The Student Room Group

RAF & Drug Tests

I'm in need of some specific info.
Hopefully there's some currently serving member who can shed a light on a few things for me.

Firstly I'll be completely open here, I have used steroids recently, as recent as 5 months ago and I honestly wont be using any again.

So as for the medical, what drugs do they test for? (I understand they do urine & blood tests these days)

Are the blood tests regular tests to just check if your clean? (as in don't have Aids etc) I mention this I have read a lot posts throughout certain forums and they have said that to test for steroids they have to being looking for a specific type and I've heard that steroid tests are too expensive to carry out on each individual.

I know some will reply with "Just wait 18 months until my system is definitely clean" but I have been fast-tracked to the selection interview due to how well I scored on an AST I sat 3 years ago but decided not to continue with my application due to personal matters.

So I don't really want to lose my advantageous position by waiting.

Also what are the consequences if they do find steroids in my system during the medical?

All answers would be very much appreciated.

I know I'll get some stick for using gear in the first place but from what I've read there are or have been plenty of personnel in the forces that are on or have used gear at some point. Cheers!
Original post by Eggchaser

I know I'll get some stick for using gear in the first place but from what I've read there are or have been plenty of personnel in the forces that are on or have used gear at some point. Cheers!

Some, not many, certainly not 'plenty'.

The Armed Forces Compulsory Drug Test (CDT) can detect steroids. I don't know if or when new starters come under the CDT regime but I've certainly been at Halton when they have visited.

Steroid use will get someone kicked out.
Reply 2
Original post by ProStacker
The Armed Forces Compulsory Drug Test (CDT) can detect steroids. I don't know if or when new starters come under the CDT regime but I've certainly been at Halton when they have visited.

Steroid use will get someone kicked out.

Ok, thanks for the relatively speedy reply btw. Is it better to be open about it and tell them at the interview or will that just be shooting myself in the foot?
Reply 3
Ok, thanks for the relatively speedy reply btw. Is it better to be open about it and tell them at the interview or will that just be shooting myself in the foot?

Look up "RAF Core Values" :wink:
You will not be tested for drugs until you are actually in the RAF (happy to be corrected on this). I doubt you would be tested as part of the selection procedure (I certainly wasn't - there are certain forms/waivers that you have to sign to give permission for your piss to be tested).

I've been tested quite a few times and there is no getting out of it. They test for recreational drugs as well as steroids.

I don't know how long steroids stay in the system. You have to make your own decision as to whether or not you tell the careers office.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Everyone seems to think they dont test for roids, but they do, and I'm sure we have all known someone who has been kicked out because of it. There is literally no argument, they can tell the difference between say second hand weed - the old "i was in a room and people were smoking pot", this wouldn;t come up.

Roids will.

I'm sure I was tested before I joined, why else would they take a piss sample (I might be wrong on this).
Original post by tim_123

I'm sure I was tested before I joined, why else would they take a piss sample (I might be wrong on this).

Diabetes test.
Reply 7
Original post by tim_123
Everyone seems to think they dont test for roids, but they do, and I'm sure we have all known someone who has been kicked out because of it. There is literally no argument, they can tell the difference between say second hand weed - the old "i was in a room and people were smoking pot", this wouldn;t come up.

Roids will.

Thanks for the reply.

I have read plenty on steroid testing and apparently it is too much of an expensive and highly specific test to carry out on every single potential recruit. I think recreational drugs get tested for during the urine test.

Only when the CDT guys come around do they specifically test for roids along with the other drugs, from what I've read.
Reply 8
Original post by ProStacker
Diabetes test.

Do they take a blood sample as well as a urine sample at the medical?
(edited 9 years ago)

Only when the CDT guys come around do they specifically test for roids along with the other drugs, from what I've read.

and I have been at Halton when the CDT Team arrived and locked the place down. They tested new trainees as well as everyone else until they hit their target numbers.

Whatever you decide, it's up to you and you have to live with the consequences, whatever they are. Reading up about anything does not change the fact that you took the gear - I'm guessing to make you a bigger and stronger rugby player. If your game will make you do that, what else might tempt you into actions the Forces don't agree with? It's down to you.
Reply 10
I went to a brief about supplements and how a lot of them contain banned substances these days; a lot of people are unknowingly taking them.

When it comes to testing for steroids... The Navy don't care for it, the army are strict on it and the RAF are kind of in the middle.

Standard CDT does not pick up AAS, however, if someone is grassed up (there are plenty of grassers in the RAF, worse than school children ), then CDT will show up and do their thing and include that person and a certain % of others to test for AAS.

Drinking is encouraged, smoking is tolerated yet steroids are banned. Weird system.
Reply 11
Original post by Tom_88
Drinking is encouraged, smoking is tolerated yet steroids are banned. Weird system.

I wouldn't say drinking is encouraged. It's quite possible to sit through a mess do without touching alcohol, let alone having it forced down your throat via a bong or being called a dullard.

The psychological side effects of anabolic steroids is probably the reason for it's ban.

From the NHS site:

Anabolic steroids can also cause the following psychological or emotional effects:
aggressive behaviour
mood swings
manic behaviour
hallucinations and delusions

Coming off anabolic steroids suddenly can result in withdrawal symptoms that include:
depression and apathy
feelings of anxiety
difficulty concentrating
insomnia
anorexia
decreased sex drive
fatigue (extreme tiredness)
headaches
muscle and joint pain
Reply 12
What about beta blockers? Would there be consequences for someone who took one for anxiety, to get through the interview?
Drug testing is done on serving personnel, so you wouldn't be drug tested as part of the selection process as far as I'm aware.

I would however, question your motivation to join the armed forces and potentially face extremes of stress when you need to medicate yourself to get through an interview.
Original post by Cidby
What about beta blockers? Would there be consequences for someone who took one for anxiety, to get through the interview?

If you have to take beta blockers for anxiety to get through the interview, you aren't suited to military service. You know you can legally get shot at when you are a soldier? Seriously, the interview is completely trivial compared with high pressure, risky and downright dangerous situations you will meet and need to deal with on the spot, time and time again in any of the Services.
Original post by Cidby
Would there be consequences for someone who took one for anxiety, to get through the interview?

Yes, you'll fail training, because that's far harder and much more likely to cause anxiety and stress - and you won't be able to take pills for that.
Reply 16
Not quite what I was asking, having been in the forces already, myself but maybe someone out there could possibly answer the question regarding acceptability of the drug type and metabolism - perhaps I didn’t make myself clear. Thanks anyway.
Yes there would be consequences, you'd fail the medical. Beta blockers aren't an over-the-counter medication, so presumably you have a prescription, which will show up on your medical records. You will also be asked int eh medical if you are currently on medication. Having to take beta-blockers for something as trivial as the interview would almost certainly be a failure on the basis of 'anxiety symptoms within the last 12 months'.

Original post by Cidby
Not quite what I was asking, having been in the forces already, myself but maybe someone out there could possibly answer the question regarding acceptability of the drug type and metabolism - perhaps I didn’t make myself clear. Thanks anyway.
So they wont test you until you pass the ast and have been accepted into the raf?

Latest