The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Which uni's are the best AAA courses?
I'm wondering if having only one AAA is a bit reckless, so if anyone has some AAA uni's they like, I would love to hear which ones!
Original post by H0PEL3SS
I'm wondering if having only one AAA is a bit reckless, so if anyone has some AAA uni's they like, I would love to hear which ones!

I wouldn't suggest applying for AAA unis just for the sake of it - e.g. if you only get an offer from them, would you be happy going there?? I'm going for all A*AA unis because tbh I wouldn't really be satisfied at any other uni's.

To answer your question, Leeds, Surrey and Birmingham are all AAA with Bath and Bristol giving out AAA offers in certain rare circumstances
Reply 382
Original post by H0PEL3SS

economics and econometrics at Bristol, it's AAA as supposed to A*AA for straight Econ, the modules are the same for the first year and you could switch second year to straight Econ. Birmingham is a good AAA too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383
Original post by tabim26
i was wondering if i would be at a disadvantage applying to a mix of straight econ & econ and finance

You shouldn't be, what units are you thinking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys i need your help, i would like to know whether these universities seem realistic with my grades.
GCSES 10A*'s
AS LEVELS- Biology A Chemistry A Maths A Economics C
A2 Predictions - Maths A* Chemistry A Economics A and also taking up AS-further maths A

I am thinking of applying to
Oxford- econ and management / Cambridge -Economics
Warwick Economics
UCL Economics
Nottingham Economics
Queen Mary Economics

any advice/ help would be appreciated
Reply 385
Hi people.

I'm taking a year out and applying for 2015 entry. I applied for straight economics last year, UCL was my firm choice but I didn't get accepted in the end as I got A*A*A but the A was in Maths. Ended up not going to my insurance and instead decided to resit a module of Maths and take up further maths in my year out.
I think this year I'm going to apply for PPE as I'd considered Economics and Politics last year though I've not 100% decided yet. At the moment my choices are a bit mixed as I've got PPE at UCL(new course though), PPE at Warwick, Government and Economics at LSE.
Not sure whether to apply for Oxford or not as only got 3 A*s at GCSE and I've read taking a year out can disadvantage you.
Reply 386
Hi, I recently launched a site that lists entry requirements for courses in the UK. Here is the page for economics - I hope it helps!

www.entryrequirements.com/economics

Thanks!
Original post by mattj94
Hi, I recently launched a site that lists entry requirements for courses in the UK. Here is the page for economics - I hope it helps!

www.entryrequirements.com/economics

Thanks!

Wow this is brilliant!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388
Original post by LFR
You shouldn't be, what units are you thinking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Straight econ at warwick, notts and maybe birmingham. maybe econ & finance at bristol and surrey. you?
Original post by lchoudhry
Guys i need your help, i would like to know whether these universities seem realistic with my grades.
GCSES 10A*'s
AS LEVELS- Biology A Chemistry A Maths A Economics C
A2 Predictions - Maths A* Chemistry A Economics A and also taking up AS-further maths A

I am thinking of applying to
Oxford- econ and management / Cambridge -Economics
Warwick Economics
UCL Economics
Nottingham Economics
Queen Mary Economics

any advice/ help would be appreciated

I think you have a real shot at most. The issue will be your C in econ AS but you've got your predicted up to an A which is good. Having a C in As econ won't be good for Cambridge as it will significantly bring down your ums average. How high were the A's? Also you might want to apply for one that's slightly lower as an insurance just in case
Original post by Askaud
Hi people.

I'm taking a year out and applying for 2015 entry. I applied for straight economics last year, UCL was my firm choice but I didn't get accepted in the end as I got A*A*A but the A was in Maths. Ended up not going to my insurance and instead decided to resit a module of Maths and take up further maths in my year out.
I think this year I'm going to apply for PPE as I'd considered Economics and Politics last year though I've not 100% decided yet. At the moment my choices are a bit mixed as I've got PPE at UCL(new course though), PPE at Warwick, Government and Economics at LSE.
Not sure whether to apply for Oxford or not as only got 3 A*s at GCSE and I've read taking a year out can disadvantage you.

Depends on what course at Oxford.. E&m??
I'm giving Oxford a shot with 4A*s at gcse and I know someone who got in with less
How much do unis actually take the predicted grades into account? I'm predicted A*AAA and I'm worried I'm not going to get an offer from LSE, UCL or Warwick where the usual applicant gets predicted more than that.
Reply 392
Original post by joey4live
How much do unis actually take the predicted grades into account? I'm predicted A*AAA and I'm worried I'm not going to get an offer from LSE, UCL or Warwick where the usual applicant gets predicted more than that.

Tbh predicted grades are pretty important, but yours are ok. I asked my teachers to change mine last year and they did as long as they were reasonable. What were your AS grades? And did you have any 90% + ums?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joey4live

If you're not predicted an a* in maths that'll be a bigger issue than the number of a*s from what I hear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahrheit
Hey, going to be applying for econ 2015 entry, I've already done 2 years of a maths degree at Warwick (decided to withdraw for various reasons...), my results there varied from 8 percent to 85 percent depending on the module, not sure if the unis I'd be applying to would request a transcript though? My average was pretty low anyway, my results this June were an average of about 35% percent and I would have had to have resat next summer had I decided to stay.

Anyway, A Levels/AS: A*A*(Maths + FM)A(Bio)B(German)bb(Chem, General Studies)
GCSEs: 7A*, 2A, 1B

Now the thing I'm wondering is, how will my lack of any sort of qualification in Economics prior to this point affect my application to top tier unis? No university should really be in any doubt over my ability to handle the Maths as I've (kind of) made it through two years of Warwick Maths, but is it worth just sitting an A level in econ next summer so they can give me a conditional offer instead of unconditional if they're not sure about me?

Also I was thinking of applying to UCL for two courses (Econ, Econ + 1 year abroad) as it said it's possible to to this on their website and I think I'd really like it there. Is anyone else considering doing something similar? Also is it the same admissions tutors who deal with both these courses, so it'd be either I get an offer from both or neither, kind of thing?

Thanks!

I'm also applying to L101 and L100!!! Spoke to the admissions tutor and you do in fact have to apply to both these courses separately. I think that we will either be offered both, one or neither!
Original post by tomixox
I'm also applying to L101 and L100!!! Spoke to the admissions tutor and you do in fact have to apply to both these courses separately. I think that we will either be offered both, one or neither!

Hey, maybe I'll see you there! Would you, like me, accept the L101 over he L100?
Original post by Wahrheit
Hey, maybe I'll see you there! Would you, like me, accept the L101 over he L100?

100000%
It's my first choice even above oxford! Where else are you applying?
Original post by tomixox
100000%
It's my first choice even above oxford! Where else are you applying?

Yeah honestly, spending a year in America would be SO awesome! I'm still not 100% sure yet lol but definitely Cambridge and UCL, what about you?
How's everyone's applications going? :biggrin:
Original post by LFR
Tbh predicted grades are pretty important, but yours are ok. I asked my teachers to change mine last year and they did as long as they were reasonable. What were your AS grades? And did you have any 90% + ums?

I got AAAB at AS and I averaged 85+ ums in Further Maths and Econ but the college policy meant I wasn't predicted A*s in them.

Original post by NinjaPandaa
If you're not predicted an a* in maths that'll be a bigger issue than the number of a*s from what I hear

I am predicted an A* in Maths so should I stop worrying so much?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending