The Student Room Group

Bullying Feminists Is Not The Answer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
She's really just a sexist girl. You can't reason with her. Every time she loses the debate her response is 'boohoo. men should grow up and stop complaining'

so childish. Why don't you treat everyone as human beings instead of trying to separate them by gender?

i don't have to pull that out as an excuse because that is LITERALLY how you sound in threads like this. if you said it in real life people would just pity you, because you do not care about women's rights if it doesn't involve equal amounts of men's rights at any given moment, and that is selfish and embarrassing. why do you think there are no campaigns for straight pride or white history month? why do you WANT to be oppressed?

and that last bit was sarcasm, fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tom hiddleston, harry styles, ralph lauren, mark ruffalo and many other brilliant, reasonable men have posted their support for #HeForShe. this is so great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
i don't have to pull that out as an excuse because that is LITERALLY how you sound in threads like this. if you said it in real life people would just pity you, because you do not care about women's rights if it doesn't involve equal amounts of men's rights at any given moment, and that is selfish and embarrassing. why do you think there are no campaigns for straight pride or white history month? why do you WANT to be oppressed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I care about women's rights. And men's rights. You only care about women's rights.

This is you when someone mentions anything involving men, "'boohoo. men should grow up and stop complaining'"
I care about women's rights. And men's rights. You only care about women's rights.

This is you when someone mentions anything involving men, "'boohoo. men should grow up and stop complaining'"

i never said that. i do think YOU should grow up and stop complaining and taking individual men's problems as a personal attack and a logical reason to disregard anything that the feminist movement does, whether good or bad.

and save yourself some embarrassment and stop assuming all feminists are women. that itself is a sexist assumption. believe it or not, sane people exist, if not at large on tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i never said that. i do think YOU should grow up and stop complaining and taking individual men's problems as a personal attack and a logical reason to disregard anything that the feminist movement does, whether good or bad.

and save yourself some embarrassment and stop assuming all feminists are women. that itself is a sexist assumption. believe it or not, sane people exist, if not at large on tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

likewise. I think the fact that feminists in USA routinely block attempts to change family court laws to be gender neutral is enough for me to disregard the movement. Seeing as they masquerade under the guise of 'equality'

I haven't made any assumptions. I never said all feminists are women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you?
Havent you got school tomorrow?
Original post by caravaggio2
How old are you?
Havent you got school tomorrow?

um yes, sixth form? and?

Posted from TSR Mobile
likewise. I think the fact that feminists in USA routinely block attempts to change family court laws to be gender neutral is enough for me to disregard the movement. Seeing as they masquerade under the guise of 'equality'

I haven't made any assumptions. I never said all feminists are women.

it's a shame you disregard the movement but i'll never change your mind and you'll never change mine, so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
I listen to any feminist who will listen to the fact that society discriminates against men too, and we need women's help to end it for both. Sadly, lots of them do say "boo too, grow up, stop complaining" or even worse, the ultimate irony, "man up". I cannot take anyone who says "man up" seriously regarding feminism, because they want to have their cake and eat it.

I need to meet some real life 22 year old feminists who are nice and will listen to both sides of the story :biggrin:
Original post by Riku
I listen to any feminist who will listen to the fact that society discriminates against men too, and we need women's help to end it for both. Sadly, lots of them do say "boo too, grow up, stop complaining" or even worse, the ultimate irony, "man up". I cannot take anyone who says "man up" seriously regarding feminism, because they want to have their cake and eat it.

I need to meet some real life 22 year old feminists who are nice and will listen to both sides of the story :biggrin:

Society discriminates against men on a class basis, not because they are men.
Original post by Riku

the kind of feminism that emma watson is trying to promote DOES recognise that men get discriminated too. but women do BECAUSE they're women, while men at large don't get discriminated for being men - just for being human (a terrible thing, still, but not sexism). if only you'd open your mind this little bit.

hundreds of thousands of men around the world have at heforshe.org. why don't you join them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
um yes, sixth form? and?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Suddenly it all becomes clear.
Reply 192
the kind of feminism that emma watson is trying to promote DOES recognise that men get discriminated too. if only you'd open your mind this little bit.

hundreds of thousands of men around the world have at heforshe.org. why don't you join them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm considering it, thanks :smile:

I do want to point out to you, however, that most of the men you mentioned are not just 'reasonable' but attractive, talented and high-status. I.e. they have never had problems with women and patriarchy has rarely/never worked against them.

This campaign will begin to work when the less conventionally attractive, more effeminate men are taken just as seriously for signing as Harry Styles and Ralph Lauren…until then I remain sceptical.
it's a shame you disregard the movement but i'll never change your mind and you'll never change mine, so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it amazing how you support a movement that strives to keep women above men using the law to discriminate. I think everyone should be equal and the law should be gender neutral.
I find it amazing how you support a movement that strives to keep women above men using the law to discriminate. I think everyone should be equal and the law should be gender neutral.

When will you ever support any of these ridiculous claims?
Original post by Riku
I'm considering it, thanks :smile:

I do want to point out to you, however, that most of the men you mentioned are not just 'reasonable' but attractive, talented and high-status. I.e. they have never had problems with women and patriarchy has rarely/never worked against them.

This campaign will begin to work when the less conventionally attractive, more effeminate men are taken just as seriously for signing as Harry Styles and Ralph Lauren…until then I remain sceptical.

that's where the 130,000+ anonymous men who've signed the campaign come in. you do make a fair point about the patriarchy working in favour of these men. but they are all successful and are using their fame to promote something they consider a genuine, noble cause - and no doubt it has helped. i hope more people realise someday that emma's words were not malicious and poisonous and man-hating, so why are people punishing her for them? they spoke of love and equality. i for one support her wholeheartedly, and i hope you will too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think everyone should be equal too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caravaggio2
Suddenly it all becomes clear.

lazy. 2/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
I used to enjoy being a user of TSR until purposefully provocative anti-feminist threads kept cropping up along with frustrating threads about race (that's another topic though). The reason feminism still exists is because women are still not equal to men in current society. As Emma Watson said, there is not one country in the world where we have gender equality. Feminism also incorporates men as men are also placed into damaging roles (in other threads I see talking about 'alpha males' for example).

Why are people scared of the word 'feminism'? The dislike of the word just implies to me that people believe there is something inherently wrong with women being equal to men. Perhaps you think men and women are already equal? Spend a day in my shoes or many women's shoes and you will think differently (and I'm from the UK where I don't have it as bad as many other countries). Perhaps you think you have it worse off as a man? Feminism also argues that gaining economic, political and social equality for women empowers men as well. No more of this ridiculous 'be a man', 'are you on your manperiod?' bull. Socially, men and women are free to be whoever they want to be without the strictures of gender roles. The HeforShe is a worldwide campaign not one solely for the West. I don't know how you can't see that women suffer more from gender inequality when there are domestic/corrective/street/gang rapes, FGM, child brides, women not allowed basic human rights, etc disproportionally more than men.

I'm not going to try and sell feminism to you. Your opinion is your opinion regardless of whether I agree or not. If you're truly fighting for equality and trying to empower both sexes who really cares what you call yourself as long as you're doing what you claim and not disenfranchising anyone because you disagree with feminism.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by S_123
I used to enjoy being a user of TSR until purposefully provocative anti-feminist threads kept cropping up along with frustrating threads about race (that's another topic though). The reason feminism still exists is because women are still not equal to men in current society. As Emma Watson said, there is not one country in the world where we have gender equality. Feminism also incorporates men as men are also placed into damaging roles (in other threads I see talking about 'alpha males' for example). Why are people scared of the word 'feminism'? The dislike of the word just implies to me that people believe there is something inherently wrong with women being equal to men. Perhaps you think men and women are already equal? Spend a day in my shoes or many women's shoes and you will think differently (and I'm from the UK where I don't have it as bad as many other countries). Perhaps you think you have it worse off as a man? Feminism also argues that gaining economic, political and social equality for women empowers men as well. No more of this ridiculous 'be a man', 'are you on your manperiod?' bull. Socially, men and women are free to be whoever they want to be without the strictures of gender roles. The HeforShe is a worldwide campaign not one solely for the West. I don't know how you can't see that women suffer more from gender inequality when there are domestic/corrective/street/gang rapes, FGM, child brides, women not allowed basic human rights, etc disproportionally more than men. I'm not going to try and sell feminism to you. Your opinion is your opinion regardless of whether I agree or not. If you're truly fighting for equality and trying to empower both sexes who really cares what you call yourself as long as you're doing what you claim and not disenfranchising anyone because you disagree with feminism.

thank you so much.

i think this is a simple matter of men not realising what it's like for women because they're not female. in which case it's just an elaborate issue of empathy and humanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending