The Student Room Group

University of Sussex

I'm considering going to look at the university of Sussex, but I was looking at the rankings and it doesn't seem to rank particularly highly.
I was just wondering if anyone knew how employers look at Sussex and if it's seen as a reputable uni.
Reply 1
Sussex is a prestigious uni to some extent with mediocre to high career prospects
Reply 2
What other law universities are you applying for ?
Reply 3
Original post by curseduse
What other law universities are you applying for ?

Warwick, Durham, Lancaster, Kent
Original post by hannah697
Warwick, Durham, Lancaster, Kent

Durham is the best out of your list and then Warwick.

Sussex isn't a bad university but it isn't as prestigious as the two I mentioned.

If you really want to go to Sussex and you have the grades for Durham (A*AA) then choosing Sussex is fine because when applying to law firms/chambers (assuming you want to be a lawyer) they will see you could have gone to a 'better' university but chose to not go, as they can see your A Level results.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Da Di Doo
Durham is the best out of your list and then Warwick.

Sussex isn't a bad university but it isn't as prestigious as the two I mentioned.

If you really want to go to Sussex and you have the grades for Durham (A*AA) then choosing Sussex is fine because when applying to law firms/chambers (assuming you want to be a lawyer) they will see you could have gone to a 'better' university but chose to not go, as they can see your A Level results.

Ah thanks for that, I didn't think about the fact they can see A level results!
Would Lancaster be seen as prestigious/well regarded?
Original post by hannah697
Ah thanks for that, I didn't think about the fact they can see A level results!
Would Lancaster be seen as prestigious/well regarded?

I really couldn't say. I haven't done much research on Lancaster but I have heard some good things about it though

Maybe this will help:
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf

Just remember that prestige isn't everything. A lot of the times people from certain universities are recruited a lot more because there are A Level cut off points (usually AAB). People getting higher than AAB usually go to a 'prestigious' Russel Group university so people from other universities are automatically filtered out.

As long as you get a high 2:1, very good A Levels and LOTS of relevant ECs and work experience then you will be fine.
You'll also need good interview skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending