The Student Room Group

Is it Worth Asking my Teachers to Put in What UMS I got in my A2's, for Medicine

Hello guys,
I'm taking a gap year, and applying for Medicine, and so have already achieved my A2 results. I got 290/300 in my Biology A2 (with 98% and 100% in 2 of the units), and was wondering if it is worth it to ask my teachers, if they want to of course, to mention that in their subject reference.

I'm only asking because people usually mention this sort of thing if they get like 300/300 or 298/300, and 290/300 seems a tad low to mention this sort of thing, but I don't know, so I'm asking for some help. Thanks!:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I doubt that it would affect an admissions tutor's decision to interview you or not. As a gap year applicant, most unis wouldn't care if you got anything above AAA, never mind high UMS. Still worth a shot though (it will not disadvantage you or make your application look "not so impressive", if that's what you're worrying about) but it's not necessary.

Unless you're going for Cambridge where it is a requirement to state your UMS?
Reply 2
Original post by Mehhhh
Well, I doubt that it would affect an admissions tutor's decision to interview you or not. As a gap year applicant, most unis wouldn't care if you got anything above AAA, never mind high UMS. Still worth a shot though (it will not disadvantage you or make your application look "not so impressive", if that's what you're worrying about) but it's not necessary.

Unless you're going for Cambridge where it is a requirement to state your UMS?

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot.
I got 60/60 in one of my Chemistry Modules, and 96/100 in one of my Maths modules, do you think I should ask my teachers if they could put it in, to show admissions I am able to achieve highly across all my A2's?

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by ΘTheta
I got 60/60 in one of my Chemistry Modules, and 96/100 in one of my Maths modules, do you think I should ask my teachers if they could put it in, to show admissions I am able to achieve highly across all my A2's?

Thanks!

Go for it! Just a reference anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by ΘTheta

Thanks!

I think if you did that then the other units would be conspicuous in their absence from the reference. Places like Cambridge seem to value consistently sky high UMS. Just about everyone can get extremely high UMS in a handful of modules - potentially at the expense of other modules. If I'm honest I really don't think it's worth mentioning unless the high marks are extremely consistent (with just one or two blips, perhaps).
Reply 5
Original post by Ronove
I think if you did that then the other units would be conspicuous in their absence from the reference. Places like Cambridge seem to value consistently sky high UMS. Just about everyone can get extremely high UMS in a handful of modules - potentially at the expense of other modules. If I'm honest I really don't think it's worth mentioning unless the high marks are extremely consistent (with just one or two blips, perhaps).

Most of my other units are within the 85-90% range in therms of UMS, which I think is still quite high, but not worth mentioning.

Spoiler

What do you think?
But I dunno, do you think it would negatively impact on my application if it is mentioned?
Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by ΘTheta
Most of my other units are within the 85-90% range in therms of UMS, which I think is still quite high, but not worth mentioning.

Spoiler

What do you think?
But I dunno, do you think it would negatively impact on my application if it is mentioned?
Thanks

I don't know, Maths seems vaguely impressive, but the others seem firmly in the realm of 'I got marks that fit in the range required for an A' and they'll know that already. I just honestly don't think it'll be anything unusual for them, as I expect people who mention their UMS will be right up there with 95%+ in every unit.
Reply 7
Original post by Ronove
I don't know, Maths seems vaguely impressive, but the others seem firmly in the realm of 'I got marks that fit in the range required for an A' and they'll know that already. I just honestly don't think it'll be anything unusual for them, as I expect people who mention their UMS will be right up there with 95%+ in every unit.

Oh right. So it's not worth mentioning then?

But there is not harm in mentioning it then?

Reply 8
Original post by ΘTheta
Oh right. So it's not worth mentioning then?

But there is not harm in mentioning it then?

It's really up to you and your referee. I'm not sure how exactly it would be perceived if an admissions officer found it odd - whether they would wonder why your referee mentioned it (and then question whether you pushed for it or whether they're an inexperienced referee, etc). It's really hard to say. I imagine it's something only an admissions officer could tell you.
Reply 9
Original post by Ronove
It's really up to you and your referee. I'm not sure how exactly it would be perceived if an admissions officer found it odd - whether they would wonder why your referee mentioned it (and then question whether you pushed for it or whether they're an inexperienced referee, etc). It's really hard to say. I imagine it's something only an admissions officer could tell you.

1. For all my previous posts, I was referring to subject references, and not my personal references, will that change anything?

2. For the underlined, I won't push my references to put anything down, as its their references, but I will only bring up the idea and ask.

I suppose its best not to mention the specific unit results, just in case they perceive in a negative light. Thanks

3. But for Biology specifically, do you think it will bring any advantage if my subject reference mentioned I got 290/300 in A2, or not? What do you think? Thanks:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ΘTheta
1. For all my previous posts, I was referring to subject references, and not my personal references, will that change anything?

2. For the underlined, I won't push my references to put anything down, as its their references, but I will only bring up the idea and ask.

I suppose its best not to mention the specific unit results, just in case they perceive in a negative light. Thanks

3. But for Biology specifically, do you think it will bring any advantage if my subject reference mentioned I got 290/300 in A2, or not? What do you think? Thanks:smile:

I'm fairly sure you still only have one reference. The 'subject references' are just things that will be passed on to your head of year or whatever, who will use them as inspiration or collate them. It doesn't make a difference.

I didn't suggest you were pushing for anything, I said that they might read it as you having done that. The fact that you didn't push it to happen doesn't mean they wouldn't take that as having been the case. Nor will they necessarily read it as you having pushed, even if you did.

I personally would not mention it at all, because of how much it would stick out that the other subjects weren't mentioned. Again, this is just what I personally would choose. No-one can tell you what to do - except perhaps admissions tutors. This is one case where you would perhaps do well to listen to the advice your referees give you, if you bring it up with them.

Did you get an A* in Biology, with 290/300 at A2? There's really not that much leeway in between A* and full UMS - you're again just saying 'I got marks which were entirely standard for the grade I received'. Unless you somehow only got an A, that is.
Reply 11
Original post by Ronove
I'm fairly sure you still only have one reference. The 'subject references' are just things that will be passed on to your head of year or whatever, who will use them as inspiration or collate them. It doesn't make a difference.

I didn't suggest you were pushing for anything, I said that they might read it as you having done that. The fact that you didn't push it to happen doesn't mean they wouldn't take that as having been the case. Nor will they necessarily read it as you having pushed, even if you did.

I personally would not mention it at all, because of how much it would stick out that the other subjects weren't mentioned. Again, this is just what I personally would choose. No-one can tell you what to do - except perhaps admissions tutors. This is one case where you would perhaps do well to listen to the advice your referees give you, if you bring it up with them.

Did you get an A* in Biology, with 290/300 at A2? There's really not that much leeway in between A* and full UMS - you're again just saying 'I got marks which were entirely standard for the grade I received'. Unless you somehow only got an A, that is.

I see. I might as well not suggest this to my subject teachers about the UMS thing, just in case.

I already gave ideas and suggested to my non-subject reference (also known as a subject reference) to talk about qualities of me that shows that I would make a good doctor, and to use examples of the things I done in school to reflect this. Is this a good idea do you think? Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by ΘTheta
I see. I might as well not suggest this to my subject teachers about the UMS thing, just in case.

I already gave ideas and suggested to my non-subject reference (also known as a subject reference) to talk about qualities of me that shows that I would make a good doctor, and to use examples of the things I done in school to reflect this. Is this a good idea do you think? Thanks

This is really beyond what an applicant should be thinking about. An academic reference is an academic reference, or so I thought. Your PS (and interview) is for demonstrating your potential to be a doctor, the reference is generally about you as a student. These are the kinds of questions you're not going to get an answer to, unless you ask admissions tutors and they deign to respond (after all, you shouldn't really have anything to do with what is going in your reference).
Reply 13
Original post by Ronove
This is really beyond what an applicant should be thinking about. An academic reference is an academic reference, or so I thought. Your PS (and interview) is for demonstrating your potential to be a doctor, the reference is generally about you as a student. These are the kinds of questions you're not going to get an answer to, unless you ask admissions tutors and they deign to respond (after all, you shouldn't really have anything to do with what is going in your reference).

I see.
Is it strictly against the rules if I give some ideas (to my personal reference writer) and to mention some things for my personal reference writer to put into my personal reference?
Thanks
Original post by ΘTheta
Hello guys,
I'm taking a gap year, and applying for Medicine, and so have already achieved my A2 results. I got 290/300 in my Biology A2 (with 98% and 100% in 2 of the units), and was wondering if it is worth it to ask my teachers, if they want to of course, to mention that in their subject reference.

I'm only asking because people usually mention this sort of thing if they get like 300/300 or 298/300, and 290/300 seems a tad low to mention this sort of thing, but I don't know, so I'm asking for some help. Thanks!:biggrin:

Probably won't hurt given they're excellent. And if you're applying for Cambridge, then it's a must.
Reply 15
Original post by kittyb99
Probably won't hurt given they're excellent. And if you're applying for Cambridge, then it's a must.

Cambridge supplies an extra form for UMS results (or at least they used to). I've never heard of them asking for them in the reference. And the OP's UMS are probably not good enough for a decent shot at Cambridge (trying to be kind here).
got 295/300 bio a2 didnt ask teacher to state it, because I already said that I got 97% at Biology A-level overall in my ps.
Reply 17
Original post by Ronove

Hello,
How could the university deduce that from reading the reference?:confused:
Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by ΘTheta
Hello,
How could the university deduce that from reading the reference?:confused:
Thanks

Because they've seen it all. And because an experienced referee (which they may or may not be able to work out your referee is) would most likely not choose to put those UMS results in themselves.
Reply 19
Original post by Ronove
Because they've seen it all. And because an experienced referee (which they may or may not be able to work out your referee is) would most likely not choose to put those UMS results in themselves.

I read my previous reference (when I was in year 13), one of my teacher said what I got in one of my units, and I had no influence in causing that decision at all.

Would it be a problem for the admissions if they think a student was "pushing" in a reference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending