The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e aí rapaz
Aren't they playing a second string team though? Forest are top of the championship so hardly a laughable side tbf.

Mostly a team of people who could be in the first XI, but aren't for some reason, such as Townsend.

On that topic, I bloody jinxed it.
Man city -

Kolarov, Sagna, Mangala, Fernandinho, Toure, Navas, Dzeko = 7 regular players (more if you count milner..)

Chelsea -

Cahil - Azp - Oscar - Schurrle = 4 regular players

Arsenal = 2 regular players (wilshire, sanchez) 3, if you count chambers, but he is only a starter when players are injured..

I get that a lot of you dont value this cup.. but the other top teams at least manage to keep more of their normal starters playing.. having 9 players who are either new, youth, or old non-starters.. is just to much, and is a throw-away..

If this was a tournement that non of the top teams cared about then great.. but I would put money on atleast one of them getting to the final.. and giving their players a real taste of the latter stages of tournements.. something that arsenal players, up until last year, were really lacking.

Is it a big deal.. no.. certianly not to wenger.. - but for me its just a wasted opertunity, for no gain.

I would have loved to have done a city, started a strong team, hammered the oposition, then gone into the weekend massive on confidence.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Man city -

Kolarov, Sagna, Mangala, Fernandinho, Toure, Navas, Dzeko = 7 regular players (more if you count milner..)

Chelsea -

Cahil - Azp - Oscar - Schurrle = 4 regular players

Arsenal = 2 regular players (wilshire, sanchez) 3, if you count chambers, but he is only a starter when players are injured..

I get that a lot of you dont value this cup.. but the other top teams at least manage to keep more of their normal starters playing.. having 9 players who are either new, youth, or old non-starters.. is just to much, and is a throw-away..

If this was a tournement that non of the top teams cared about then great.. but I would put money on atleast one of them getting to the final.. and giving their players a real taste of the latter stages of tournements.. something that arsenal players, up until last year, were really lacking.

Is it a big deal.. no.. certianly not to wenger.. - but for me its just a wasted opertunity, for no gain.

I would have loved to have done a city, started a strong team, hammered the oposition, then gone into the weekend massive on confidence.

City and Chelsea may have played more higher calibre regular players, but that's because they have better depth and rotate their squad more anyway. If we had played more of our starting 11, beat soton and then lost to spurs cos of fatigue, fans would go mental.
Man city winning (emphatically) spurs winning, Chelsea winning, Liverpool won...

So we're the only top side to have gone out? If you don't count Man utd...

Lol oh well.
Original post by New Slaves
Deborarosa to take Peggles throne as resident strong independent black woman with a stick up her arse

LMAO aww:colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by e aí rapaz
City and Chelsea may have played more higher calibre regular players, but that's because they have better depth and rotate their squad more anyway. If we had played more of our starting 11, beat soton and then lost to spurs cos of fatigue, fans would go mental.

I agree.. but i see that as something that is our own fault (and wengers)

Lets be honest, we all knew it was stupid going into a season with 6 defenders for 4 positions..

The result? we have an injury crisis, and no rotation at all..

Similar with the midfield, going in with only arteta/flamini for one position..

Wenger added depth up front, sanchez, campbell, welbeck - sort that out fine.. plenty of depth now, especially when walcott is back..

And as ever we are stacked in attacking midfielders..

But anything behind the attacking midfielders, and we are shockingly light..

I mean he even said that a defender was his proirity.. but then it just never happened..

This was all an avoidable situation.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Man city winning (emphatically) spurs winning, Chelsea winning, Liverpool won...

Lol oh well.

Hardly comparable, we had a bloody difficult draw. Besides, Liverpool only just scraped through, as are Chelsea.
Reply 287

Lol oh well.

why would you not count Utd.

they won the league 2 years ago, you last won in 2003.

other than playing in champions league, (incidentally united have even gone on to win it, unlike arsenal), what makes you think arsenal are a top side, if utd aren't. if you want to talk commercially, they are even the bigger side commercially.

they just had the worst finish in the past 10 years, and came 7th. you had your best season in 10 years and scraped 4th.
Hopes for the draw:

City - Chelsea
Tottenham - Liverpool

That way Chelsea and Liverpool might get knocked out next round.
Original post by swarly
why would you not count Utd.

they won the league 2 years ago, you last won in 2003.

other than playing in champions league, (incidentally united have even gone on to win it, unlike arsenal), what makes you think arsenal are a top side, if utd aren't. if you want to talk commercially, they are even the bigger side commercially.

they just had the worst finish in the past 10 years, and came 7th. you had your best season in 10 years and scraped 4th.

Top side generally means Champions League side, perhaps stretched to Europa League. Man Utd were in neither last year, and if their performances so far this year are anything to go by, that wont change. Using history as an excuse is just poor, they may have won X and Y, but last year and this year, they are not Top 4, and maybe Top 6, regardless of how rich they are.
Reply 290
Original post by Arkasia
Top side generally means Champions League side, perhaps stretched to Europa League. Man Utd were in neither last year, and if their performances so far this year are anything to go by, that wont change. Using history as an excuse is just poor, they may have won X and Y, but last year and this year, they are not Top 4, and maybe Top 6, regardless of how rich they are.

its not exactly ancient history though is it.

from their league winning side, which regulars are missing? Carrick and Giggs. It's not exactly a completely different team that dominated the whole league 2 years ago.

and on that logic Anderlecht and Ludogorets would be a top side, but not United?

and they were in fact in the champions league last year. progressing further than arsenal too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia

I think you mean Man Utd are not in either this year
Original post by swarly

from their league winning side, which regulars are missing? Carrick and Giggs. It's not exactly a completely different team that dominated the whole league 2 years ago.

and on that logic Anderlecht would be a top side, but not United?

Ancient history or not, it is history. A lot can change in 2 years, and no amount of 'but we still have X player' will change that. The fact is you were once a fearsome team who dominated, and who caused every team in Europe to get scared when they walked into Old Trafford. These days, you can't hold on to a 3-1 lead against Leicester. Anderlecht are one of the top sides for their league, United aren't. Not sure how you are having trouble understanding?
Original post by Arkasia
Hardly comparable, we had a bloody difficult draw. Besides, Liverpool only just scraped through, as are Chelsea.

No excuses though. :redface:

Original post by swarly
X

Why are you getting emotional about it? It's only because it's a well documented fact that Man Utd have been on such poor form recently, so I gave them the benefit of doubt and put them up as an exception, they're still finding their feet. Please don't drag me into what Jam has been complaining about in the last few pages because that's what it's probably going to lead to, not a civilised football debate but a stupid argument.
Original post by h3isenberg
I think you mean Man Utd are not in either this year

Woops, my mistake. I meant they did not finish in a position last year to qualify for this year's one, and so this year translates to next year. Again, sorry.
No excuses though. :redface:

What a silly thing to say. Of course there are excuses, especially when a strange and unfair comparison is being made :tongue:
Original post by Arkasia
What a silly thing to say. Of course there are excuses, especially when a strange and unfair comparison is being made :tongue:

Sorry, was just a bit annoyed earlier. What I meant was you are absolutely correct, we had a tough draw and the only thing that's making the defeat easier to bear is the fact that we faced a fellow pl club. Regardless of that fact, because of the 'expectations' we carry as a club people would expect us to beat Southampton anyway especially at home and that's why I said no excuses :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 297
Original post by Arkasia
Ancient history or not, it is history. A lot can change in 2 years, and no amount of 'but we still have X player' will change that. The fact is you were once a fearsome team who dominated, and who caused every team in Europe to get scared when they walked into Old Trafford. These days, you can't hold on to a 3-1 lead against Leicester. Anderlecht are one of the top sides for their league, United aren't. Not sure how you are having trouble understanding?

you couldnt hold on to a 4-0 lead to newcastle. whats your point. sometimes a team will let go of a lead.

but anderlecht are in the champions league herego they are a top side by your logic.

not sure what you think im having trouble understanding? If Everton didn't do such a bottle job last season and beat arsenal to fourth, would you also have stopped being a top side?
Original post by swarly

and on that logic Anderlecht and Ludogorets would be a top side, but not United?

and they were in fact in the champions league last year. progressing further than arsenal too.

And Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Scholes, Cleverley (lol) Kagawa and Welbeck
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol I'm curious as to how I'm viewed now.

That reminds me, I love sczc and all but he's not a very good penalty saver is he? When was the last time he's saved a pen...Area of improvement detected. Tbf though we don't concede that many penalties :colone:

2012 against Liverpool at anfield. Against Suarez in fact.

Latest