The Student Room Group

Pupils getting wrong grades due to poor standards of marking

One school Brighton College had more than 200 pupils’ GCSE English and religious studies papers re-marked after an exam board admitted some results were “concerning"

I've seen A LOT of threads asking about remarks and pupils missing their predicted grades - turns out this seems to be a real problem.

Eight per cent of head teachers said fewer than half of pupils gained correct GCSE grades, with three per cent putting the figure lower than a third.

The Ofqual report said: "Inaccurate marking of exam papers was reported by the majority of head teachers as the main reason why they believed all A-levels and GCSE students did not get the right grade".

What is everyone's experience of this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I've seen A LOT of threads asking about remarks and pupils missing their predicted grades - turns out this seems to be a real problem.

What is everyone's experience of this?

I received my A-level results in August and achieved ABB, however was predicted AAB. I was 1 mark away from an A in Geography so I decided to get both of the papers fast-track remarked.

Neither paper went up or down. The same can be said for every single person in my school who applied for a fast-track remark in any subject.

Weird?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cjlol
I received my A-level results in August and achieved ABB, however was predicted AAB. I was 1 mark away from an A in Geography so I decided to get both of the papers fast-track remarked.

Neither paper went up or down. The same can be said for every single person in my school who applied for a fast-track remark in any subject.

Weird?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That... is actually quite weird. How open to interpretation is Geography? I could believe no marks changing for maths or somesuch as it's pretty black and white.
Reply 3
That... is actually quite weird. How open to interpretation is Geography? I could believe no marks changing for maths or somesuch as it's pretty black and white.

When i went over my exam scripts after mark schemes were released there were 3 marks of questions from which i have no idea why those marks were lost i even read the examiner reports and still couldnt find anything all the wording was even quoted in the mark scheme.

Its funny how examiners are paid piece rate of course they are going to rush, thats like the goverment telling doctors the cheaper medicine you give out the more money we and your hospital save, of course thats going to be abused. oh right the goverment actually does do that.
Original post by nmjasdk
When i went over my exam scripts after mark schemes were released there were 3 marks of questions from which i have no idea why those marks were lost i even read the examiner reports and still couldnt find anything all the wording was even quoted in the mark scheme.

Its funny how examiners are paid piece rate of course they are going to rush, thats like the goverment telling doctors the cheaper medicine you give out the more money we and your hospital save, of course thats going to be abused. oh right the goverment actually does do that.

Hum, did you send to get those papers remarked? Or was that after the remarks came through?
Reply 5

There's a 50 mark report which there is bound to be a fair bit of room for interpretation then 20 mark essays. I just kind of accepted it, missed my firm choice but all turned out for the better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
From what I have seen most have got more marks once remarked. 21/30 papers for As English lit (I think) at college went up.
My chem teacher didn't give me full marks in my CA she goes that if I give you full marks then what about x and y because they are my favourite students and aqa board will wonder how everyone got full marks. She said these exact words in front of my face and that was the difference between me getting an A instead of an A*. So forget the exam boards its these teachers who are messed up doing favoritism. Why don't they be fair wth? Now I do not meet the chem requirement for dentistry at bham and she basically ruined my life. I hate teachers!
I was one mark off an A overall in my English lit GCSE. I got a high A in the exam about the books but my poetry exam was marked a low B. I thought I'd done well on the poetry exam and got it remarked. It went up by 4 marks to an A so I got my A overall.
If the marker had marked it properly the first time it would have been a lot easier.

I also got my English Lang GCSE paper remarked (it was an A anyway but the coursework was a B which was pulling my grade down to an overall grade B, 2 off A overall) that mark stayed the same but I wasn't expecting it to change. Still annoyed at my teacher for giving us no help in the coursework and B grades to this day :angry:
Reply 9
Very unhappy with English language in our sixth form; for unfair marking many students missed out of their 1st choice unis. Sent 6 A2 papers to be remarked, 4 of them got an increase in marks by 4-29%, so now I'm hoping my own AS grade will improve too. A few years ago the whole centre had to be remarked, and vast majority got a better grade in the end.

Sad, a teacher told me that she heard stories of examiners bragging about marking papers in a pub and stuff.
Original post by KittyRe-play
My chem teacher didn't give me full marks in my CA she goes that if I give you full marks then what about x and y because they are my favourite students and aqa board will wonder how everyone got full marks. She said these exact words in front of my face and that was the difference between me getting an A instead of an A*. So forget the exam boards its these teachers who are messed up doing favoritism. Why don't they be fair wth? Now I do not meet the chem requirement for dentistry at bham and she basically ruined my life. I hate teachers!

Did you send it in for remarks...?

Original post by cuppa
Very unhappy with English language in our sixth form; for unfair marking many students missed out of their 1st choice unis. Sent 6 A2 papers to be remarked, 4 of them got an increase in marks by 4-29%, so now I'm hoping my own AS grade will improve too. A few years ago the whole centre had to be remarked, and vast majority got a better grade in the end.

Sad, a teacher told me that she heard stories of examiners bragging about marking papers in a pub and stuff.

Wow, that's crazy! I guess it's difficult to get consistent marking with a subject like English which is so subjective...?
No I didn't send it for a remark! :s-smilie:
The teacher herself is part of the aqa exam board marker so..
This seems to happen every year, like the exam boards get distracted by what literally is their one job. :confused: Good luck to all of those waiting on remarks.
Hum, did you send to get those papers remarked? Or was that after the remarks came through?

After
Reply 15
Got my ENGB1 paper remarked. Went from 53 marks (D) to 76 (A). So now my AS grades for the subjects I'm carrying on are aaa, which is nice :biggrin:. Others jumped a grade or two as well.
Original post by cuppa
Got my ENGB1 paper remarked. Went from 53 marks (D) to 76 (A). So now my AS grades for the subjects I'm carrying on are aaa, which is nice :biggrin:. Others jumped a grade or two as well.

Wow!! That's incredible - you must be really pleased with that. Was there an admin error in the original mark, like they missed a page or something do you think?
Reply 17
Is it finally coming home to you all that teaching is probably the most mediocre profession there is staffed by people who are mostly both mediocre and disinterested?

A large number of people go into teaching as the last throw of the dice as they were found wanting for other professions. They then struggle through PGCE and with the "workload". They then take jobs at schools they hate full of children they don't care about.

They are near-impossible to dismiss regardless of their quality.

When they reach a certain "standard", they can supplement their income as examiners.

Why would you think that standards would be better?

i didnt send the papers of for a remark i got the papers just to look at where i was going wrong didnt expect there were marks i coulve gained. #

edit: woops already replied...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Wow!! That's incredible - you must be really pleased with that. Was there an admin error in the original mark, like they missed a page or something do you think?

I indeed am!

Because this massive under-marking happens every few years and on such a large scale, the teachers are guessing this is very much due to irresponsible marking. The examiners are allowed to mark their papers once they submit several papers to examiners a step above (would they be called team leaders? Something like that) and they are the only papers which are quality-checked. So I was thinking this was the case of only bothering to do the ones that get checked properly, and then doing the rest of them while watching Eastenders :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending