The Student Room Group

I LOVE planes...(picture)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by askew116

I took this while waiting to board the beauty to LAX :biggrin:

Nice shot, but what do you prefer - the B747 or the A380?!
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
What about this....? I've seen the Vulcan a few times now, yet I don't know if most/ if not all of them are out of service now?

XH588 is the only airworthy Vulcan remaining. It's kept in the air purely by public donations and it's been on the brink of being grounded due to lack of funds for a few years now. It's still going, just about, and hopefully will be for years to come!

:love:
:colone:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

:love:
:colone:
I've got two of those!
Nice shot, but what do you prefer - the B747 or the A380?!

I haven't actually flown the A380 yet, although in Feb 2016 I'm going to Australia with Emirates, and the DXB-SYD sector is operated by an A380, so I'm looking forward to that experience!
Reply 45
Original post by askew116
I haven't actually flown the A380 yet, although in Feb 2016 I'm going to Australia with Emirates, and the DXB-SYD sector is operated by an A380, so I'm looking forward to that experience!

Emirates are an amazing airline to fly with too...I've found that any middle-eastern airline is fantastic though. I've recently flown with Oman Air and Qatar Airways - unbelievable!
Original post by uberteknik
I've got two of those!

You can fly a plane, you can do planing with a plane, and you can do maths on a plane.

Triple threat!

:yy:
Reply 47
Original post by ryan9900
XH588 is the only airworthy Vulcan remaining. It's kept in the air purely by public donations and it's been on the brink of being grounded due to lack of funds for a few years now. It's still going, just about, and hopefully will be for years to come!

It's just unbelievable - I've seen it a few times (Fairford and Farnborough) :smile:
It's just unbelievable - I've seen it a few times (Fairford and Farnborough) :smile:

Awesome isn't it? It's an absolute beast but it still looks incredible graceful when it flies!
[video="youtube;3zkmEa6epE0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zkmEa6epE0[/video]

I loved the royal wedding flyover :h:

Lancaster Bomber is epic!

How does this even get in the air?

Gotta stop talking about planes now and actually go do some work.
Spitfire, easily.

Concorde's a close second.

4 engines and whole lotta thrust :sexface: :hubba:

Honest answer? Nobody really knows. Sure there are theories of flight, of lift, of the varying air pressures, aerofoils, how they all work together... But nobody's actually 100% certain.
Original post by Drewski
Honest answer? Nobody really knows. Sure there are theories of flight, of lift, of the varying air pressures, aerofoils, how they all work together... But nobody's actually 100% certain.

:s-smilie: I really don't like flying, this is one reason why.

But I guess noone know why paracetamol works either, and I take that all the time. :dontknow:

Original post by She-Ra
4 engines and whole lotta thrust :sexface: :hubba:

Giggity! :hubba:
Original post by ryan9900

It's going to have to stop flying sometime so don't pass up an opportunity to see (& hear :smile: ) it in action while you still can.

A few of mine from the 2013 Cosford Air Show.
Original post by Joinedup
It's going to have to stop flying sometime so don't pass up an opportunity to see (& hear :smile: ) it in action while you still can.

I haven't seen it as often as I'd like, I have to admit! But you're right, the sight and especially the sound is always spectacular.
My favourite planes :-

Rolls Royce Merlin engines...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pure orgasmic, pity only 2 Lancaster bombers are still airworthy and probably won't be airworthy for long. Somehow still prefer the sound of a Spitfire than the Mustang despite it being powered by a similar engine.

Was a pure joy to see it at the museum and fully restored, was a pure joy to see the one and only one that could still fly some years back though now I'm told it is no longer airworthy.

U2

B52 and B2, hopefully the B52 becomes the first plane to reach 100 years in continuous service. One thing that always surprised me when I saw it fly was just how loud it the engines were and the horrible smell of aviation fuel being burnt during takeoff. Was certainly worth all the security checks just to enter that airshow :biggrin:

SR71 was amazing seeing one fly at an airshow. One of the first planes I ever took notice off.

F14 Tomcat. The star in that movie Top Gun.

Reply 59

:facepalm: Cool picture...shame the aircraft is sporting the OLD livery...:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest