The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Is Can bought to be Gerrard's successor? Or has he been bought to play alongside him when one of Allen/Hendo can't.
Asking because its almost become a trending thing that Gerrard plays horribly for the first half of the season and to be frank I don't think Gerrard has more than 2 seasons left in him.
I dont really see Can as being that guy, i dont think he offers the protection but im only judging this on him play on the right side of CM, so its hard to say considering I know he's played there before.
If we want to really secure a 4th place spot then Gerrard is the most important thing to improve on, I'd say this summer we should be trying to get someone who offers the mobility to be able to get around and cover/offer protection and really importantly has more versatility so that we have the option to play him in 2 as well as a 3 if needs be.

Tbh if you look at Gerrard some games now he's not even playing DM he's more or less positioned as a 3rd CB because he slots in between when we push up. Gerrard can make a tackle but he'll be exposed more and more often agaonst teams who counter with pace in that position and we will have more Demba Ba moments.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr Pink
I think we have strayed away from the original point I was trying to get across to be honest. I wouldn't excuse his form on just that racism case though, your whole defence was left exposed under those tactics which is what we have to deal with watching Arsenal play decent opposition away from home. I think a lot of people out there assume Mertesacker is useless defender because of his lack of pace and use the big away games as some sort of concrete proof of his inabilities. As Zurich said, he is a perfect defender to have in the right system.

I agree that he would be found out in Liverpool's system but I haven't once compared him to any of Liverpool's defenders, I think someone else made that claim. I couldn't bare to imagine a team consisting of Mertesacker, Skrtel and Gerrard.

The defence was left exposed but how bad was it really, we lost 5-3 to Arsenal, however we also beat City 2-1, lost to United 3-1 and drew 3-3, drew to spurs 1-1, lost to Liverpool 2-1, we won vs Everton 3-1 and then lost 2-0.

We did not lose once by a 3 goal margin, despite how bad our tactics were... yet every away game Arsenal did vs the top 5 they lost by at least a 3 goal margin, conceding 6 goals to Chelsea and City and 5 to pool. It's not in any way comparable to Chelsea who equally played suicide tactics like Arsenal. Plus when it came to it and AVB/Di Matteo put a bus in front of goal it was pretty much unpenetratable.

Original post by So Instinct

Tbh if you look at Gerrard some games now he's not even playing DM he's more or less positioned as a 3rd CB because he slots in between when we push up. Gerrard can make a tackle but he'll be exposed more and more often agaonst teams who counter with pace in that position and we will have more Demba Ba moments.

That's Rodgers system, the 3rd CB allows better control of possession as you can recycle possession and the fullbacks push higher up, It's not even supposed to leave him exposed anyway as he supposedly has another 2 CBs to run it, it's where he's meant to get the most protection as long as you avoid putting a run on the defence, if anything the people in front of him should be helping out more. This is reminiscent of when Real Madrid played the 4-3-3 last season. Henderson is essentially the di Maria of the team but you're missing the Modric who can get you up the pitch with play making skills. In reality Coutinho should be that man or Lallana.
(edited 9 years ago)
Really looking forward to your game - feels huge.

Absolute must-win as If you loose, its as-good-as the title race is over.
I think Ballotelli needs to get more clinical. He's not the type of player who would be satisfied with a spot on the bench.
Everton is a really tough opponent with their pace on the wings and Howard should be a good test for liverpool and I think liverpool must play with really tight spaces between defenders as the champions league teams will easily abuse that like Real madrid for instance.
Original post by jam278
The defence was left exposed but how bad was it really, we lost 5-3 to Arsenal, however we also beat City 2-1, lost to United 3-1 and drew 3-3, drew to spurs 1-1, lost to Liverpool 2-1, we won vs Everton 3-1 and then lost 2-0.

We did not lose once by a 3 goal margin, despite how bad our tactics were... yet every away game Arsenal did vs the top 5 they lost by at least a 3 goal margin, conceding 6 goals to Chelsea and City and 5 to pool. It's not in any way comparable to Chelsea who equally played suicide tactics like Arsenal. Plus when it came to it and AVB/Di Matteo put a bus in front of goal it was pretty much unpenetratable.

That's Rodgers system, the 3rd CB allows better control of possession as you can recycle possession and the fullbacks push higher up, It's not even supposed to leave him exposed anyway as he supposedly has another 2 CBs to run it, it's where he's meant to get the most protection as long as you avoid putting a run on the defence, if anything the people in front of him should be helping out more. This is reminiscent of when Real Madrid played the 4-3-3 last season. Henderson is essentially the di Maria of the team but you're missing the Modric who can get you up the pitch with play making skills. In reality Coutinho should be that man or Lallana.

Exposed in the sense that he will always get pressed by the striker(s) or a front 3 if the teams playing 4-3-3, that's how teams shut him down they always just sit someone on him (e.g. against WH it was Downing, against Villa it was mostly Agbonlahor) and if he happens to lose the ball while sitting deep as the 3rd CB then the team has a free run on goal 1v1 because the 2 normal CB's split to either side to rotate the possession around while the fullbacks are pushing up as you said, if not then they just have a run on our defense. Teams seem to have just worked out how to shut Gerrard down and expose his him by giving him no room or time.

It's not even a bad system, it's very good with the right person but you deffo need someone more mobile there, someone with Gerrards passing ability but with Lovrens body would be much better in that spot, the pace, ability to track runners, kill off any penetrative runs/dribbles and decent last ditch tackling to make up for any errors.
We're deffo just making do for the first half of the season, March onwards Gerrard will probs be alright if you take his form as a pattern.

WTB Fernandinho pls.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hart to Liverpool ? Surely not...
At work during the game tommorow :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fallen_acorns
Really looking forward to your game - feels huge.

Absolute must-win as If you loose, its as-good-as the title race is over.

we aren't in the title ace at all - it's must win because it's a derby and we need to get and stay ahead of unnited, spurs and everton.

Original post by MiaSanMia
I think Ballotelli needs to get more clinical. He's not the type of player who would be satisfied with a spot on the bench.
Everton is a really tough opponent with their pace on the wings and Howard should be a good test for liverpool and I think liverpool must play with really tight spaces between defenders as the champions league teams will easily abuse that like Real madrid for instance.

true but let's give him time first maybe.

i'd quite like to see a diamond with lambert and balotelli up top.
lambert didn't play well on tuesday but i think rodgers needs to learn how to utilise him best.
he's decent at holding the ball up and laying it off but he's really good at beating centre backs to headers, flicking them on for a runner in behind.
balotelli isn't a speedster like sterling, but he's much more mobile than lambert and coupled with his strength they could play off each other quite well until sturridge gets back.

Original post by Bromaldehyde
Hart to Liverpool ? Surely not...

why not?
not heard anything concrete but i wouldn't say he's an unnatainable target for us if swe don't get valdes.
Original post by Lúcio
we aren't in the title ace at all - it's must win because it's a derby and we need to get and stay ahead of unnited, spurs and everton.

True, and neither are my team (arsenal) or so it seems at the moment.. really I think everyone can only see 2 title race teams this year..

But by all means both of our teams should have been in the title race.. had the summers gone better (you not lost players, and we actually signed players) Just kind of shows how much of a big difference a transfer window can make..

Still think its important, even if realistaclly neither of our teams are going to win the league, to be seen to be challenging for it.. it boosts moral, and gives the extra motivation which may end up proving enough to get into CL Spots..

For you guys though, a loss tommorow is just awful, that would be 4 losses out of the first 6 games, and recovering from that would be a nightmare..

I tihnk you can do it though - still predicting: 3-2 liverpool
Not filled with confidence ahead of tomorrow.
We'll win, we always do
Original post by Quickmedicalhelp
We'll win, we always do

1 win in the last 4 = "always" lol
Original post by fallen_acorns
True, and neither are my team (arsenal) or so it seems at the moment.. really I think everyone can only see 2 title race teams this year..

But by all means both of our teams should have been in the title race.. had the summers gone better (you not lost players, and we actually signed players) Just kind of shows how much of a big difference a transfer window can make..

Still think its important, even if realistaclly neither of our teams are going to win the league, to be seen to be challenging for it.. it boosts moral, and gives the extra motivation which may end up proving enough to get into CL Spots..

For you guys though, a loss tommorow is just awful, that would be 4 losses out of the first 6 games, and recovering from that would be a nightmare..

I tihnk you can do it though - still predicting: 3-2 liverpool

I can only see chelsea winning it with city being the only team remotely close to them.

Admittedly our games have been hard but a loss tomorrow gives 6/18 points which is an absolute disgrace.
Everton isn't the easiest match to win considering our local rivalry however it has come to be a must win simply because we've lost games that should've been simple.

You gotta pick up points somewhere; if you're losing to the likes of West Ham and villa you'll have to counter it by beating a bigger team like everton or Spurs.
The Everton game is basically a 3 point banker for Liverpool at Anfield. Just cant see you lot not getting the win. However if Everton beat you, then alarm bells should start ringing.
Original post by Nedum Onuoha
1 win in the last 4 = "always" lol

He obviously meant the derby at Anfield jackass.
Original post by CB91
He obviously meant the derby at Anfield jackass.

Obviously? :confused:

If that's the case then 1 in the last 2/2 in 4/3 in 7 = "always" lol
Obviously? :confused:

If that's the case then 1 in the last 2/2 in 4/3 in 7 = "always" lol

Too many numbers.

I'm only a psychology student :frown:
Original post by Lúcio
Too many numbers.

I'm only a psychology student :frown:

But you have stats modules
But you have stats modules

Oooh, somebody knows his stuff :tongue:

Nah I was just making fun of the general notion among some people that psychologists aren't clever enough to do core sciences.

This clearly isn't relevant to football so forgive me for this single off-topic post, but I could've done any of the core sciences at uni if I wanted, including mathematics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
The Everton game is basically a 3 point banker for Liverpool at Anfield. Just cant see you lot not getting the win. However if Everton beat you, then alarm bells should start ringing.

Indeed. Most people on this forum probably hadn't even started school the last time Everton won at Anfield.

Liverpool will win comfortably, quote me on that.

Quick Reply

Latest