The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
looking at it now, we haven't seen much of markovic but benfica must be laughing their pants off at £20m.

Lol at the notion that "Benfica are laughing their pants of for 20m for Markovic", I specifically recall reading/hearing that their fans were pretty reluctant to see him go but he wanted to leave for the PL so would have lost him eventually one way or another, his inconsistency was there before he even moved for us so it's not exactly like it was unlikely for him to start slow. He probably wont come good until the end of this season or maybe not until the next but he will eventually and it will be worth waiting.

Second of all they didn't get 20m.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd honestly have both Sakho and Lovren over Mertesacker.

Sakho is borderline world class, and Lovren is also very good. It just seems like they're worse than they are because they're playing with a genuinely **** keeper, little to none protection from midfield, and in Sakho's case, 'adaptation issues', as if I could come up with a more bull**** excuse lol.

The biggest thing though is a manager who just can't get it right defensively. 50 goals last year and with 8 conceded in 5 this year. No semblance of defensive organisation or shape, farcical at set pieces and barely a hint of a good CB partnership. With two young fullbacks it's just a recipe for disaster. Rodgers has set high expectations of himself, and quite frankly makes his defenders look ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
lol Markovic will come good. Anyone making a judgement so far is retarded. But we already knew that to be fair.
Original post by Strange Fruittt
lol Markovic will come good. Anyone making a judgement so far is retarded. But we already knew that to be fair.

The football knowledge of some people does not extend beyond FIFA.
Original post by The Shed End
This, he has the turning circle of a lorry. All last season they were going on about how they had one of the best defences in the league, then they moan when they don't sign a WC centre-back.

Pretty sure all we wanted was cover, don't recall anyone saying we needed a world class CB unless you can provide quotes which say otherwise
Original post by AR_95
Pretty sure all we wanted was cover, don't recall anyone saying we needed a world class CB unless you can provide quotes which say otherwise

No chance am I going back through that cluster**** of a thread to pull out a quote for you.
No chance am I going back through that cluster**** of a thread to pull out a quote for you.

You wouldn't have to because no one actually wanted a world class CB.
This, he has the turning circle of a lorry. All last season they were going on about how they had one of the best defences in the league, then they moan when they don't sign a WC centre-back.

Why come out with nonsensical comments like this? You know no one wanted a central defender to displace Mertesacker or Koscielny, they have formed a partnership that is easily one of the best in the league. All we wanted was a direct replacement for Vermaelen after Chambers was brought in.

Also, I'm literally laughing at how absurd the notion of Sakho being borderline world class is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Pink
Why come out with nonsensical comments like this? You know no one wanted a central defender to displace Mertesacker or Koscielny, they have formed a partnership that is easily one of the best in the league. All we wanted was a direct replacement for Vermaelen after Chambers was brought in.

Also, I'm literally laughing at how absurd the notion of Sakho being borderline world class is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Easily one of the best partnerships in the League". Conceded 17 goals in 3 games.
Original post by AR_95
Cazorla gets into our starting XI very often, and if he doesn't it's because he's replaced by either Alexis , ozil or Ramsey with the new formation.

he isn't nailed on though.
i don't think you're understanding properly (arsenal fans eh?) :wink:
cazorla is apparently better than the best player we have on our entire team - that's meant to be the funny part yeah? :tongue:

like i said, it's just a game and has little reflection on real life in terms of general performance levels and team chemistry, but its fun to compare their ratings and find out fellaini is better than henderson :biggrin:
Original post by So Instinct
Lol at the notion that "Benfica are laughing their pants of for 20m for Markovic", I specifically recall reading/hearing that their fans were pretty reluctant to see him go but he wanted to leave for the PL so would have lost him eventually one way or another, his inconsistency was there before he even moved for us so it's not exactly like it was unlikely for him to start slow. He probably wont come good until the end of this season or maybe not until the next but he will eventually and it will be worth waiting.

Second of all they didn't get 20m.

how much did they get?
regardless, we still paid 20m didn't we?

i bloody well hope he's worth the wait because 20m is a lot of money for a 20 year old who is inconsistent as you said.
what i mean is that we buy a lot of young players with great potential.
sometimes it works really well but i feel like we should've spent an extra 10m on a more established, consistent winger who can slot in to our first team and help with our creation.
we lost suarez who was a massive creator for us, but quality wise what have we got instead?
we're never gonna replace the insane quality of suarez but i hoped for a little more than lallana and markovic.

but i guess it's early and maybe my expectations are too high after last season.

I'd honestly have both Sakho and Lovren over Mertesacker.

Sakho is borderline world class, and Lovren is also very good. It just seems like they're worse than they are because they're playing with a genuinely **** keeper, little to none protection from midfield, and in Sakho's case, 'adaptation issues', as if I could come up with a more bull**** excuse lol.

The biggest thing though is a manager who just can't get it right defensively. 50 goals last year and with 8 conceded in 5 this year. No semblance of defensive organisation or shape, farcical at set pieces and barely a hint of a good CB partnership. With two young fullbacks it's just a recipe for disaster. Rodgers has set high expectations of himself, and quite frankly makes his defenders look ****.

lol at sakho being world class - is he paying you to suck up to him or something?
i hope you mean world class potential because right now he is above average at best.

i do rate lovren though; he's done as much as he can with a CB partner (skrtel or sakho) who just isn't doing their job good enough right now.
i agree on our defensive issues not necessarily being all down to our defenders; mignolet is garbage and we don't have enough midfield cover; gerrard just doesn't cut it.

rodgers is way too attacking and his defensive naivety is painfully obvious.
it's all about organisation; we have the players but we're conceding stupid goals from set pieces or we have both centre backs jumping for the same ball.
last year at times we literally just outscored the opponent but with suarez gone and sturridge injured right now, there's little place to hide.

like i said we haven't seen much of him but it feels like we're paying so much in the hope that his potential turns him in to a 30-40m player.
his lay offs are pretty decent; he seems to have good awareness of the players around him which is great for us since we try to move fast going forward.
however his general wing play isn't too good - right now he's struggling to beat his man and even when he does his crosses are generally underhit.

i'm not saying he won't get better because it's still early, but looking at him so far i'm a little disappointed.
Original post by addylad
The football knowledge of some people does not extend beyond FIFA.

pls addy don't be bitter; real men don't hold grudges.
you cried yourself to sleep, now just move on:cool:
Original post by Lúcio
he isn't nailed on though.
i don't think you're understanding properly (arsenal fans eh?) :wink:
cazorla is apparently better than the best player we have on our entire team - that's meant to be the funny part yeah? :tongue:

like i said, it's just a game and has little reflection on real life in terms of general performance levels and team chemistry, but its fun to compare their ratings and find out fellaini is better than henderson :biggrin:

how much did they get?
regardless, we still paid 20m didn't we?

i bloody well hope he's worth the wait because 20m is a lot of money for a 20 year old who is inconsistent as you said.
what i mean is that we buy a lot of young players with great potential.
sometimes it works really well but i feel like we should've spent an extra 10m on a more established, consistent winger who can slot in to our first team and help with our creation.
we lost suarez who was a massive creator for us, but quality wise what have we got instead?
we're never gonna replace the insane quality of suarez but i hoped for a little more than lallana and markovic.

but i guess it's early and maybe my expectations are too high after last season.

lol at sakho being world class - is he paying you to suck up to him or something?
i hope you mean world class potential because right now he is above average at best.

i do rate lovren though; he's done as much as he can with a CB partner (skrtel or sakho) who just isn't doing their job good enough right now.
i agree on our defensive issues not necessarily being all down to our defenders; mignolet is garbage and we don't have enough midfield cover; gerrard just doesn't cut it.

rodgers is way too attacking and his defensive naivety is painfully obvious.
it's all about organisation; we have the players but we're conceding stupid goals from set pieces or we have both centre backs jumping for the same ball.
last year at times we literally just outscored the opponent but with suarez gone and sturridge injured right now, there's little place to hide.

like i said we haven't seen much of him but it feels like we're paying so much in the hope that his potential turns him in to a 30-40m player.
his lay offs are pretty decent; he seems to have good awareness of the players around him which is great for us since we try to move fast going forward.
however his general wing play isn't too good - right now he's struggling to beat his man and even when he does his crosses are generally underhit.

i'm not saying he won't get better because it's still early, but looking at him so far i'm a little disappointed.

Not many people in our XI get nailed on considering how stacked we are in midfield.. I get what you're saying lol. I wouldn't say he's even close to the best, but I think he'd start in your squad
Original post by AR_95
Not many people in our XI get nailed on considering how stacked we are in midfield.. I get what you're saying lol. I wouldn't say he's even close to the best, but I think he'd start in your squad

true, your depth in midfield is crazy at times:rolleyes:

yeah, i'd be happy having him in our first team but compared to sterling, sturridge, maybe even coutinho he wouldn't be anywhere near the standout best.

i'm used to us being underrated so it's not new to me, but it's just annoying when you look at top teams and see how overrated their players are.
i know ovr is determined by different weighted attributes but surely you'd use a baseline for every overall rating and use it at least as a rough comparison player to player?
if you didn't realise, i have fifa coming tomorrow :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio

Don't start making a scene again, just because you can't take a bit of criticism.
Original post by addylad
Don't start making a scene again, just because you can't take a bit of criticism.

I ain't making no scene man, that isn't my style now.
Nah, criticism is fine; these forums would be boring without it.

But it's normally a little better if there's cause and its actually related to a specific post about football so discussion can develop and continue :smile:
Yea I'm not reading all of that
Original post by Lúcio
I ain't making no scene man, that isn't my style now.
Nah, criticism is fine; these forums would be boring without it.

But it's normally a little better if there's cause and its actually related to a specific post about football so discussion can develop and continue :smile:

Stop whining then.

Okay, so what winger should we have spent an extra £10m on, as you suggest?

Have you seen Sakho play for France?

How many minutes has Markovic played this season (in real life, not on FIFA)?
Original post by addylad
Stop whining then.

Okay, so what winger should we have spent an extra £10m on, as you suggest?

Have you seen Sakho play for France?

How many minutes has Markovic played this season (in real life, not on FIFA)?

strong response, as mature as i expected...

sakho plays excellent for france (somebody remarked recently that he keeps players like mangala and koscielny out of the starting XI), which is why i'm so confused and annoyed when i see him so nervy playing for us, making stupid mistake that he would never make with varane at his side.

i don't have much knowledge about foreign football; i have said this many times.
my (limited) knowledge on football is restricted primarily to the premier league because that is the only domestic football i have time to watch.
therefore my input on certain topics like which winger we could bring (assuming it is from overseas) in is poor.
does that mean i can't say we could've bought a fairly established consistent winger for 30m somewhere?
i may not know who but i'm confident 30m could get you a decent wide player.

markovic hasn't played much, i agree.
he will need time to fit in to our squad, but as somebody mentioned yesterday regarding suso, we have several decent options for players that could play in the AM/winger role for us, therefore i hope markovic shows at least some signs of improvement fairly soon.
(edited 9 years ago)
Addy about to wreck Luke again, brb getting popcorn.. If Micheal Jackson hasn't eaten it all.
"Easily one of the best partnerships in the League". Conceded 17 goals in 3 games.

If you had any understanding of why that was you would realise that our club go into big away games without any competent defensive cover in midfield as well as having our full backs bomb forward at every opportunity.

Put Cahill and Terry in a system like that and watch how many goals they concede.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by So Instinct
Addy about to wreck Luke again, brb getting popcorn.. If Micheal Jackson hasn't eaten it all.

Quick Reply

Latest