The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by furryface12
:grouphugs: to all of you :frown:

I've always been terrible, but I swear recently it's got even worse! :colondollar: How's uni going?

------------------
Does this help anyone? I know I tend to get the two together but I don't know if that's true for anyone else :redface: There's some good advice on there anyway! http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-living-with-asthma-emotional-health-stress-and-anxiety

See above possibly :smile: Hope you're ok :hugs:

Thanks so much for the info... that's really interesting actually. Am going to favourite it :smile: How are you? :hugs:

Original post by Gingerbread101
Hi everyone :h:

:hi:
Original post by Cinnie
Hi :hugs:

Original post by ScaryScience

:hi:

How is everyone? :smile:
How is everyone? :smile:

Not great. Yourself?
Not great. Yourself?

:console:
Alright for once, I managed to more or less get on top of my hwk so my anxiety has died down a bit
I think it disappeared somewhere- my memory is awful, I took the washing outside earlier and just left it on the grass, completely forgot I hadn't actually put it out until mum came home and told me off! is it isn't the first time I've done that either :facepalm: Cool! Even though it'd terrify me :colondollar: Yeahhh, that could be a good idea :tongue: What course are you doing, is it something education related or am I making that up?

I'm alrightish, had a pretty crap couple of weeks with various things and today's been awful, but seem to be a bit better/kind of hyper tonight which is always fun :lol: Got a funeral tomorrow though which I'm not looking forward too, plus because of where it is will be out of the house from 9-8ish and I don't actually think I can manage that at the minute but don't want to let everyone down :s-smilie:

Hahaaaaaa bless you! :redface: I have put the washing outside and it rained and I forgot that there was washing out and elf tit there a few times :colondollar:I haven't spoken to loads, but a fair amount! It was mostly due to having to talk rather voluntarily :redface: Yeah I'm doing education so you're not making it up :biggrin:

Awww nooo, I hope you're all right now :hugs: Being hyper can be a load of fun at times :teehee: I doubt you'd let people down :no: I haven't been to a few funerals because I'd get too emotional and no one complained at me :smile:
Alright for once, I managed to more or less get on top of my hwk so my anxiety has died down a bit

YAY! I love that feeling! :smile:

I have been better... but also a lot worse :smile:

glad to hear it
Original post by Cinnie
YAY! I love that feeling! :smile:

I have been better... but also a lot worse :smile:

Hopefully it'll last more than a day this time..! :smile:

Well that's always good :yes:
Thanks so much for the info... that's really interesting actually. Am going to favourite it :smile: How are you? :hugs:

They quite often put things like that on their facebook page, can be quite interesting! I'm variable but ok at the minute (and hyper as I just said to IDukem :tongue:) which is good :smile: You?

Original post by IDukem
Hahaaaaaa bless you! :redface: I have put the washing outside and it rained and I forgot that there was washing out and elf tit there a few times :colondollar:I haven't spoken to loads, but a fair amount! It was mostly due to having to talk rather voluntarily :redface: Yeah I'm doing education so you're not making it up :biggrin:

Awww nooo, I hope you're all right now :hugs: Being hyper can be a load of fun at times :teehee: I doubt you'd let people down :no: I haven't been to a few funerals because I'd get too emotional and no one complained at me :smile:

Yeah, do that too, I never notice :getmecoat: Did you really mean elf tit though? :lol: Well done! :biggrin: Yeah but you still did it :yep: Any particular education or just general?

It can be, it's also realllly bad the next day though if I've been too hyper the day before :sadnod: I would though, I didn't know the person that well but the whole extended family are there except my cousins and sister and we're doing other stuff while we're in the area too, they're talking about going to the pub afterwards now too which will make it even more awkward and long :frown: My dad said that if I'm too ill (physical, they don't know about mental :redface:) I don't have to go but everyone will be annoyed/upset if I don't and be asking me about it for months so I kind of have to :hide:

Sorry, bit of a rant there :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Meaty_man
My my it's busy in here today :v

You may of already been told this, but CBT requires a lot of input and effort from your side, effectively they will give you the tools to help yourself, but you still need to use those tools, or you won't see any progress.

I've been through CBT with various therapists before, each with their own take on it. Something i'd recommend doing is putting into practice what you have learnt while you are feeling in a good mood, if you practice things when you feel good, it will be much easier to do when you're feeling really down. I say this because i know it can be very difficult to apply CBT stuff when you're feeling really low.

It isn't for everyone, but i do believe everyone can take something away from CBT, be it coping strategies or exercises that help you to cope. It also gives you a lot of knowledge into the whys and hows of depression, and when we understand something better it's never quite as scary. Best of luck to you with it!

I have days where i feel really disconnected, even moreso than normal :| :hugs: Easier said than done but try not to think too much about it :console: I would write down pretty much everything, people in that line of work are generally nice people and won't care for how little or much much you want to disclose to them. Besides, even if some things aren't in their field of expertise, they may be able to sort something out for you, or give some sort of advice.

It's a shame that it has to be done, but pestering people and chasing them up gets things done from my experience. Have you emailed them again or given them a phonecall? :penguinhug:

Keeping yourself busy is always healthy imo :biggrin: If nothing else you should sleep easily when night time comes around :smile:

I'm certain other people will not be bothered as much as you are about it, we are all attractive in some ways; a nice bum, legs, eyes, personality, body shape, voice, eyes. There's a long list or things trust me :smile: Most of us have things we dislike about our appearance, i have quite a few myself :getmecoat: focus on improving what's good about you, instead of the things you don't like :tongue:

Yeah it took my mind off being sad I guess :/ I signed up to join my uni's lgbt+ society at the freshers fair, but they do joint events with the one from Aberdeen Uni, and I know Ashley is part of that and I'm not ready to see her, I wouldn't know what to do :s-smilie:

Aww shush, you, you're a cutie :tongue:
Ugh, the above anon was me :unimpressed:
They quite often put things like that on their facebook page, can be quite interesting! I'm variable but ok at the minute (and hyper as I just said to IDukem :tongue:) which is good :smile: You?

Yeah, do that too, I never notice :getmecoat: Did you really mean elf tit though? :lol: Well done! :biggrin: Yeah but you still did it :yep: Any particular education or just general?

It can be, it's also realllly bad the next day though if I've been too hyper the day before :sadnod: I would though, I didn't know the person that well but the whole extended family are there except my cousins and sister and we're doing other stuff while we're in the area too, they're talking about going to the pub afterwards now too which will make it even more awkward and long :frown: My dad said that if I'm too ill (physical, they don't know about mental :redface:) I don't have to go but everyone will be annoyed/upset if I don't and be asking me about it for months so I kind of have to :hide:

Sorry, bit of a rant there :colondollar:

Thanks :hugs: glad you are ok. im not really good. seem to be getting worse by the minute too, which always happens :frown:
head is falling apart so so badly
head is falling apart so so badly

:hugs:
Thanks :hugs: glad you are ok. im not really good. seem to be getting worse by the minute too, which always happens :frown:

:frown: Feel free to PM me if you want to, not sure as I'll be able to help at all but I'm always willing to try or happy to just be ranted at if that helps you (same goes for anyone on here) :hugs:
Hello everyone! :hugs:

Hope everyone is doing well!

I feel like I have social anxiety as I really dread social situations where there are many people around and always feel like people are looking at me for whatever reason. This has been a problem for a while but I am only seeing it properly now as I started university and never feel like going to the canteen to eat due to these reasons. My mum, in particular, always tells me to go to the shops on my own or do stuff on my own but I can't do it when there are loads of people around, I just feel odd and terrible.

What is the best thing for me to do regarding this issue? Is this even social anxiety or am I making a big deal out of nothing? Should I go to my GP? I still don't think my mum will understand that this is what it is and it isn't always down to laziness as to why I don't like going out on my own.

Thank you.

I'm looking for a bit of advice too guys :smile:
I think I have some form of anxiety/stress related problem, but it ebbs and flows so much I'm not sure if it's actually a thing... I don't want to go to my GP because my parents don't know it's a problem, but I just feel really under pressure a lot of the time, in the mornings I feel really anxious for no reason and it sometimes means I can't eat breakfast and feel ill, I tend to overreact to build ups of hwk and deadlines, and I just feel generally stressed and worried about everything...

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by moment of truth
Hello everyone! :hugs:

Hope everyone is doing well!

I feel like I have social anxiety as I really dread social situations where there are many people around and always feel like people are looking at me for whatever reason. This has been a problem for a while but I am only seeing it properly now as I started university and never feel like going to the canteen to eat due to these reasons. My mum, in particular, always tells me to go to the shops on my own or do stuff on my own but I can't do it when there are loads of people around, I just feel odd and terrible.

What is the best thing for me to do regarding this issue? Is this even social anxiety or am I making a big deal out of nothing? Should I go to my GP? I still don't think my mum will understand that this is what it is and it isn't always down to laziness as to why I don't like going out on my own.

Thank you.

Hey there,

How are you doing in lectures? I guess if this thing is stopping you from going to the canteen it sounds like it might be quite a big problem. You need to eat, and avoiding it because of a fear of people sounds a lot like social anxiety. The good news is that there are therapies (such as CBT) and medication (such as SSRIs) that can help you stop it having such a large impact on your life. Your first stop should be to talk to your GP who can refer you to talk therapy (although given it's the NHS there are significant waiting lists). You could check out your university's counseling service, you could talk to someone there or they might have group therapy/workshops on dealing with this kind of anxiety. In the meantime, there's an online CBT course called Moodgym which you could try.

Hope this helps. Good luck man. :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
Hey there,

How are you doing in lectures? I guess if this thing is stopping you from going to the canteen it sounds like it might be quite a big problem. You need to eat, and avoiding it because of a fear of people sounds a lot like social anxiety. The good news is that there are therapies (such as CBT) and medication (such as SSRIs) that can help you stop it having such a large impact on your life. Your first stop should be to talk to your GP who can refer you to talk therapy (although given it's the NHS there are significant waiting lists). You could check out your university's counseling service, you could talk to someone there or they might have group therapy/workshops on dealing with this kind of anxiety. In the meantime, there's an online CBT course called Moodgym which you could try.

Hope this helps. Good luck man. :smile:

In lectures I just sit and listen, don't talk to anyone at all really. There are a few people I have met on my course that are okayish but they already have friends and so its hard, but even in the lecture hall I try not to make eye contact with the other students when walking to a free seat. Yeah, I have been at uni for 2 weeks (on saturday) and have been to dinner like twice and other than that haven't been eating dinner at all really.

The thing is that I have a problem with confidence too so I am not sure if all this stuff is due to my confidence issue or if it is anxiety or both?

I have heard of CBT and studied it at A-Level and yeah gonna think about taking the course.

Will check out my uni service too.

Thank you :smile: it did help!
just found a job post in a local school that sounds perfect for me, but im terrified of applying. urgh.

Latest