The Student Room Group

AAAA at as level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I started revising 3-4 weeks before the exams. I did almost no revision before that despite my meh mock grades. I procrastinate way too much, even during my 'revision'.

I did Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
Original post by happysmile
hey do you know any other useful sites for chemistry and other subjects? I clicked on the site you mentioned and it was brilliant, but unfortunately only covered the AQA and OCR syllabus and I do Edexcel! :frown:

There is http://www.chemguide.co.uk/ but that's strictly information, I don't think it gives exam-style questions. Check this site out too http://chemrevise.org/3-edexcel-revision-guides/ . Again, no questions but I used that for AQA and it was really useful. I'm using that site for A2 Chemistry since it's better than the book my school gave lol. May I ask what you got at GCSE in the subjects you're taking at A level?
Original post by thatitootoo
How I wish I was smart! :rolleyes:

It's not smart to only start revising a week before the exam. That attitude will be much more dangerous at A2.
Original post by aranlong
It's not smart to only start revising a week before the exam. That attitude will be much more dangerous at A2.

We shall seeeee
Original post by aranlong

What I meant was that the person who made that post (L'Evil Fish), can afford to not revise as much as everyone else has to. 'cause he is not your average student; When it comes to A-levels, laziness is not as detrimental to very bright students, unfortunately :mad:
What I meant was that the person who made that post (L'Evil Fish), can afford to not revise as much as everyone else has to. 'cause he is not your average student; When it comes to A-levels, laziness is not as detrimental to very bright students, unfortunately :mad:

Are you calling me lazy? :tongue:

Okay I am but still
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Okay I am but still

No, not lazy, just EXTREMELY laid back! :mmm:
By the way, :mad:
Reply 27
I did almost nothing until after the Easter holidays. Maybe it's because I'm just clever rather than good at remembering my revision. It's more important to understand stuff as you go along rather than leaving it up to revision - It results in better grades and minimal revision. #TopTip
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Okay I am but still

TSR wont let me rep any more of your posts, which is hard when everything you say is so true :colone:
Original post by sytner9
I did almost nothing until after the Easter holidays. Maybe it's because I'm just clever rather than good at remembering my revision. It's more important to understand stuff as you go along rather than leaving it up to revision - It results in better grades and minimal revision. #TopTip

Prove to us that you are clever.
for maths, my strongest subject, just crammed the night before in each exam, 99% UMS

for chemistry I was convinced I didnt want to do it anymore so I didnt revise at all, 78% UMS

english and psychology were a waste of time so I looked over the notes the night before the exam, 79% and 78% UMS respectively

dropped english and psychology and now do maths, futher maths and chemistry (actually going to put effort in for chem this year though)
I achieved 4 A grades in subjects generally agreed upon as 'facilitating'.

1. Firstly, complete the work your teacher has given you.

2. Build a good relationship with your teacher.

3. If you are confused on a certain topic or your teacher's explanation then ask. I wish I had done this more (Ridiculously I was afraid of looking like a moron which is ironic, considering how the rest of my class either failed or scraped Cs (not that receiving Cs are bad)

4. Do past papers until you achieve a high A. A good rule of thumb is if you are achieving As before the exam, you can expect an A (given the minimal extent of disruptions i.e. Mitigating circumstances) - It's rare a B grade student achieves an A on a fluke. There are definitive, consistent skills that must be acquired in achieving the highest grade boundaries. Some students carry this assumption forward before the exam, I don't think the risk is worth taking, see BEING PREPARED.
Original post by Lularose83
To anyone who gained AAAA or similar in as level , how much revision did you do, when did you start etc...

I got 5 As at AS level this year. I started making revision notes after the lessons from September (seriously). When it came to the time of exams I wasn't stressed out by not having revision notes, I already had them.

I would revise for every topic test you get, it seriously helps. I didn't properly which was a mistake.

Review your notes every night, read the textbook on the relevant chapters so when you go to the lesson you're seeing the content the second time which reinforces it in the brain more quickly.

I started getting serious around mocks time though they were low As and one B in Biology. In the end of the year biology was what I got my highest mark in! :biggrin:
Original post by Lularose83
To anyone who gained AAAA or similar in as level , how much revision did you do, when did you start etc...

languages I did no revision for. Economics revision started about a week before the exams as did politics revision...I was very lucky with my timetable tbh (probably partially the reason I did well!!) because I had my first exam on the 14th of May (a week to revise just for that economics paper), next exams were on the 20th and 21st (a week to do solid revision for 2 subjects (ie. six hours a day on each)) then I had my final exams on June 2nd and June 4th.

The gaps between each exam meant that I could do all my revision for that single subject in 7 days and still cover everything in great depth. I didn't particularly put in tons of effort throughout the year, but I revised for the mocks etc.

AS' aren't as hard as people say they are. Don't stress!
No, not lazy, just EXTREMELY laid back! :mmm:
By the way, :mad:

Laid back is the way

Though I end up getting stressed about silly things
Original post by pryngles
TSR wont let me rep any more of your posts, which is hard when everything you say is so true :colone:

Haha cheers
Reply 35
1. Use the specification to revise. Don't use your notes - examiners do not write exams based on what notes you have taken.

2. Understand stuff in lesson as you go along - read ahead before/after lessons.

3. Complete all past papers, including old specifications. For the sciences and Maths, using other exam boards can also help.

4. Examiners' reports and generally perfecting exam technique will help massively too.

Source: 4A's at AS, revision began few days after easter holidays
Original post by pryngles
for maths, my strongest subject, just crammed the night before in each exam, 99% UMS

for chemistry I was convinced I didnt want to do it anymore so I didnt revise at all, 78% UMS

english and psychology were a waste of time so I looked over the notes the night before the exam, 79% and 78% UMS respectively

dropped english and psychology and now do maths, futher maths and chemistry (actually going to put effort in for chem this year though)

not trying to be pedantic here, but ABBB aren't 4As :colondollar:

Also it must be a real bitch knowing you were 1 and 2 marks off an A in 3 out of your 4 subjects...
Original post by HughMyron
There is http://www.chemguide.co.uk/ but that's strictly information, I don't think it gives exam-style questions. Check this site out too http://chemrevise.org/3-edexcel-revision-guides/ . Again, no questions but I used that for AQA and it was really useful. I'm using that site for A2 Chemistry since it's better than the book my school gave lol. May I ask what you got at GCSE in the subjects you're taking at A level?

Hey, I got A* at GCSE for the subjects I'm now taking at AS, which is biology chemistry physics maths - I've used chemguide.co.uk and I guess its okay, the second site you've given seems brilliant! (and there's stuff for Edexcel too! :biggrin: may I ask which AS subject you've dropped (if you did) and which A2 subjects are you studying now?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonokay
I got the same bar one B ugh, but I was revising from te beginning of the year and always reading notes throughout so when it came to exam time I knew my stuff :biggrin:

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEE Same story here, i was 1 ums off an A FFS...

Maths (A) Further Maths (A) Economics (B) and German (A)

I just did maths at home and in school on weekdays with 30 mins of german a day, with economics on the weekend
Original post by ghostly1010
I achieved 4 A grades in subjects generally agreed upon as 'facilitating'.

1. Firstly, complete the work your teacher has given you.

2. Build a good relationship with your teacher.

3. If you are confused on a certain topic or your teacher's explanation then ask. I wish I had done this more (Ridiculously I was afraid of looking like a moron which is ironic, considering how the rest of my class either failed or scraped Cs (not that receiving Cs are bad)

4. Do past papers until you achieve a high A. A good rule of thumb is if you are achieving As before the exam, you can expect an A (given the minimal extent of disruptions i.e. Mitigating circumstances) - It's rare a B grade student achieves an A on a fluke. There are definitive, consistent skills that must be acquired in achieving the highest grade boundaries. Some students carry this assumption forward before the exam, I don't think the risk is worth taking, see BEING PREPARED.

THIS! Holy crap - dude, i am impressed, this literally hit the nail on the head... This is THE way to get the 4As we all strive to get. Cheers mate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest