The Student Room Group

Why did schools stop teaching creationism?

Since evolution is just a theory and hasn't been confirmed, isn't it incredibly arrogant of the scientific community to tout their beliefs as the be all end all, so much that they actually ban the teaching of alternative viewpoints?

For people who are supposed to be open minded to new ideas, I find that astounding... when the theory actually becomes fact then maybe we can go down that route but until then it is ridiculous that creationism isn't taught as standard.

Scroll to see replies

Because it's bs?
*Sigh*... http://www.notjustatheory.com/

tl;dr- a 'theory' in science is the highest accolade an idea can have. It means it's a fact, and has been proven. Creationism should be kept out of schools because it is false.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes, and while we're at it we can start teaching the gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well and maybe Scientology too, cause we're supposed to be open to new ideas, right? :rolleyes:
I can't tell if you're being serious or not?

Science requires evidence. There is for the Big Bang, but not a shred for Creationism. Should we teach other fictional beliefs in school too? My oh my, we'd be there all day.
Gravity is just a theory but I don't see you floating around anywhere
Reply 6
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I can't tell if you're being serious or not?

Science requires evidence. There is for the Big Bang, but not a shred for Creationism. Should we teach other fictional beliefs in school too? My oh my, we'd be there all day.

But its theoretical? Ie. it needs to be proven as fact before other explanations can be discredited
Reply 7
And what do you mean it hasn't been confirmed? Bar religious folk, who hasn't confirmed it, the vast majority of the scientific community pretty much consider it as fact do they not?
Original post by bertstare
Since evolution is just a theory and hasn't been confirmed, isn't it incredibly arrogant of the scientific community to tout their beliefs as the be all end all, so much that they actually ban the teaching of alternative viewpoints?

For people who are supposed to be open minded to new ideas, I find that astounding... when the theory actually becomes fact then maybe we can go down that route but until then it is ridiculous that creationism isn't taught as standard.

I don't think you understand what theory means. Evolution through natural selection is the universally accepted scientific explanation of the emergence of complex life from simple life. A theory in science is not the same thing as "theory" in a colloquial sense.

Creationism isn't a scientific theory - there is absolutely zero scientific basis behind it. You are more than welcome to teach creationism as an idea in religious studies, but not in science. It's an alternate idea to evolution through natural selection, but it is not a scientific theory in any sense of the word.

Original post by Davelittle
Gravity is just a theory but I don't see you floating around anywhere

Technically speaking gravitation is a law, not a theory. But yes, we know that evolution through natural selection is valid to a similar extent to gravitation (i.e. virtually 100%).
I can't believe people are taking this thread seriously.
I think the issue is that we can objectively say Christian creationism is twaddle. Regardless if the merits of evolution, it has been proven repeatedly that the Earth is more than 6000 years old.
Original post by bertstare
But its theoretical? Ie. it needs to be proven as fact before other explanations can be discredited

Oh come on bertstare take a day off...
If we should keep an open mind when it comes to things that are "just theories" then are you suggesting we teach alternatives to germ theory as well? Evolution is a scientific theory, meaning it has actual scientific evidence to back it up. Creationism does not.
Original post by Le Nombre
I think the issue is that we can objectively say Christian creationism is twaddle. Regardless if the merits of evolution, it has been proven repeatedly that the Earth is more than 6000 years old.

That's not true. Were you around 6000 years ago? No? Then how do you know for sure?

‎"The believer speaks little, but does much.
And the hypocrite talks a lot, but does little.
The believer's speech is wisdom,
his silence is contemplation,
his gaze is pondering,
his actions are righteous.
So if this is your state, you shall perpetually be in worship"

- Fudayl bin Iyyad
gravity is a theory too
It is being taught in schools just as often as it was last year; the only difference is that it can't be taught in science - why? Because it's not science.
[video="youtube;KMAezEgYFeE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMAezEgYFeE[/video]

For any of the inevitable crackpots, that will get attracted to this trolls thread, read up on actual scientific research (that overwhelmingly supports Evolution, Vaccines, Climate change or any of the other scientific subjects the whole ignorant lot of you all seem to think is some weird conspiracy).
Reply 17
Because creation is not science.
Reply 18
Original post by Exon

Neither is evolution, it is a theory
Original post by Exon

Well which word should he have used instead of 'creating'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending