The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
When you feed the ducks does all the goose poop not bother you? :biggrin:

That was such a random question I actually just burst out laughing at it :lol: Quite true though, not thought of that! I remember the one year they tried to put a sandpit in at school two geese started nesting in it and there was a tree at the end that people almost kept running into... They got rid of it after a couple of weeks :tongue:

How are you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by purple-duck

I guess could you go to your GP at some point under the guise of doing something else? Your GP wouldn't tell your parents unless they absolutely had to, and think it's possibly best port of call maybe? :dontknow: :redface:)
Otherwise do you have a school counsellor or Uni counselling service that you could go to? (if you're at school or Uni :colondollar: :redface:) They shouldn't tell your parents either unless it were absolutely necessary.

Sorry I don't have much more advice :s-smilie: :redface: Will have a think too :colondollar:

Welcome to the thread though :smile:

I could have a see if the school have anything, I've never heard about one before though... I suppose I could always talk to my form tutor or something? They wouldn't be able to do a lot but they'd probably be able to give me a bit of advice

Didn't sleep too well but feeling more stable today, did some meditation/relaxation stuff :smile:

Also loving the love for The Smiths on this thread, I swear if it wasn't for them, Joy Division, Radiohead and Pink Floyd I'd be in a much worse way most of the time!

That's true :smile: Yeah tbf going up there in new smaller car was quite scary, but once you're there for a bit get used to it quite quickly? :redface: Motorway was scary once you properly thought about it - being in a massive box of metal hurtling along next to other boxes of metal :tongue: But you can ignore that :colondollar:

That's ages :eek: Glad it's looking better :biggrin: what?! That's ridiculous - 5 minutes early is like the perfect time to arrive for something :mad:
I found it didn't take too long - like a long evening/half day I guess? Hope it's gone okay - are you moving in this weekend? :smile: Haha :colondollar:

Not yet - yeah last year they did, but in a house now - we'll get one soon/once everyone gets here - though someone's dropped out!!! :eek: They failed their resits which is a shame :sad: (hadn't even realised they had resits to do) so they're not back for next year which is sad :frown: He was a new person/someone we'd not properly met, apart from 2 times when he was deciding or something. But we're had the worst luck with it :tongue: There were 5 of us, then before we found a house someone said they were switching Uni's/reapplying, then when we signed a 4-bed house, the 4th person decided that they were changing Uni's, and now this person! :eek: :colondollar: Must be something about us :erm: :ninja:

Sandwich toasters are good - I think the person who's not here yet (but who is staying :colondollar:) has a george foreman grill thing - so will use that for toasties :biggrin:
*takes toaster* thanks :lol:

I will reply to you later, just have a lot of things to do with packing and moving to uni etc so I'm a bit busy rn, sorry!
Today is gonna be a busy day for me academically I am gonna complete that social work practical as today's the deadline. Then do some English literature AS work better get learning the material and then work on a bit of psychology AS hopefully get my self ready to submit my test papers for Tuesday and hopefully I will be finished for few days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who is banking that's my kindle isn't charged yet even though it's had 12+ of charging

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** is getting real about moving out on Sunday...soooooo excited :biggrin:
Original post by tasha96
Theyre talking about hospital again. :bawling:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: So sorry things have got that bad again. Have you discussed what the alternatives are? Maybe you can work out some extra support that might avoid hospitalisation?

Odd socks
:hi:

Hello beautiful! :love: Thanks for having me, I had an awesome time. Missing you already! :tongue:
Today I am feeling tired I have done too much this week anyway my body is not yet used the amount of academic work and walking I gotta do and stress. It will take while for my body to get used to it and hopefully by next week I will enjoy it every day rather than feel like a chore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:hugs: to everyone here :smile:

:hugs: Todays been worse sadly, but will see how things pan out once lectures start :redface:

What part of going out with friends are you nervous about? (sorry if this is too late for any help regarding that :s-smilie:)
I can definitely relate to getting anxious about seeing friends/going to a house - always semi-hate parties just because you can't easily escape/get away when you need it, and always people about talking/being loud :redface:
If it's happened then I hope it went okay :hugs:

awwww :frown: :hugs:
Hopefully it will get better.

And its the meeting new people bit. I am fine with people I know, fine with people I know online but am meeting for the first time IRL and fine with new people if there are more people I know than don't know. But it is when I only know a couple of people and there are around 10 people I don't know, as was the case on Wednesday night, where I get really nervous. It's not even people being loud / needing to get way, just I really get nervous when new people are involved.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but that was after having a beer before leaving my house and quickly drinking the first one I had at my friends house too.
Original post by superwolf
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: So sorry things have got that bad again. Have you discussed what the alternatives are? Maybe you can work out some extra support that might avoid hospitalisation?

Hello beautiful! :love: Thanks for having me, I had an awesome time. Missing you already! :tongue:

:lovehug: miss you too!

---

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
:lovehug: miss you too!

---

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Picked a couple of little boats out with my daddy. Uncle and grandad are both involved now too and I suspect my nana is probably already knocking me some curtains and bedding together and deciding on refurbing any upholstery she can get her hands on. I'm really lucky to have such an awesome boating family around me. At least it'll keep maintenance down and I have all of that advice and guidance behind me. My home marina will be super cheap since my uncle runs it and my uni marina has all of the mod cons. It's going to be brilliant as long as I don't freak out over it.

Original post by Meaty_man
My my it's busy in here today :v

You may of already been told this, but CBT requires a lot of input and effort from your side, effectively they will give you the tools to help yourself, but you still need to use those tools, or you won't see any progress.

I've been through CBT with various therapists before, each with their own take on it. Something i'd recommend doing is putting into practice what you have learnt while you are feeling in a good mood, if you practice things when you feel good, it will be much easier to do when you're feeling really down. I say this because i know it can be very difficult to apply CBT stuff when you're feeling really low.

It isn't for everyone, but i do believe everyone can take something away from CBT, be it coping strategies or exercises that help you to cope. It also gives you a lot of knowledge into the whys and hows of depression, and when we understand something better it's never quite as scary. Best of luck to you with it!

I have days where i feel really disconnected, even moreso than normal :| :hugs: Easier said than done but try not to think too much about it :console: I would write down pretty much everything, people in that line of work are generally nice people and won't care for how little or much much you want to disclose to them. Besides, even if some things aren't in their field of expertise, they may be able to sort something out for you, or give some sort of advice.

It's a shame that it has to be done, but pestering people and chasing them up gets things done from my experience. Have you emailed them again or given them a phonecall? :penguinhug:

Keeping yourself busy is always healthy imo :biggrin: If nothing else you should sleep easily when night time comes around :smile:

I'm certain other people will not be bothered as much as you are about it, we are all attractive in some ways; a nice bum, legs, eyes, personality, body shape, voice, eyes. There's a long list or things trust me :smile: Most of us have things we dislike about our appearance, i have quite a few myself :getmecoat: focus on improving what's good about you, instead of the things you don't like :tongue:

They got back to me this morning with an appointment for Monday with their mental health team. Bit nervous and worried I'm going to be pushed through all of the city's mad mental health schemes again.

How're you doing?
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Picked a couple of little boats out with my daddy. Uncle and grandad are both involved now too and I suspect my nana is probably already knocking me some curtains and bedding together and deciding on refurbing any upholstery she can get her hands on. I'm really lucky to have such an awesome boating family around me. At least it'll keep maintenance down and I have all of that advice and guidance behind me. My home marina will be super cheap since my uncle runs it and my uni marina has all of the mod cons. It's going to be brilliant as long as I don't freak out over it.

Ooh, awesome! :teeth: Pics please once you've nabbed one for certain!

Also I will definitely get you a boatwarming gift. :tongue:
Seeing signs again
Well I think you just have to find out - they may be a lot more supportive than you think - and can give them some info about it when/if you tell them? :smile: (I haven't told my family at all, though I probably should :s-smilie:)

Hmm, I suppose see how it goes over the next week/maybe try and find someone to go down with? Important that you eat enough and things, can you get access to a microwave or something to make meals that way? or if you have a friend in self-catered halls could you cook with them? :redface:

Yeah, i'm going home for the weekend today so probably going to have to talk about it with them. I just need to explain what happens to me and the reasons why and hope that they understand. Do you have social anxiety too? :hugs:

There is a shared kitchen but most people use it as a communal area and I don't feel confident going in there when there are others already there. I don't really have any uni friends at the moment. I am moving into the other halls which is also catered so I may find the courage to go to the canteen more then. I don't know. All I know is that I need to start eating properly but this is still a big problem unfortunately,

Is everything alright with you? :hugs:
Original post by ScaryScience
Seeing signs again

:hugs: Here if you want to talk things through. :smile:
:hugs: Here if you want to talk things through. :smile:

Thanks. Am in uni atm and am scared. People are talking about bad things and that never normally happens and I'm worried. People jumping out at me and it's so loud and busy and I can't do it feel like I can't breathe and I shouldn't be here and it's horrible
Original post by ScaryScience
Thanks. Am in uni atm and am scared. People are talking about bad things and that never normally happens and I'm worried. People jumping out at me and it's so loud and busy and I can't do it feel like I can't breathe and I shouldn't be here and it's horrible

:hugs: I usually go hide in the toilets for a bit when I'm feeling like that. You absolutely should be at uni, but equally you've got to look after yourself too. Get a few minutes to yourself, see if you calm down and then decide what you'd rather do. :smile:
:hugs: I usually go hide in the toilets for a bit when I'm feeling like that. You absolutely should be at uni, but equally you've got to look after yourself too. Get a few minutes to yourself, see if you calm down and then decide what you'd rather do. :smile:

Yeah have already freaked out in toilets today. Have a practical soon but tbh I want to hurt myself so not sure it's a good idea

Latest