The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What option will you advice for someone who wants go into finance after Mathematics?
And how hard is to get 70+ on 1st year Maths?

Original post by TenOfThem
Most do not go into teaching

Grade at A level and their impact depends on the university

You will have a lot of options at university and can minimise the mechanics if you need to
Original post by MatureIsGood:))
What option will you advice for someone who wants go into finance after Mathematics?
And how hard is to get 70+ on 1st year Maths?

You will probably have compulsory units - other than that I would choose stats units - if you can choose outside of faculty look for some economics or finance units

As for the 1st - impossible to say since I do not know your ability nor the standard expected at your university
Original post by Autistic Merit
1. Year 7 because they behave like angels for 2/3 of the year at least. Also easy to tell them off as it still has an effect on them.

2. I think base 12 would actually be better since 12 has more factors. But I don't know why base 10 was chosen as opposed to other possibilities. I know other civilisations used different bases.

3. Yes it is very frustrating to see them throw away their opportunities. Especially when you see students from the same school who really want to do well, it breaks my heart in a way to see how some come from broken families and have **** home lives (we are allowed to know a bit about their backgrounds) but still put in maximum effort in school and are always polite even though they have every excuse to give up hope.

how do you know anything about their backgrounds?
What's the typical interview questions like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although my last question was not answered, I ask you a question again: As a teacher do you have the impression that your students learn for exams only, but not for life?
Reply 745
Could you teach maths in french?
What's your favourite topic in Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frankthebunny
do you get paid during the holidays?

We get paid the same amount each month, regardless of whether it is a holiday or not.

Original post by Kallisto
What would you as teacher do, so students are able to understand what they have to learn in school? Do you think it would be better for students when they have opportunities to make experiences out of the schools to see what 'the lot of facts' as you said means in everyday life?

We sometimes take them on a school trip but there's not much time for this as we are limited by our curriculum.

Original post by Ibrahim-TeamGR
Hi. I am starting my degree in English and Creative Writing. Will this enable me to enter secondary level teaching? What is your option?Also is teach first or PGCE better? Much Obliged, ThankYou. Ibrahim

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course. Personally, I think PGCE is better than TeachFirst.
Would you go out with another teacher from the same school? :colone:
Original post by tabmax22
How much do you get paid as a teacher?

A bit too personal really. I've added the teacher pay scales here though:

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

Original post by theOldBean
1. Should GCSE maths contain any coursework? Why or why not?

2. Should A-level maths contain any coursework? Why or why not?

Neither of them should contain coursework as it is a bit of a joke. The teacher will just make the students redo it until they get an A/A*. I've also heard stories of teachers in my school giving a little more help to students than is allowed.

Original post by what's up?
Do you workout?

Nope.
Original post by _infinity_
just to get you your opinion about something I did.

This year I completed my A2 exams but 3 months before the exams I told my maths teacher he was redundant,useless and a terrible teacher and then stopped going to all of my lessons in every subject. I then worked at home teaching myself and ended up with 3 A*'s at A-level which I was proud of getting through teaching myself with 100% in most exams.

However, I now feel a bit guilty of saying those things to my teacher and wondered if a student said those sort of things to you and then didn't go to your lessons after how would you feel?

Glad you feel guilty as that really was quite disrespectful.

Original post by Igooo
What advice can you give to a pupil who is starting Year 13 and who still can't decide which uni course to apply for? I mean, I have 5 As at AS with pretty high UMS, so I am confident of getting an offer from a good uni. But I am torn between chemistry and maths, and even after weighing all possible pros and cons for each option and talking to lots of people (friends, parents, teachers, tutor), I still can't make up my mind. What do you think I should do? I'm also pretty short on time as I'm an Oxbridge applicant. Thanks in advance.

I would do maths personally but then again I'm biased. :colone:
What uni did you go to? And what degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doob
do you think some of the students attractive?

you must do

No.

I find that quite hard to believe. How big is your school?

edit:

Some are attractive but of course I've never fancied any of them.

:confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by karmacrunch
That doesn't mean that you should purposefully annoy him. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you mean 'purposely', Crunchie. I thought you were good with grammar?
(...)
We sometimes take them on a school trip but there's not much time for this as we are limited by our curriculum.
(...)

So do you would suggest to limit the limitation of the curriculum, so teacher and students are able to have more liberties which can be used to create realistic lessons? Is it that what should be changed in the UK education system?

By the way you have not answered my another question: As a teacher do you have the impression that your students learn for exams only, but not for life?
If you are Math teacher I have a few questions:
I will start my Mathematics degree this year but I do not want be a teacher what is percentage of people going into finance after Msci Mathematics?
What is the best advice for someone who decided to do the degree mathematics?
can you tell me what kind of part-time jobs did you do during your study??
That's it for now.

1. No idea. I've never known anyone to go into finance on my course.
2. Focus on getting a work life balance and try to get on your lecturer's good side.
3. I never had a part-time job when studying.

[QUOTE=MatureIsGood[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]);50017433]By the way if you had from A level Mathematics B and Further Mathematics B how hard was for you on Uni I did A level Fast track Mathematics I achieved grade A, I haven't done Further Mathematics as I planned to do this year fast track with predicted already A or A* but Uni offered me a place straight away. I need 70+ to jump on MSci and I do not know how hard is to achieve 70+?

No idea as I went to a rather ****ty university to be honest. I won't say which uni it was on here.
Oh and the last one: how important is Mathematics Mechanics on Uni? I had A in that but that was a miracle as I did just half of the paper (really!!!) and after this year I am literally scared of it:smile:)
Probably will have more questions later on

Not important as I never did any mechanics in my maths degree.

Original post by swaggersaurusrex
how do you know anything about their backgrounds?

It's on the school system for some students.

Original post by nabil921
What's the typical interview questions like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The questions usually ask for evidence of experience of working with children. Also you may be questioned on how you would explain a mathematical concept in more than one way.
Although my last question was not answered, I ask you a question again: As a teacher do you have the impression that your students learn for exams only, but not for life?

They learn for exams only, yes. It's all about grades and qualifications.

Original post by godd
Could you teach maths in french?

No since all I know is 'bonjour' and 'merci'.

Original post by Madmatician
What's your favourite topic in Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything to do with fractions
Reply 758
What subject do you teach?
Original post by Arithmeticae
Would you go out with another teacher from the same school? :colone:

No. I doubt any would go out with me anyway.

Original post by lozasaurus99
What uni did you go to? And what degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not saying as I wish to remain absolutely anonymous for obvious reasons.

Original post by Nedum Onuoha
I find that quite hard to believe. How big is your school?

edit:

:confused:

It has about 1500 students.

So do you would suggest to limit the limitation of the curriculum, so teacher and students are able to have more liberties which can be used to create realistic lessons? Is it that what should be changed in the UK education system?

Yes that is a change that needs to be made, absolutely.

Latest