The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Adnan Januzaj
And Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Scholes, Cleverley (lol) and Valencia

i meant starting 11 wise.

evra! thought i forgot someone.

vidic barely featured, was out long term injured for large parts of title winning season. ferdinand was poor, barely made a difference, memories of Bale ripping him a new one :moon:

scholes was a rotation as was cleverley.

kagawa and welbz didnt really break the starting XI either did they.

and valencia is still around. (he was in poor form back then too, albeit not this bad)

Evra is the only player who was decent in the title dominating side, that you no longer have.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
Hopes for the draw:

City - Chelsea
Tottenham - Liverpool

That way Chelsea and Liverpool might get knocked out next round.

Why would you want your rivals playing less games?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Sorry, was just a bit annoyed earlier. What I meant was you are absolutely correct, we had a tough draw and the only thing that's making the defeat easier to bear is the fact that we faced a fellow pl club. Regardless of that fact, because of the 'expectations' we carry as a club people would expect us to beat Southampton anyway especially at home and that's why I said no excuses :redface:

People would expect that, doesn't mean it will happen. Last time we lost at home was to Chelsea, in exactly the same fixture this time last year in the COC.

Original post by swarly
you couldnt hold on to a 4-0 lead to newcastle. whats your point. sometimes a team will let go of a lead.

but anderlecht are in the champions league herego they are a top side by your logic.

not sure what you think im having trouble understanding? If Everton didn't do such a bottle job last season and beat arsenal to fourth, would you also have stopped being a top side?

That was in 2011, this was last week. Why are you getting so angry because you refuse to openly admit United are not as good as they used to be? Sometimes a team will let go of a lead, but if they were as good as you seem to think United were, they would not have such a consistently bad form. 4-0 against MK Dons? Please.

Anderlecht are in the CL because they are one of the top teams in their league. United are not in the CL because they are not one of the top teams in their league. My logic is simple and easy to follow.

Again, you are bringing up 'ifs' and 'buts'. How about this: what if Arsenal didn't do such a bottle job last year and held on to their 120+ day lead at the top of the PL? No point talking hypotheticals to push a point, because they are too easily refuted.
Why would you want your rivals playing less games?

I want to limit the amount of trophies Chelsea and Liverpool could potentially get their hands on, and with the squad size of Chelsea, playing one or two more COC games with their 2nd or 3rd teams won't make much of a difference in terms of PL or CL.
Reply 304
Original post by Arkasia
x

so just to clarify: Arsenal are a top side, but United are not. That is your point, yes?
Original post by jam278
2012 against Liverpool at anfield. Against Suarez in fact.

Di Natale in 2013? Udinese CL qualifier. Or was that 2012 too but earlier?

EDIT: Benteke in the 1-3 home defeat to Villa (he scored the rebound but still). Also didn't he save one from Dzeko relatively recently?
(edited 9 years ago)

Fulham v Derby

[font="inherit"]Liverpool v Swansea
MK Dons v Sheffield United

Shrewsbury v Chelsea

[font="inherit"]Tottenham v Brighton
Stoke v Southampton

Yet again Chelsea get an easy draw. Liverpool/Swansea will be a good game, as will Stoke/Southampton, and City/CP/Newcastle will be alright. Tottenham will breeze through.

Original post by jam278
2012 against Liverpool at anfield. Against Suarez in fact.

Yeah the double save against Kuyt, saw earlier. That's just poor tbh.

Just saw that Chelsea drew Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury?? Are you kidding me. You lots are literally being handed the trophy. Congrats man.
Original post by Pete_91

That was 2011 lol. 2012 you lot didn't have a qualifier cos you came 3rd and Chelsea won CL.

Just saw that Chelsea drew Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury?? Are you kidding me. You lots are literally being handed the trophy. Congrats man.

Don't hate the player hate the game.

Spurs got Brighton and west brom got bournemouth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by swarly
so just to clarify: Arsenal are a top side, but United are not. That is your point, yes?

Currently (as in, as of 2014/15), yes.
Original post by swarly
i meant starting 11 wise.

evra! thought i forgot someone.

vidic barely featured, was out long term injured for large parts of title winning season. ferdinand was poor, barely made a difference, memories of Bale ripping him a new one :moon:

scholes was a rotation as was cleverley.

and valencia is still around. (he was in poor form back then too, albeit not this bad)

Ferdinand was in the team of the year brah. The ones you say didn't feature much all played more than Giggs who you mentioned (apart from Scholes).

In 12-13 the starting 11 was like:

DDG
Rafael Ferdinand Evans Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Young
RVP

Young and Cleverley weren't playing every game but they played most in their positions.
It's DDG, Rafael, Evans, Rooney and RVP that have kept their places, although Evans and RVP could lose theirs and Carrick could get his back. So 4-5 of the same 11. The team's had a pretty rapid turnaround.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91

That was like August 2011, CL qualifier 2nd leg.
Original post by Arkasia
I want to limit the amount of trophies Chelsea and Liverpool could potentially get their hands on, and with the squad size of Chelsea, playing one or two more COC games with their 2nd or 3rd teams won't make much of a difference in terms of PL or CL.

It's the league cup, no one really cares. Liverpool won it in 2012 while at their lowest point and Dalglish still got sacked. Anything to make them less likely to get top 4 is useful to me, we've seen already the weakness of their squad.

You have a point with Chelsea's squad size although it means even less to them. Not bothered either way with Chelsea as we won't be competing with them.
That was like August 2011, CL qualifier 2nd leg.

Yeah realised I had that wrong.

But either way he saved vs Villa last season at home (Benteke scored the rebound).
Reply 314
Original post by Arkasia
Currently (as in, as of 2014/15), yes.

lul.

kden.

lets compare record against top sides at the end of season and h2h.

see united possess this ability to actually turn up against top sides and not roll over and bend over.
Szcesny's save against Udinese in 2011 was worth 5 or 6 saves tbf in its importance at that time. And that penalty save against Suarez was absolutely top quality.

Ive always liked Szcz and think he's already one of the best in the country. Big weakness for me however is his focus in certain games as he has these little moments of madness when he cant get his head together. His split second reaction saves are also way ahead of his 1v1 saves tbf. But he is still only 24 btw. At the same age Dave Seaman was playing for QPR and yet to be capped by England so he's got a long long time to improve on his game. His distribution was pony not long ago and that's come along leaps and bounds.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's the league cup, no one really cares. Liverpool won it in 2012 while at their lowest point and Dalglish still got sacked. Anything to make them less likely to get top 4 is useful to me, we've seen already the weakness of their squad.

You have a point with Chelsea's squad size although it means even less to them. Not bothered either way with Chelsea as we won't be competing with them.

I suppose so, a bit like you winning the Community Shield last year. Mickey Mouse cup (a view I hold for our win this year as well). Happy they drew Swansea though, that should be a good game. Chelsea vs Shrewsbury though :angry:
Reply 317
Ferdinand was in the team of the year brah. The ones you say didn't feature much all played more than Giggs who you mentioned (apart from Scholes).

In 12-13 the starting 11 was like:

DDG
Rafael Ferdinand Evans Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Young
RVP

Young and Cleverley weren't playing every game but they played most in their positions.
It's DDG, Rafael, Evans, Rooney and RVP that have kept their places, although Evans and RVP could lose theirs and Carrick could get his back. So 4-5 of the same 11. The team's had a pretty rapid turnaround.

Ferdi was in the team of the year:eek:

i distinctly remember facepalming several times at Carrick-Giggs midfields? It was a regular occurence?
Original post by swarly
lul.

kden.

lets compare record against top sides at the end of season and h2h.

see united possess this ability to actually turn up against top sides and not roll over and bend over.

If you have not been banned by then, then sure. If it means that much to you then I agree to that, wouldn't want you to cry now, would we?
Original post by Arkasia
I suppose so, a bit like you winning the Community Shield last year. Mickey Mouse cup (a view I hold for our win this year as well). Happy they drew Swansea though, that should be a good game. Chelsea vs Shrewsbury though :angry:

Decent draw for us too, Sheffield United at home!

Latest