The Student Room Group

How can I stop procrastinating?

Well,I do this before studying Economics(my favorite subject;my teacher claims I am talented at it) and Physics.I haven't touched these subjects for a while.Is it because there's too much to read and learn?One of the reasons I procrastinate is that I think I can't achieve the goals I've set for each day i.e eat less etc.I don't do this before studying Maths because It's becoming my favorite subject and I've got a decent mark in my first test(24/25).
How can I change such mentality?
Help!
Reply 1
The only way that you will stop being afraid of these subjects is to sit down and take a good look at them :smile:

Our sixth form head teacher always used to say this terrible phrase "How do you eat an elephant…in small chunks!" (I mean I don't eat elephants at all but it's a figure of speech so any who :tongue:)
Reply 2
Original post by Riku
The only way that you will stop being afraid of these subjects is to sit down and take a good look at them :smile:

Our sixth form head teacher always used to say this terrible phrase "How do you eat an elephant…in small chunks!" (I mean I don't eat elephants at all but it's a figure of speech so any who :tongue:)

Well,that might be the reason then!I am too afraid to study those subjects.I'll do what you've said!Cheers!
P.S That phrase sounded amusing!
That's a great phrase! I find the only way I get around it is to not put so much pressure on, just pick up a book with the intention of reading for 1-2 mins. If that's all you do, it's more than you would have done. If you occasionally do a bit more by accident, that's cool too.
Reply 4
Original post by Captain Jack
That's a great phrase! I find the only way I get around it is to not put so much pressure on, just pick up a book with the intention of reading for 1-2 mins. If that's all you do, it's more than you would have done. If you occasionally do a bit more by accident, that's cool too.

Ah,alright!Thank you!So I should read my books for a minute or two and if I do this frequently,I'd surely get the hang of reading them.
Reply 5
I'd google it, tomorrow...
Original post by Skill Twix
Ah,alright!Thank you!So I should read my books for a minute or two and if I do this frequently,I'd surely get the hang of reading them.

Yeah, it's psychological. If you think about having to sit down for hours and learn everything, it's too much. But if you just read a page at a time, you get started, learn a little something. It just makes it that bit more palatable, and the chances are, once you've started you'll end up doing more anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by Captain Jack
Yeah, it's psychological. If you think about having to sit down for hours and learn everything, it's too much. But if you just read a page at a time, you get started, learn a little something. It just makes it that bit more palatable, and the chances are, once you've started you'll end up doing more anyway.

Well yes that's true.I hated A-level 2 weeks ago.But these days,I never seem to lose interest.I feel like studying Maths for hours.I'll start Economics and Physics this weekend.
Reply 8
Don't fight it, go with it. If you fight it, it'll always be an uphill struggle. I always struggled with it, until I reframed the problem - I wasn't procrastinating enough. Take it to the next level: Procrastinate from procrastinating.

(Also techniques like the pomodoro method are great!)
Reply 9
Original post by miser
Don't fight it, go with it. If you fight it, it'll always be an uphill struggle. I always struggled with it, until I reframed the problem - I wasn't procrastinating enough. Take it to the next level: Procrastinate from procrastinating.

(Also techniques like the pomodoro method are great!)

Wait what!Procrastinate from procrastinating?I always try to fight it but after a couple of days,it just kills me!
Reply 10
Original post by Skill Twix
Wait what!Procrastinate from procrastinating?I always try to fight it but after a couple of days,it just kills me!

Of course it kills you! It's your urge to procrastinate. You're fighting your nature, trying to re-wire your brain. Fixing something like that takes years.

Let me guess a few things about your current situation. Firstly, you expect studying to feel naff - then unsurprisingly it is naff. Secondly, you're constantly considering whether to stop or how long you have left - this saps your will power, which is a finite resource. Thirdly, you have solidly framed your choices as being between studying (not-procrastinating) and relaxing (procrastinating). These things are all holding you back.

There are some things we can do for hours and hours - things that ought to feel naff, but we get by seemingly without a problem. Somehow I manage to sit in a chair at work 8 hours a day. I've done this so much that I'm just used to it - conceptually I know it's naff, but I don't feel it so much. The more studying you do, the more you'll feel the same way about it. But it is at root all about mindset.

Being able to do the things you want to do is really all about framing the choices you make. Everyone has a competition of things they want to do - in your case it's relax versus study. When you're not studying in order to relax, it's called procrastinating. But what if you're putting off relaxing in order to study?

If you can just frame studying to be procrastinating from relaxing, this will give you a greater freedom in choosing which activity you're going to do. If you can find some way to convince your mind that studying is the easier, more attractive option, you will be able to do it without problem.

Maybe that's very hard. I honestly don't know how practicable this advice is to other people - I spend a lot of time trying to understand myself and finding ways to trick myself into being more successful. Stuff like this is how I like to think about things. Meta-procrastination's almost a joke, but if you can see both options as procrastinating, you can feel more free to choose the one over the other.
Original post by miser
Of course it kills you! It's your urge to procrastinate. You're fighting your nature, trying to re-wire your brain. Fixing something like that takes years.

Let me guess a few things about your current situation. Firstly, you expect studying to feel naff - then unsurprisingly it is naff. Secondly, you're constantly considering whether to stop or how long you have left - this saps your will power, which is a finite resource. Thirdly, you have solidly framed your choices as being between studying (not-procrastinating) and relaxing (procrastinating). These things are all holding you back.

There are some things we can do for hours and hours - things that ought to feel naff, but we get by seemingly without a problem. Somehow I manage to sit in a chair at work 8 hours a day. I've done this so much that I'm just used to it - conceptually I know it's naff, but I don't feel it so much. The more studying you do, the more you'll feel the same way about it. But it is at root all about mindset.

Being able to do the things you want to do is really all about framing the choices you make. Everyone has a competition of things they want to do - in your case it's relax versus study. When you're not studying in order to relax, it's called procrastinating. But what if you're putting off relaxing in order to study?

If you can just frame studying to be procrastinating from relaxing, this will give you a greater freedom in choosing which activity you're going to do. If you can find some way to convince your mind that studying is the easier, more attractive option, you will be able to do it without problem.

Maybe that's very hard. I honestly don't know how practicable this advice is to other people - I spend a lot of time trying to understand myself and finding ways to trick myself into being more successful. Stuff like this is how I like to think about things. Meta-procrastination's almost a joke, but if you can see both options as procrastinating, you can feel more free to choose the one over the other.

Well,what you've said clearly applies to me.Well,yes I can remind myself that studying is much easier.Cheers for your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending