habits and interests you might frown upon. Your flatmates are very unlikely to be the last people you meet that do drugs whilst in London...

From a fundamentals standpoint, their choices are theirs and unless they're trying to bully/pressure you into taking drugs with them, they are not necessarily bad people. There's probably much more to these people than what they choose to put in their bodies on the occasion.

Seeing as you're living together, you should probably try to at least be amiable about it and get to know who they are as people rather than getting on your high horse and turning your nose on them. If their drug use starts having a serious impact on the quality of your university experience, only then would I consider moving to another flat or finding other people to hang out with.

Personally, I only really see a problem if someone has a full blown addiction problem. Recreationally dabbling is hardly the worst thing in my eyes and they can lead to some pretty awesome experiences with the right people.

FYI, MCAT was a popular drug around 2008-2010 in Britain which was legally sold as 'plant fertiliser' before they rushed legislation through to make it Class B on the basis of relatively questionable information over its safety.

This, this, all of this.

Whether or not their drug taking is 'acceptable' isn't really your business. Unless they're causing you harm or distress, then let them get on with it. Some of my friends take drugs, and they're the loveliest people in the world. And not just cos they're high on MDMA. :tongue:
Original post by TurndownforWha
If you care about them try to talk to them about the dangers of the drugs. But remember you can't help those who don't want to be helped when it comes to this. If you see them going very downhill (this will happen sooner or later), try to support them and help them seek advice. Gooood luck

I'm sure they know more about drugs than op does so probably best not to teach grannie to suck eggs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's really up to you if you want to stay friends with them of course. Personally I'm not the kind of person who does drugs but a lot of my friends do a lot and I'm fine with that. It's their choice and they don't try and pressure me into them so I don't see the problem other than they're hurting themselves. If I were you I'd just not mention it again and if they keep mentioning it and you're uncomfortable just try and distance yourself from them. I definitely wouldn't report them unless they were either trying to pressure you into it or doing something serious like selling drugs.
Original post by TurndownforWha

...is patronising, ill-informed nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ye don't do this. No one likes a snitch.

Especially since the law is pretty stupid. You should be allowed to put whatever you want into your body without some overlord telling you not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fulfil your duty as a decent human being of a common law society that values individual liberty, and live and let live so long as no harm or loss is caused against anybody else.
Thanks for the lovely replies everyone!
honestly - they're amazing people! I've spent the whole day today with them - shopping and cooking and getting to know them I had so much fun and really liked them -I know it's only one day but I've known them for nearly a week now - it's only last night I found out about this drug! Obviously it's none of my business if they take drugs or not but it's honestly been great! I'm not the type to fall into peer pressure so it's good! The issue for me was that only coming to uni - I always had this stereotype of drug users being involved in other crimes, being dangerous and spiking drinks! Obviously you can't trust everyone :P! But actually getting to know them I'm seeing that they are great to hang around! i've decided to actually try and build stronger bonds and friendships with them :biggrin:!

Someone mentioned that I should tell the authorities and if I'm honest - it's none of my business what they do and it's what they do to their own bodies. I honestly don't even think it's any of the law's business either! It's their body and I think they can do whatever they want to it! Even if it's damaging.
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider

honestly - I completely agree with this! AS I said in my other post after actually getting to hang out with them - I've had so much fun and really like them! I've said that I don't and will not do drugs and honestly - they've never suggested it to me again :biggrin:!
Reply 17
Use it as a learning experience. Not everyone who partakes in the recreational use of drugs is an immoral, vicious person. They're people just like you.

Of course this doesn't mean you should use drugs if you're uncomfortable with the idea.
Stay well away is my advice.

I got invloved with those who used drugs in my youth and I have a caution for posession.

This follows me around now everywhere I go where a CRB check has to be done, very sad in todays society that I am judged on a caution I was given nearly 10 years ago.

However, I was the one who got invloved in smoking cannabis and now all I can do is discourage those from getting invloved in drugs.
Reply 19
You might as well join in...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending