The Student Room Group

List of "tacky" tech such as Apple, Dr.Dre etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Let's see if I get any flack for this...consoles.
And why did you skip over iPads? Tbh, all tablets really imo

Completely disagree.

Sure they are tacky if people have a tablet simply for the sake of having a tablet, but they are an incredibly useful thing for a lot of people.

For example I take mine to every single lecture at University so I can have the digital copy of the lecture notes or any presentation that the lecturer is using right in front of me, while taking up a small enough portion of my desk that I can still have plenty of room for a notepad as I like taking written notes, but it also allows me to pull up any files of my own that are useful or annotate directly onto the lecture notes. Sure I could do most of that on a laptop, except for writing directly onto the lecture notes, but it would be much bulkier, noisier and in a crowded lecture theatre would take up much more space than I would feel comfortable with.
Original post by Byakko
No gaming peripheral is more suited than its higher quality counterpart. Unless you love useless gimicks like programmable keys, macros, a million extra keys, lightup effects, unnecessary amounts of DPI etc

Just throwing money away - and gaming mice have cheap build qualities for example and are almosy always riddled with problems such as clicks wearing off and registering a single click as multiple ones or none at all.

You tell that to the Logitech MX518 that I bought in 2005 or the Razer Deathadder which I bought in 2006.

Both of which have been in use almost every single day since then, a lot of that time for RTS games where they are subjected to a very high volume of clicks in a very short amount of time, yet still work absolutely perfectly with the only new part on them being the feet have been replaced a couple of times, but given the amount of use there is no mouse on the planet that wouldn't need the feet replacing every few years to keep them perfectly smooth.
Original post by Byakko
No gaming peripheral is more suited than its higher quality counterpart.

This is a pretty stupid statement. It's basically saying nothing is more suited than something better suited.
Reply 43
Original post by mackemforever
You tell that to the Logitech MX518 that I bought in 2005 or the Razer Deathadder which I bought in 2006.

Both of which have been in use almost every single day since then, a lot of that time for RTS games where they are subjected to a very high volume of clicks in a very short amount of time, yet still work absolutely perfectly with the only new part on them being the feet have been replaced a couple of times, but given the amount of use there is no mouse on the planet that wouldn't need the feet replacing every few years to keep them perfectly smooth.

For your use of course it won't wear. But try playing a game like Gunz, breaks in under a week. I've went through so many Deathadders - to the point where I just went back to the oldest but most durable standard Argos £5 mouse. Gaming mice are ridiculously flimsy, which is deceptively ok for most games. Just not games like Gunz.

This is a pretty stupid statement. It's basically saying nothing is more suited than something better suited.

No, anything "gaming" just adds gimmicks. The build quality is cheap plastic. It's tacky to the point where I can't look at gaming mice anymore. The issues I've had with them is ridiculous. Same with gaming keyboards, gaming headphones (which are TERRRRRRIBLE).

Just no. For gods sake buy some decent quality peripherals. Stop falling for these useless cheap tacky crap.
Original post by Byakko
For your use of course it won't wear. But try playing a game like Gunz, breaks in under a week. I've went through so many Deathadders - to the point where I just went back to the oldest but most durable standard Argos £5 mouse. Gaming mice are ridiculously flimsy, which is deceptively ok for most games. Just not games like Gunz.

No, anything "gaming" just adds gimmicks. The build quality is cheap plastic. It's tacky to the point where I can't look at gaming mice anymore. The issues I've had with them is ridiculous. Same with gaming keyboards, gaming headphones (which are TERRRRRRIBLE).

Just no. For gods sake buy some decent quality peripherals. Stop falling for these useless cheap tacky crap.

Smells to me like a troll, or emphasised BS.
Original post by Byakko

So your counter argument to me saying that my mouse have both been in use for more than half a decade, gaming almost every day and frequently playing everything from RTS to Shooters, being used at home, thrown in a bag to go to LAN parties, flung into the bottom of a box every time I move to or from University, and let me repeat this, going through nearly a decade of this, is to say that one specific game would cause me a problem?

May I suggest you go get your head checked.

*EDIT* Just went and googled Gunz, and you know what, I did play that game, for about a year, I had just forgotten what it was called as it's been so long since I gave it up for better things.

Sure, some mice now are pretty crappy, I've had a couple of new mice break on me in the last few years, but there are also a host of them which are still made very well.

As for other peripherals, I have a "gaming" mechanical keyboard, same keyboard that I have had for the last five years. Again, in use every single day, playing games every single day, as well as writing near constant essays for University and being treated the exact same way as my mice, thrown around a lot and generally not taken very good care of, and the only problem with it is that the paint on some of the keys has rubbed off. I don't think you can exactly say that the build quality on this is bad despite it being a "gaming" product.

It's no different to any market, there are cheap products and there are expensive ones. There are badly made products and there are well made ones. Whether something is marketed as a "gaming product" is irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you get a charger, you can charge your laptop after your 5 hours away from an electricity source in a first world country.
I think they can come back.........the issue is that they got to stick to their own OS, allow developers in. Essentially its gotta be something that no other OS can offer like when there was bbm, then whatsapp pretty much ruined them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alfissti
Sour grapes thread.

Not really. A lot of stuff has a certain cult-ishness to it

Original post by Ciel.
Apple products are VERY good and it's a fact. Before apple, I had to replace laptops at least every 2 years because they would just break. Not to mention Windows is terrible, and you have to restart it million times per year because it constantly freezes and has glitches. Comparing to that, my macbook NEVER did. And I've had it for 6 years! Same with my iphone, still have my 4c. Never had a single problem with it, comparing to samsungs, nokias etc, they'd break after a year or two. I guess you've never owned an Apple product.

If reliability is your concern, then why not get Asus? Apple products cost far more

http://www.bitsonline.org/news/111-asus-leads-in-laptop-reliability-beats-all-other-competitors-

Windows is ****. Ill give you that, though Microsoft allows you to install it on any device. Apple do not let you install their OS, on other hardware - yeah you can make "hackintoshes" but they're never 100%

I'd personally pefer to use linux, but because of Apples macho branding, companies are developing more for Apple (ie: you dont even get the industry standard Microsoft office suite on linux, at least natively)

I call bull****, on your iPhone 4c, being stronger than a Nokia as well

If you wanted durability, youd get one of these:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Meet-the-toughest-most-durable-rugged-smartphones-money-can-buy_id51766

As Apple seems hell bent at making the lightest things on the market (ie: solder every thing to the board, so we can make more money when things go wrong, because we built that in to it) so they're hardly going to be the "most durable"

Slam a high end Asus laptop from 6 foot, and a macbook air from 6 foot. They'll both probably crack, but the macbook will probably be in a worse condition
Original post by Byakko
I had an iphone 3g when it came out, in school, then an iphone 4 when it came out. never dropped mine but I know they shatter in a single drop.

I have a galaxy s5. so why would I be "tearing" - I have unlimited 4g wherever I go, or are you crying? :smile:

Considering I've flung both my 4S and 5 across the room a few times and dropped them both onto concrete multiple times that's total BS that they shatter on a single drop.
Original post by de_monies
Not really. A lot of stuff has a certain cult-ishness to it

If reliability is your concern, then why not get Asus? Apple products cost far more

http://www.bitsonline.org/news/111-asus-leads-in-laptop-reliability-beats-all-other-competitors-

Windows is ****. Ill give you that, though Microsoft allows you to install it on any device. Apple do not let you install their OS, on other hardware - yeah you can make "hackintoshes" but they're never 100%

I'd personally pefer to use linux, but because of Apples macho branding, companies are developing more for Apple (ie: you dont even get the industry standard Microsoft office suite on linux, at least natively)

I call bull****, on your iPhone 4c, being stronger than a Nokia as well

If you wanted durability, youd get one of these:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Meet-the-toughest-most-durable-rugged-smartphones-money-can-buy_id51766

As Apple seems hell bent at making the lightest things on the market (ie: solder every thing to the board, so we can make more money when things go wrong, because we built that in to it) so they're hardly going to be the "most durable"

Slam a high end Asus laptop from 6 foot, and a macbook air from 6 foot. They'll both probably crack, but the macbook will probably be in a worse condition

Probably for their laptops but iPhones are one of the most easily repairable phones on the market.
Reply 51
Original post by Camoxide
Considering I've flung both my 4S and 5 across the room a few times and dropped them both onto concrete multiple times that's total BS that they shatter on a single drop.

They've got the durability of a wine glass. We have evidence via drop tests filmed and uploaded to Youtube.

Then search Galaxy S5 drop test. Compare the difference.

iPhones were ok back in the day but there are so many better alternatives now. I owned two iPhones until I tried Samsung Galaxy. The difference was huge, I still thank my stars for discovering android.

Most people own android now anyway. Apple will always exist and some fans will stick with their iPhones, do what you want. If you like Dr.Dre headphones then I don't care either. I'll just label you as tacky, since you've decided on inferior tech for double the price.

Enjoy the bent iPhone 6's too. Aluminium AND glass, ouch. They're seriously not holding back - they actually don't care about durability anymore.
The Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6 both use gorilla glass 3 so there's no reason why one would be significantly more durable than the other.

Android owns the mid and low end market. Apple still has the high end market... Considering Apple just sold 10 million iPhone in one weekend I don't think they're going anywhere.
Dre headphones are completely different. They are an inferior product where as iPhones vs android is down to OS preference.

Also: Best smartphone camera on the market: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/experts-declare-the-iphone-6-camera-the-best-ever-on-a-smartphone-1266815
Original post by Byakko
They've got the durability of a wine glass. We have evidence via drop tests filmed and uploaded to Youtube.

Then search Galaxy S5 drop test. Compare the difference.

iPhones were ok back in the day but there are so many better alternatives now. I owned two iPhones until I tried Samsung Galaxy. The difference was huge, I still thank my stars for discovering android.

Most people own android now anyway. Apple will always exist and some fans will stick with their iPhones, do what you want. If you like Dr.Dre headphones then I don't care either. I'll just label you as tacky, since you've decided on inferior tech for double the price.

Enjoy the bent iPhone 6's too. Aluminium AND glass, ouch. They're seriously not holding back - they actually don't care about durability anymore.

(forgot to quote in above post)
Reply 54
Original post by Camoxide
The Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6 both use gorilla glass 3 so there's no reason why one would be significantly more durable than the other.

Android owns the mid and low end market. Apple still has the high end market... Considering Apple just sold 10 million iPhone in one weekend I don't think they're going anywhere.
Dre headphones are completely different. They are an inferior product where as iPhones vs android is down to OS preference.

Also: Best smartphone camera on the market: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/experts-declare-the-iphone-6-camera-the-best-ever-on-a-smartphone-1266815

Mm good point.
Reply 55
The windows equivalent of Airs/Pro Retina are more expensive.
The thing is that back at the advent of 1080p we weren't already pushing the humanly possible, from now the advantages of higher resolutions get smaller and smaller. All we really get from 4k is slightly sharper images and being able to watch TV at greater distances (which in the UK at least isn't that big a deal for the most part). From my experiences playing with the resolution scaling in BF4 in the past and playing around with DSR since it was activated earlier today there really isn't a massive difference. Fair enough it's not quite the same as real 4k but just like in the tech demos the benefits are just in the very fine details, after all now pushing resolutions up is really just applying SSAA without the down-sampling. Since playing with DSR my interest in native 4k is lower than ever.

And after putting the resolution on windows up to 4k and seeing how atrocious the UI scaling is I've been completely put off until they fix it.
(edited 9 years ago)

And after putting the resolution on windows up to 4k and seeing how atrocious the UI scaling is I've been completely put off until they fix it.

At the moment, 4k is just a good way to heat your graphics card up and not a lot more.

4k streaming really gets me. I'd rather a higher bit rate 1080p really.

Ultrawide, now that is something I could get in to.
Original post by mikeyd85
At the moment, 4k is just a good way to heat your graphics card up and not a lot more.

4k streaming really gets me. I'd rather a higher bit rate 1080p really.

Ultrawide, now that is something I could get in to.

Given how cool Maxwell runs even under heavy load and with a slight Oc (not bothered going heavy yet) I have no issue with pushing it up to higher res for the marginal increase in quality of some aspects of some scenes (unless you know what you're looking for in a side by side image 1080p vs the pseudo 4k you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference) and given how little power it draws (and that I'm in halls) I don't really mind running at the higher resolutions in game when it doesn't compromise frame rate. As I said in the previous post, given how close 1080p 23" is to the human limit, even for somebody with fairly exceptional vision, I have limited interest in 4k when I get some other tech for the same price with more noticeable effects, namely a smaller resolution increase (for a fair bit less) and/or higher refresh rates.

Already dropped windows back to 1080p because I had a slightly less elegant but far more practical (in that it gave me back a usable UI) solution to the problem I was having. Well, less practical too until I get used to it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Tacky isn't really the word I'd use to describe that tech. Apple products and gaming peripherals are luxury items, tacky is a word I'd use to describe cheap knock-offs.

I used to be wooed by cold hard technical specs instead of going with what's popular, feeling smug I'd done the research and therefore know better. Also it's cool to hate Apple,Microsoft whatever's popular right ?

I bought the IRiver instead of the iPod, the Sony reader instead of the kindle, an android after my iPhone. And you know what ? It was often a mistake. Kindle was better than the Sony reader and IMO my old iPhone feels far more polished and better quality than the new android, iOS is far better.

Also I'm not convinced that gaming branded peripherals are inferior. My mechanical "gaming" keyboard was only £50 at overpriced pc world(I went for cherry blues being a coder). I'd be interested in links to mice you think are better at the same price point as the gaming mice from Logitech, Razor, Steelseries.

I think the lesson here is you can't just assume the masses are ignorant idiots who can't read a spec sheet. Sometimes the popular products actually deserve the rep.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest