The Student Room Group

Blair: Radical Islam Is A 'Global Problem'

http://news.sky.com/story/1339886/blair-radical-islam-is-a-global-problem

Tony Blair has told Sky News that radical Islam is a "global problem" that will take a generation to defeat.

Speaking to Sky's Adam Boulton from New York, the former prime minister said defeating the forces of radical Islam will need a "global response".

"I think President Obama is doing absolutely the right thing in assembling the broadest alliance against Isis," Mr Blair said, referring to Islamic State militants.

"(But) even if we deal with this Isis group, you've got a plethora of these types of groups, not just in the Middle East but in North Africa and elsewhere in the world.

"Looking at this broader issue of radical Islam ... this is a global problem.

"It requires a global response and it's going to take a generation - not one president or one prime minister - to defeat it."

Mr Blair helped cause this problem. Had there been no illegal Iraq invasion, a group like IS would never have popped up.

Scroll to see replies

I love how he said this statement as though he never had to do anything with the 'radicalisation of islam'. Agreed, the response/reaction ISIS is giving is independent to the actions taken 'against them'.
This was a problem caused by America that got out of hand..They funded Al Qaeda to begin with and couldn't keep them on a leash then whaddaya know? there's now Boko Haram, Al shabab, Houthis etc
He needs to eff off with such claims and actually do something…hate dickwads sitting around trying to be diplomatic and **** when all they do is really nothing except talk and talk and reallocate how money should be spent on projects that almost always never happen.
Not sure if correct, but isn't the high level of organisation due to ex Saddam Hussein officers?
Original post by navarre

Mr Blair helped cause this problem. Had there been no illegal Iraq invasion, a group like IS would never have popped up.

I hear what you are saying but we know there have always been wars and (Mr B hasn't caused them all!!!), we know there are many more to come.

The problem is the spirit behind it.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms". Ephesians 6:12
This is the same Blair who said that Islam was the religion of peace.
Reply 5
Blair is just an absolute bastard, it's a shame he still breathes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
He unwittingly helped to spread it but it would be childish to discredit what he says for that reason. Think about the claim of radical Islam being a global problem and anyone with a brain will see he is correct. Islam though, is not by nature a religion of peace and love towards one's fellow humankind. Islam's mission is to spread throughout the world because it is believed to be the will of Allah. It is spread by jihad, whether by infiltrating societies through persistently applied political pressure or by threat of violence. Historically Islam did not win converts simply by preaching but by the means utilised by Mohammed the Prophet himself - by beheading Christians, and rape and enslavement, all on a grand scale. In ISIL we are seeing the personification of Islam's will to consume and spread in it's most visceral and primordial form.

Reply 7
Original post by navarre

Original post by mayamiller
I love how he said this statement as though he never had to do anything with the 'radicalisation of islam'. Agreed, the response/reaction ISIS is giving is independent to the actions taken 'against them'.
This was a problem caused by America that got out of hand..They funded Al Qaeda to begin with and couldn't keep them on a leash then whaddaya know? there's now Boko Haram, Al shabab, Houthis etc
He needs to eff off with such claims and actually do something…

Agreed. He knew he had a significant part to play in it too. It's irresponsible of him not to have tried to make up for it by extending peaceful relations and so forth before things ever got out of hand.
Nonsense. The Labour party love extremist Islam and have been appeasing them for years. Don't let this Labour pillock fool you, he's happy for Jihadi's to reside in the UK as long as they vote Labour.
Reply 9
Oil money talks
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Nonsense. The Labour party love extremist Islam and have been appeasing them for years. Don't let this Labour pillock fool you, he's happy for Jihadi's to reside in the UK as long as they vote Labour.

Yes I don't understand it, Blair is right about Islamists, so why did his government decide Britain wasn't vibrant enough and then import millions of Muslims into Britain?
Original post by sarsoora
Oil money talks

Aye!
Original post by ash92:)
Agreed. He knew he had a significant part to play in it too. It's irresponsible of him not to have tried to make up for it by extending peaceful relations and so forth before things ever got out of hand.

What good is attaching blame now? Tony has a lot of experience in these affairs, to ignore him is lunacy. Also haha at oil, yes economic conerns were partly a motivation for the war, leaving such a supply in the hands of a lunatic dictator pursuing self sufficiency was never a good idea, Saddam was looking to build weapons of mass destruction (even if none were found, giving him time would have been stupid), he had used them previously, and he would use them in the future. He was a murdering tyrant whose reign we cannot even conceive, to even have lived under such a man I cannot think of the difficulties of everyday life. Life is very difficult in Iraq now, it has been for a very long time, but it's not because of men like Tony Blair, it's because of men like Baghdadi and Sadam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Time Tourist
Yes I don't understand it, Blair is right about Islamists, so why did his government decide Britain wasn't vibrant enough and then import millions of Muslims into Britain?

There is a difference between Islamists and Islam, I know it suits your agenda to say otherwise, and I know there is clearly a problem between political and religious Islam (Indeed they may not be quite so seperate) but there are 2 billion Muslims, and how many are terrorists? Less than ten thousand? Maybe i'm being naive and there is many more, but it's still not a great amount (comparatively).
(edited 9 years ago)
Far too much Blair hatred for the fact that a large swathe of the Middle East is incapable of governing themselves. Your basically saying that they should live under genocidal tyrants because at least then they won't be terrorists.

Extremism must be eradicated.
Reply 15
I'm all for taking out radical extremists but PLEASE can we not arm people who'll turn around a few years later and start another war.

If america could join in with their own troops, that'd be much better. Leave us out of it though, we have no interest
Original post by jew stuart mill
There is a difference between Islamists and Islam, I know it suits your agenda to say otherwise, and I know there is clearly a problem between political and religious Islam (Indeed they may not be quite so seperate) but there are 2 billion Muslims, and how many are terrorists? Less than ten thousand? Maybe i'm being naive and there is many more, but it's still not a great amount (comparatively).

The statistics indicate there are around 1.6b Muslims around the world. The exact number of terrorists is unknown. What is known is that the numbers are enough to do immense damage to the inhabitants of the world as we have seen.

If the world sits back and does nothing then their numbers will increase and then what? These people want to kill everyone who doesn't agree with their view of Islam. Muslims who do not agree have already in their thousands been killed.

Millions upon millions of people have been misplaced in the middle east and are refugees in neighbouring lands, who are ill equipped to cope with them without international aid and help.

Women have been taken captive and sold as slaves (who on earth are buying these women????) and men and children are being killed in their masses as this band sweep across their lands, violating villages and towns in their wake.

Its obvious these 'not a great amount' can do a lot of damage.
Original post by Jubz1
I'm all for taking out radical extremists but PLEASE can we not arm people who'll turn around a few years later and start another war.

If america could join in with their own troops, that'd be much better. Leave us out of it though, we have no interest

Yes, we have had evidence of this happening in the past but don't you think the whole world needs to unite against this threat?
Reply 18
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
Yes, we have had evidence of this happening in the past but don't you think the whole world needs to unite against this threat?

That'd be ideal yes, but, actual armed forces should take part. Not some groups which could change their views and soon as their initial aims have been fulfilled.
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
The statistics indicate there are around 1.6b Muslims around the world. The exact number of terrorists is unknown. What is known is that the numbers are enough to do immense damage to the inhabitants of the world as we have seen.

If the world sits back and does nothing then their numbers will increase and then what? These people want to kill everyone who doesn't agree with their view of Islam. Muslims who do not agree have already in their thousands been killed.

Millions upon millions of people have been misplaced in the middle east and are refugees in neighbouring lands, who are ill equipped to cope with them without international aid and help.

Women have been taken captive and sold as slaves (who on earth are buying these women????) and men and children are being killed in their masses as this band sweep across their lands, violating villages and towns in their wake.

Its obvious these 'not a great amount' can do a lot of damage.

I agree with what you are saying, my point is simply that there are only a minor amount relative to the Muslim population, it is deeply unfair to discriminate against all Muslims because of the actions of a few, and will likely do little more than increase their cause.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending