The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nedum Onuoha
The point is you played them this season, when they've been awful.

they have so far, but then so have liverpool, and if we played them tommorow, I would still consider it a side agaisnt top oposition..

I agree with your initial post though, people will look at spurs and think they are weak, and in terrible form (which is true) - but then we have not exactly set things on fire this season..

Only 2 points better off.. lost first CL match, out of the carling cup, and only had 1 convincing performance all season..

The only reason I am confident about tommorow is because its spurs, and usually we find a way to beat them, regardless of form - but against any other decent side, I would not be going in with any confidence at the moment..
So far this season, yes.

If you think so, fair enough. The point is that I do not rate Tottenham as highly as I used to, who are currently 2 points below us after 5 games, having lost two of them. If you disagree with me, go ahead, I don't really care.
Original post by Arkasia
If you think so, fair enough. The point is that I do not rate Tottenham as highly as I used to, who are currently 2 points below us after 5 games, having lost two of them. If you disagree with me, go ahead, I don't really care.

I don't disagree with that, and never said I did. Of course you don't rate them as highly as when they had Bale, Modric, Van Der Vaart etc.

But originally you called them terrible which is an exaggeration as they're not far behind you, said they have a poor defence when they've conceded the same as you and only 5 teams have conceded less, and said there's no reason they would win when it's not that unlikely, although you are favourites.

Also why the aggression
So far this season, yes.

So you'd accept that Chelsea are the best team in Europe at the moment considering we have one of the best points tally's in Europe at the moment?
looking at our league fixtures up to january.. and they are actually really nice..:

Tottenham
Chelsea
Hull
Sunderland
Burnley
Sweansea
United
West Brom
Southampton
Stoke
Newcastle
Liverpool
QPR
West ham

By and large, the big games are quite spaced out, with never more then 2 tough games in a row.. (bolded)

Chelsea next week though is going to be a killer.. as far as I am concerend our biggest game coming up is galatasary this week though.. that has to be 3pts, otherwise our situation in the group may begin to look dire, but get that in the bag, do anderlech home and away, and get 9pts on the board, and things are looking great..

If we can take 3pts off tottenham in the league, and then a solid win in midweek.. a loss at chelsea wont look that bad, especially as its followed by 5 winable games,, where we can get a good confidence building run going.. (hull, anderlech, sunderland, burnley, anderlec)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Shed End
So you'd accept that Chelsea are the best team in Europe at the moment considering we have one of the best points tally's in Europe at the moment?

Barcelona and Valencia have the same points and a better goal difference so why are you the best?
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't disagree with that, and never said I did. Of course you don't rate them as highly as when they had Bale, Modric, Van Der Vaart etc.

But originally you called them terrible which is an exaggeration as they're not far behind you, said they have a poor defence when they've conceded the same as you and only 5 teams have conceded less, and said there's no reason they would win when it's not that unlikely, although you are favourites.

Also why the aggression

They have been terrible this season. Saying that, we have not been much better, but we HAVE been a bit better, thus why we are ahead even with tougher fixtures played so far. Again, they have conceded the same as us, against weaker opposition, therefore relatively they have the worse defence. There is no reason they would win is not the same as saying they cannot win, it is saying that if everything went according to logical likelihood and expectancy, we would win.

No aggression here mate, I am just tired of constantly arguing with duplicate accounts every time someone takes offence at my posts, or just argues for the sake of arguing, and as such I realize you will say whatever you want, because you probably have 3 more backups, and I am just apathetic to you for this reason.
Barcelona and Valencia have the same points and a better goal difference so why are you the best?

Because we're in a far more difficult league.
Original post by The Shed End
Because we're in a far more difficult league.

That's just something we like to say in this country tbh. Is there anything to suggest that? The top 7 or so are better in Spain as shown by results in Europe, and there's no way to compare the other 13.
Original post by fallen_acorns
looking at our league fixtures up to january.. and they are actually really nice..:

By and large, the big games are quite spaced out, with never more then 2 tough games in a row.. (bolded)

Chelsea next week though is going to be a killer.. as far as I am concerend our biggest game coming up is galatasary this week though.. that has to be 3pts, otherwise our situation in the group may begin to look dire, but get that in the bag, do anderlech home and away, and get 9pts on the board, and things are looking great..

If we can take 3pts off tottenham in the league, and then a solid win in midweek.. a loss at chelsea wont look that bad, especially as its followed by 5 winable games,, where we can get a good confidence building run going.. (hull, anderlech, sunderland, burnley, anderlec)

Our record against Chelsea is appalling really, but we'll get a result there sooner or later. It's not out of the question to win there with players like Welbeck, Sanchez, Ramsey who'll have the mentality and work rate for the fight. The problem with Arsenal as always is the lack of pragmatism and ability to play things safe. A draw would be a fine result but no doubt we'll go in looking to win as always and get picked apart.

I wonder if Walcot will be fit enough for at least the bench? Always fancy him to score in these kind of games. Chelsea's defence isn't what it was last year really either.

Would be lovely to get Diaby fit for it as well, he's another player who you can depend on to turn up in big away games and have a right go at Matic physically.

Sanchez Welbeck Walcott
Ozil
Diaby Ramsey

That set up is capable of a result at SB, lots of big game players.

Gala has to be 3 points, I expect it to be textbook.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you counting 15th placed Everton as a hard game and not Dortmund, or 8th placed West Ham who Spurs beat?

Everton are 14th, actually.
Original post by Stylo92

I'm so sorry
Original post by Stylo92

Lol
Original post by Lúcio
Lol

Looking forward to tomorrow Luke? It could either end very well, or very badly for you.
Original post by Zürich
Our record against Chelsea is appalling really, but we'll get a result there sooner or later. It's not out of the question to win there with players like Welbeck, Sanchez, Ramsey who'll have the mentality and work rate for the fight. The problem with Arsenal as always is the lack of pragmatism and ability to play things safe. A draw would be a fine result but no doubt we'll go in looking to win as always and get picked apart.

I wonder if Walcot will be fit enough for at least the bench? Always fancy him to score in these kind of games. Chelsea's defence isn't what it was last year really either.

Would be lovely to get Diaby fit for it as well, he's another player who you can depend on to turn up in big away games and have a right go at Matic physically.

Sanchez Welbeck Walcott
Ozil
Diaby Ramsey

That set up is capable of a result at SB, lots of big game players.

Gala has to be 3 points, I expect it to be textbook.

if we went in with the team you mention above.. I would go in excited, and quitely confident of a win. Hope they all stay fit, (or get fit, for walcott)

+ I agree with gala, confident that wenger will just grind it out, and get the result..
Reply 375
YESSSS THE GAME IS AT 5:30

I start work at 5:30(am) and finish around 1 or 2 so glad I'm not missing it
Tommorow is a test of character, so far we have been poor but if we win...our momentum will be incredible
Original post by fallen_acorns
if we went in with the team you mention above.. I would go in excited, and quitely confident of a win. Hope they all stay fit, (or get fit, for walcott)

+ I agree with gala, confident that wenger will just grind it out, and get the result..

Just realised the Chelsea game is at Stamford Bridge, man that makes the whole thing more daunting. This is what it has come to now. If (most likely when) we get beat I'm just praying for a subtle score line i.e 1-0, 2-1 etc etc.

Massive game this but like you said the fixtures are pretty decent for the run up until Christmas.
Original post by Arkasia
Looking forward to tomorrow Luke? It could either end very well, or very badly for you.

not really.
a loss gives 6 from 18 = 1/3 points total.
a win gives 9 from 18 = 1/2 points total.

a win is obviously good but it still puts us below our aim.
we're looking for an average of 2 points eevery game = 2/3 points total.
so even a win tomorrow wouldn't end things "very well", merely "less unsatisfactory".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Just realised the Chelsea game is at Stamford Bridge, man that makes the whole thing more daunting. This is what it has come to now. If (most likely when) we get beat I'm just praying for a subtle score line i.e 1-0, 2-1 etc etc.

Massive game this but like you said the fixtures are pretty decent for the run up until Christmas.

mm, I mean, the season as a whole I am honestly not that worried for..

at the moment it looks so much easier then last season, no fixture pile-up, no other consistant threats, bar the top2..

We are not playing great, and yet already we sit in 4th..

I honestly do not see any reason we would get bellow 3rd, or 4th at the very lowest, considering how many problems liverpool, united, spurs, and everton are having at the moment..

Sure it wont be the season we all wanted, and we could have had, if we had built on last season - but it will do whats important: maintain the status quo, until arsene leaves, allowing his successor to start with a really good base of CL football (depressing that this is what I am hoping for now)

That said, some fixtures do worry me, like the chelsea game. My heart says we have a chance, but chelsea are brutal these days, and just like at city last week, where they would have weasled to a win if it were not for one of their own.. I can just see them being ruthless this season and crushing most things that come before them..

- on a positive though, win tommorow and we go into their game unbeaten :redface:

Latest