The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Szmessh
Also anyone elaborate on this pls? should I upload a resume AND a cover letter, yet it should be only ONE file wtf IMPORTANT! You can only submit one file per application. Therefore, the file must contain all documents relevant to the application process including: CV/Resume, cover letter and ANY OTHER requested documents such as transcripts and/or essays. Please note: only documents in Word (.doc or .docx), Adobe Acrobat (.pdf), or plain text (.txt) formats can be uploaded and the file can be no larger than 4MB.

Yeah copy and paste your CV on to the end of your cover letter. Sorted, just upload that joint document.
Reply 1061
Original post by Extricated
This is early anyway so applying in October is more than fine.

You are expected to come down to London - costs are re-imbursed

The bolded is true, I did it this year. It is actually better than the 9 week standard internship, you rotate across markets AND IBD which helps if you're uncertain.

May be limited since not at target but I've met people on various SWs who were from non-target spanish/italian schools (Although majority of oversea were Boconni)

I had this mindset last year. Looking back, I would say it was a good idea. You can also name drop in your CL which helps.

Just realised who you are :tongue:
Original post by CD315
Just realised who you are :tongue:

why, who is he?
Reply 1063
Original post by Patrickh
why, who is he?

God himself
Original post by CD315
God himself

even god seems to have sold his soul to the BB's
Original post by NedStark
Yeah copy and paste your CV on to the end of your cover letter. Sorted, just upload that joint document.

If they want a cover letter as well, it's really badly phrased. I mean they say "Upload CV*" and not any other of the required or not required documents. Plus, when you actually upload a document it says :"Click here to view to the CV you have attached."
So I've just started my first cover letter and I'm struggling. For SWs is all thats necessary just explaining your motivation for applying? Do I have to research specific deals that the bank is working on etc?

All the example cover letters/guides I can find online say that you should have sections for experience and they say you should mention the name of someone at the bank that you've met networking etc.

I have next to no work experience and I haven't been to any networking events yet so what do I put? I'm at UCL and I know that theres a few events/talks going on over the next few weeks/months. Should I wait so I can include this?
Original post by Bloxorus
So I've just started my first cover letter and I'm struggling. For SWs is all thats necessary just explaining your motivation for applying? Do I have to research specific deals that the bank is working on etc?

All the example cover letters/guides I can find online say that you should have sections for experience and they say you should mention the name of someone at the bank that you've met networking etc.

I have next to no work experience and I haven't been to any networking events yet so what do I put? I'm at UCL and I know that theres a few events/talks going on over the next few weeks/months. Should I wait so I can include this?

Name dropping is generally not advised, if the person doesn't know you to an extent he can refer you. However, I would definitely wait for these talks and networking sessions to get an idea of what areas interest you and you can talk about your interests in your cover letter. That's your motivation section.
Anyone applying to the LSE investment banking conference on 3rd November/has anyone already been before and can tell me what it was like?
Original post by Anonynous
Name dropping is generally not advised, if the person doesn't know you to an extent he can refer you. However, I would definitely wait for these talks and networking sessions to get an idea of what areas interest you and you can talk about your interests in your cover letter. That's your motivation section.

Okay brilliant. Thanks.
Original post by Bloxorus

Hey there, I am applying for both Spring Weeks and Placement this year and I would say name drop if you can. I do however agree with "Anonynous" so do take his advice. I will add that name drop can also be use to talk about their cultures or day-to-day routine. Maybe there is a M&A deal going on at the moment and you can ask more questions about that. The people you met at networking event, ask them questions and note their name. So in your cover letter, you can say this person "x" I met at "Specific bank networking event" say this and this and that interests me to "whatever they tell you"

Name dropping for my reason shows that you are reaching out to people that are currently working at the bank you are applying to. Shows interests to that specific bank.

Hope this help and good luck.
Original post by yl95
Anyone applying to the LSE investment banking conference on 3rd November/has anyone already been before and can tell me what it was like?

Yes I applied a few days ago. It´s said to be fully booked quite quickly, thats all I know about it :smile:.
Moving to Durham will make me appreciate how easy living in London was and attending events/interviews :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itssimplyme
Moving to Durham will make me appreciate how easy living in London was and attending events/interviews :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG :O you've left the IWAISS again ;D how goes it? :smile:
Original post by Mcdermott
Yes I applied a few days ago. It´s said to be fully booked quite quickly, thats all I know about it :smile:.

Ah, OK. Do you know whether it's really competitive to get a place? Hopefully there aren't any events/exams at my university on the date...
Original post by yl95
Ah, OK. Do you know whether it's really competitive to get a place? Hopefully there aren't any events/exams at my university on the date...

Well, I presume its quite competetive as you apply by simply attaching a CV which might attract people who just do it for the sake of it. It´d be great to go, good luck to you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1076
Anyone able to find the HSBC SW application? Can't find it at all. HSBC say it's open but I can't seem to find it in their list of what's available.
Anyone know whether Mckinsey is running their 'Discover' programme this year?
Original post by Refrigerator
Anyone know whether Mckinsey is running their 'Discover' programme this year?

its open every year, they just open it at a stupid time, like 4 weeks before the deadline specified. You need serious, serious extra currics to get a sniff, 3 of the 40 people who got on it last year were last years warwick finance exec, with like 10 spring weeks and 3 summer internship conversions minimum between them. facing second years is daunting haha.
Original post by CD315
Anyone able to find the HSBC SW application? Can't find it at all. HSBC say it's open but I can't seem to find it in their list of what's available.

Likewise.

Latest

Trending

Trending