The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

everything is just going wrong right now :frown:
Original post by PandaWho
just found a job post in a local school that sounds perfect for me, but im terrified of applying. urgh.

GO FOR IT! It is really difficult to find something which sounds perfect and if you wait too long, you will apply to anything, so rather applying now. You know, you can do it! We know it!
Original post by furryface12
:frown: Feel free to PM me if you want to, not sure as I'll be able to help at all but I'm always willing to try or happy to just be ranted at if that helps you (same goes for anyone on here) :hugs:

thanks, that's really kind. same goes to you, too :hugs:
Original post by Team_McDreamy
no need to apologise hun :smile:

tbh i didn't even know dysthymia existed until this week! and it does seem like a very fuzzy line between dysthymia and depression, and i think it probably depends on your attitude towards it? i dunno.

it's interesting because i had always just considered myself an introvert, "not a people person", not very into sports or drama clubs or whatever, a naturally anxious person, that kind of thing, but thinking back, from around 13 to 15 was when i started withdrawing from everything. i stopped swimming - something i had done several times a week since i was like, 5 or 6. i stopped going out with my friends - so i could 'study'. i quit choir, piano lessons and quit guides all because i wasn't interested in it any more. i stopped doing my homework even though i was a bright girl who enjoyed school, because although i had 'dreams' i didn't really have any motivation left.
arguably i could say i started showing signs at 13? but because i don't feel like i was, i wouldn't say i was 'dysthymic' until i was 15 and i really started the isolation. or maybe that was mild depression? /brainvomit.

its all very interesting, i think :smile: but its all too easy to read too much into it too

Yeah I don't know :s-smilie: and for some reason NHS don't have a page on it :dontknow:

That's quite odd :redface: Especially looking back/when you've got more of an understanding about things? No I really don't know what the difference between it and mild depression is, though I don't even know if I'm that so :colondollar: :s-smilie:

Yeah probably :/

A la your recent post: mega :jumphug: - you are lovely and awesome :hugs: Sorry you feel things are going downhill :frown: :console:

Original post by lauraaaaa
:lol: i think i'll give it a whirl when i come home from uni at easter because it'll be lighter then and ill have quite a bit of time :smile: going 50+ always kinda scares me though cos i feel like im not in control of the car, even though i am :redface:
yeah it took three hours to do my hair, but it's looking a lot better, even if the woman on the reception desk had a go at me for being five minutes early :frown:
i haven't started packing yet :redface: but i have most things laid out ready to be packed, so i think ill do it tomorrow afternoon :') i can't waaaaait to do more stationary shopping! I wish i could afford expensive and pretty stationary haha, im too obsessed :tongue:
you don't have a toaster? my accommodation comes with one, but I've also bought a sandwich toaster (in lime green too actually hmm..maybe im liking lime green recently :lol:) *hands over toaster*

That's true :smile: Yeah tbf going up there in new smaller car was quite scary, but once you're there for a bit get used to it quite quickly? :redface: Motorway was scary once you properly thought about it - being in a massive box of metal hurtling along next to other boxes of metal :tongue: But you can ignore that :colondollar:

That's ages :eek: Glad it's looking better :biggrin: what?! That's ridiculous - 5 minutes early is like the perfect time to arrive for something :mad:
I found it didn't take too long - like a long evening/half day I guess? Hope it's gone okay - are you moving in this weekend? :smile: Haha :colondollar:

Not yet - yeah last year they did, but in a house now - we'll get one soon/once everyone gets here - though someone's dropped out!!! :eek: They failed their resits which is a shame :sad: (hadn't even realised they had resits to do) so they're not back for next year which is sad :frown: He was a new person/someone we'd not properly met, apart from 2 times when he was deciding or something. But we're had the worst luck with it :tongue: There were 5 of us, then before we found a house someone said they were switching Uni's/reapplying, then when we signed a 4-bed house, the 4th person decided that they were changing Uni's, and now this person! :eek: :colondollar: Must be something about us :erm: :ninja:

Sandwich toasters are good - I think the person who's not here yet (but who is staying :colondollar:) has a george foreman grill thing - so will use that for toasties :biggrin:
*takes toaster* thanks :lol:

Original post by furryface12
That's partway there then! Go tomorrow :yep: They sound it! I've never had any either, only used them when I was recording and stuff at school although they do seem nice :eek: I did in the end, not tried it yet though.

Hope so, I don't want everyone to leave :frown: Not been great today at all, but then I did a ridiculous amount yesterday so it's my own fault really :colondollar: Just had an email asking if I want to play tenor sax in a jazz group thing, always wanted to try tenor :excited: Scared about going though and not sure if I'll be able to breathe well enough for it :redface: Also managed to make myself go to a choir thing last night that someone's been trying to persuade me to do for agesss, it was good even though I somehow ended up singing the tenor (male) part :lol:

Good that you're a bit better! Not sure what I'd do with that if I'm honest, is there another GP you could talk to? Or other uni people? Or just carry on as you are, but you shouldn't really have to do that :s-smilie:

I guess so! It doesn't matter if you end up writing too much if you enjoy/don't mind doing it, there's much worse things to spend your time doing :tongue: I've never managed it, not tried for a while though- might google how later :colone: How fast can you do it?

Didn't go :sad: Need to soon, but just wasn't in any sort of mood too :s-smilie: even if it probs would've helped... :/
"They *sound* it"!? see watcha did there :ahee: Good :smile:

:frown: Sorry you've not been so great :console: oo awesome! Are you usually on an alto sax? Bigger instrument = more important in orchestra/jazz group :yep: :tongue: (tenor sax is bigger, right? I think it is :ninja:)
I hope it goes okay when it comes along :redface: :hugs:
oo well done! Hoping to do choir this year too - didn't last year :sad: Haha :colondollar: I really wish I could sing soprano :sad: Used to be able to when I was younger/pre year 9-10 or something. Am a baritone now I think (:dontknow:) What do you normally sing? :smile:

Yeah I think there are others, think I'm going to make appointment with MH guy (seen him once before, he's a psychologist I think? works in student support MH services) GP said to do that at least/I ought to. Well I sort of mean carrying on as I planned/with trying to get better - got group therapy starting in a month or so I think. Today's not been good though sadly :frown: and yesterday was :s-smilie: Kinda confused/worried about what's going to happen now. Sorry, anyway...

Yeah I suppose so :colondollar: Though often end up writing before bed or something and keep writing for too long/just get tired :tongue: There's some good youtube tutorials :yep: can link you the one I used if you like - gets easier too to write down the algorithms and then you can practice off a small set of instructions until you learn them :smile: Did some times today when hiding in my room (:hide: :s-smilie:) - managed 53s (:smug: :lol:) though usually get about 1m20 or something I guess? :redface: Is good fun :yep: :smile:
Original post by ScaryScience
thanks, that's really kind. same goes to you, too :hugs:

---

Panda, it won't let me quote you for some reason but as Nathanielle said, go for it! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :cry:
I am completely knackered had a bush four hours at work and then went toff to college in the evening and now I can finally rest. Got a big day tomorrow I gr assignment to finish and some psychology and English literature reading to do big day ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile
stop stop stoppppp with the thoughts brain, please for one night leave me alone
Reply 5428
Anybody know how to upload music to an ipod? :\
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hey peeps!

Turns out this whole PhD malarkey is gonna be a lot more work and structured than I thought. My supervisor (who's very nice but a bit scary!) wants to see me every 2 weeks :eek:

This is gonna mean much less TSR time, including availability to check up on people and ability to have PM conversations or extended chats on Facebook :sad: From now on, looks like text is gonna be the best way to get at me! :yes:

:jumphug: Saw a post randomly pop up from you in "latest posts". Sorry you're finding it difficult :sad: (If I read correctly :s-smilie: was on phone at the time)
I hope it goes well for you though :hugs:

Original post by WelshBluebird
Haha no worries! :smile:.
Thanks!
Awww :hugs:. Glad it is in the more ok side though!

:hugs: Todays been worse sadly, but will see how things pan out once lectures start :redface:

What part of going out with friends are you nervous about? (sorry if this is too late for any help regarding that :s-smilie:)
I can definitely relate to getting anxious about seeing friends/going to a house - always semi-hate parties just because you can't easily escape/get away when you need it, and always people about talking/being loud :redface:
If it's happened then I hope it went okay :hugs:

Original post by tasha96
Theyre talking about hospital again. :bawling:

:jumphug:

Original post by IDukem
I'm so bad at remembering names now-a-days :lol: :redface:

Been odd coming back I keep having to wait a second before getting some people's names - and I've known them for a year! :tongue: :facepalm:
Hope Uni's still going good :smile:

Original post by Sabertooth
Oh damn, I have sports team try-outs tonight. ****ing terrified about it. I feel sick, I have a headache...I'm just really dreading this. I don't even know why I'm so scared. Brain...why you no make sense?

Hope it goes well/your brain calms down a bit :redface: Do you have many strategies for beforehand to calm you down a bit? I found with exams that pacing and breathing helped a bit - and telling yourself out loud (quietly :colondollar:) it's going to be okay :redface:

Original post by Gingerbread101
Hi everyone :h:

:hi:

Original post by ScaryScience
head is falling apart so so badly

:jumphug: am around if you need to vent or anything :redface: :hugs:

Maybe see how the first two weeks go and then think back over it/decide then?
I mean it depends, and I don't know, but some of the anxiety stuff might calm down once you get more settled there? Which job is this? Hope tomorrow goes okay :hugs:

Original post by moment of truth
Hello everyone! :hugs:

Hope everyone is doing well!

I feel like I have social anxiety as I really dread social situations where there are many people around and always feel like people are looking at me for whatever reason. This has been a problem for a while but I am only seeing it properly now as I started university and never feel like going to the canteen to eat due to these reasons. My mum, in particular, always tells me to go to the shops on my own or do stuff on my own but I can't do it when there are loads of people around, I just feel odd and terrible.

What is the best thing for me to do regarding this issue? Is this even social anxiety or am I making a big deal out of nothing? Should I go to my GP? I still don't think my mum will understand that this is what it is and it isn't always down to laziness as to why I don't like going out on my own.

Thank you.

:hugs:

Hi! :smile: Welcome to the thread!

I'd say GP would be a good call possibly - sounds as though it's affecting you, especially with starting Uni, so important to try and get help soon? :redface:

When you say to go/do stuff on your own - would you feel less anxious/be more able to if you agreed with a friend (even if just a vague friend, seeing as you've just started :redface:) to meet at the canteen for meals? (I always find I'm more likely to go to something if I've agreed with someone) or would that just lead to going to the canteen, but feeling dreadful/on edge all the time while there? Just a small thought, might not be helpful at all :redface:

Original post by Gingerbread101
I'm looking for a bit of advice too guys :smile:
I think I have some form of anxiety/stress related problem, but it ebbs and flows so much I'm not sure if it's actually a thing... I don't want to go to my GP because my parents don't know it's a problem, but I just feel really under pressure a lot of the time, in the mornings I feel really anxious for no reason and it sometimes means I can't eat breakfast and feel ill, I tend to overreact to build ups of hwk and deadlines, and I just feel generally stressed and worried about everything...

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

I guess could you go to your GP at some point under the guise of doing something else? Your GP wouldn't tell your parents unless they absolutely had to, and think it's possibly best port of call maybe? :dontknow: :redface:)
Otherwise do you have a school counsellor or Uni counselling service that you could go to? (if you're at school or Uni :colondollar: :redface:) They shouldn't tell your parents either unless it were absolutely necessary.

Sorry I don't have much more advice :s-smilie: :redface: Will have a think too :colondollar:

Welcome to the thread though :smile:

just found a job post in a local school that sounds perfect for me, but im terrified of applying. urgh.

That sounds cool :smile: I'd say go for it too :redface: though I know it's scary to.

:hugs:

Original post by guitaristemily
everything is just going wrong right now :frown:

:frown: :hugs: I'm sorry to hear about your panic attacks today
lots of hugs :penguinhug:
Reply 5430
stop stop stoppppp with the thoughts brain, please for one night leave me alone

I'm off to the library in a sec to do an all nighter "learning spss in one night" session so pity me too! :p: Once I work out how to use this damned apple crap!
Original post by purple-duck
Didn't go :sad: Need to soon, but just wasn't in any sort of mood too :s-smilie: even if it probs would've helped... :/
"They *sound* it"!? see watcha did there :ahee: Good :smile:

:frown: Sorry you've not been so great :console: oo awesome! Are you usually on an alto sax? Bigger instrument = more important in orchestra/jazz group :yep: :tongue: (tenor sax is bigger, right? I think it is :ninja:)
I hope it goes okay when it comes along :redface: :hugs:
oo well done! Hoping to do choir this year too - didn't last year :sad: Haha :colondollar: I really wish I could sing soprano :sad: Used to be able to when I was younger/pre year 9-10 or something. Am a baritone now I think (:dontknow:) What do you normally sing? :smile:

Yeah I think there are others, think I'm going to make appointment with MH guy (seen him once before, he's a psychologist I think? works in student support MH services) GP said to do that at least/I ought to. Well I sort of mean carrying on as I planned/with trying to get better - got group therapy starting in a month or so I think. Today's not been good though sadly :frown: and yesterday was :s-smilie: Kinda confused/worried about what's going to happen now. Sorry, anyway...

Yeah I suppose so :colondollar: Though often end up writing before bed or something and keep writing for too long/just get tired :tongue: There's some good youtube tutorials :yep: can link you the one I used if you like - gets easier too to write down the algorithms and then you can practice off a small set of instructions until you learn them :smile: Did some times today when hiding in my room (:hide: :s-smilie:) - managed 53s (:smug: :lol:) though usually get about 1m20 or something I guess? :redface: Is good fun :yep: :smile:

Ah well, there's always tomorrow! Sorry that you weren't feeling great though :frown: Oops, hadn't even noticed that :lol:

Yeah I am :smile: It is bigger! That's true, I'm used to playing all the top parts on flute (although not been to that band/orchestra before) so will certainly be a change :eek: Should be good though hopefully :biggrin: But do it! Choirs are amazing :yep: I used to sing soprano too (or the middle part in an SSA choir), I still kind of can but prefer alto if I get the choice. Baritone's good though, it means you get all the interesting bits :tongue:

Good! So GP did help a bit, maybe. Group therapy should help too hopefully, not that I have any idea what's involved :colondollar: Aww :console: For me neither really, although a bit better this evening :s-smilie: As I said to Scary though, feel free to PM me if you need/want to :hugs:

You still do it though! That's more than I do :redface: Ooh yes please! 53 seconds is fast though :eek3:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samba
I'm off to the library in a sec to do an all nighter "learning spss in one night" session so pity me too! :p: Once I work out how to use this damned apple crap!

hey, don't insult the holy one AKA the macbook gods :tongue:
You won't learn anything f you do an all nighter and it will be unproductive especially if you a busy day the following day expect your sleeping pattern to be out of whack

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5434
hey, don't insult the holy one AKA the macbook gods :tongue:

Man I never knew uploading music could be such a chore! No idea how you do this! Chin up btw, you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 5435
Original post by iloveteddy14
You won't learn anything f you do an all nighter and it will be unproductive especially if you a busy day the following day expect your sleeping pattern to be out of whack

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks, but the words 'sleep pattern' and 'samba' don't live on the same continent or even planet! :p:
gone from being a paranoid mess and unable to leave the flat, to filling in a job application form!
:s-smilie:
I've been lying doing nothing all night, so many crafty or arty things I'd planned to do and ive just got no motivation.. I miss Ash :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
gone from being a paranoid mess and unable to leave the flat, to filling in a job application form!
:s-smilie:

Woo! We all belief in you :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samba
Anybody know how to upload music to an ipod? :\

Make the playlist in itunes (easier said than done in my experience :tongue:) then plug your ipod in and press the sync button. Can't remember what the symbol for that is though, google it! You might also have to go through some 'registering your ipod' crap if you're plugging it in for the first time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest