The Student Room Group

Are people that don't/can't drive idiots?

Scroll to see replies

No

In central London it seems pointless to drive for instance, because you're going to pay £10/day just to get in

Though they do make a lot. Driving in to central London and I'm like that's probably around 100 cars gone past. Easy money...

Its cheaper to get a train
Original post by clh_hilary
Environmentalist.

Not that there is anything wrong with environmentalism per sé, but preferring to cycle vs. travel in a sticky car wading through traffic, may have nothing at all to do with environmentalism.
They are just either poor or are environmentalists.

Try driving around in London at 9am. Its fun...

And this was just Chelsea
Original post by felamaslen
Not that there is anything wrong with environmentalism per sé, but preferring to cycle vs. travel in a sticky car wading through traffic, may have nothing at all to do with environmentalism.

Then they are just poor.
Original post by de_monies
No

In central London it seems pointless to drive for instance, because you're going to pay £10/day just to get in

Though they do make a lot. Driving in to central London and I'm like that's probably around 100 cars gone past. Easy money...

Its cheaper to get a train

But on weekends you can drive because there is no congestion charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try driving around in London at 9am. Its fun...

And this was just Chelsea

I'm an enviornmentalist.
Original post by felamaslen

Exactly this. Often it can be cheaper not to drive as well

When I go to places, I try to consider

Cost of fuel + cost of parking vs cost of train. For a lot of places, yeah it might be cheaper to drive to the destination, but try parking

It can also be quicker to go on a train as well

Leeds to London in 2 hours is decent (and that's just an East coast train - not a fancy virgin one)
It is increasingly becoming more expensive in this country to 'commute'. It was the middle class 'Baby Boomer' generation who had dreams of living the suburban life while having a career in the city. It is just too expensive to live that life now.

I believe that public transport in this country is disgusting. It is a crime how terrible it is in some parts of the country. It seems like it is London and Manchester that get all the funding. If the government want a strong economy people need to be able to get around for a reasonable price. The whole 'peak pricing' nonsense is counter productive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by toonervoustotalk
But on weekends you can drive because there is no congestion charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I saw that. Its also free after 6pm.I arrived at 5:55 damn!!!! It was still marginally cheaper than the train though

I'm an enviornmentalist.

That's nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I'm a walker, but mainly because I'm too young

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then they are just poor.

This fellow troll watches from the sidelines and salutes your efforts. Huzzah! :hat2: :biggrin:

de_monies
x

Just to let you know, I am super busy for the next few days and won't be on TSR but I'll reply to your PM as soon as I can - have a great weekend in the meantime! Sorry :smile:
Yeah I saw that. Its also free after 6pm.I arrived at 5:55 damn!!!! It was still marginally cheaper than the train though

That's nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were you I would have parked on a side road or a tesco till 6 o'clock and then gone into central london:wink:

I really want to learn how to drive but there is essentially no point in driving in London as they have reliable buses and tube

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live 2 miles from where I work in Manchester. If I drove in to work it would take upwards of 25-30 minutes, plus the expense and difficulty of finding somewhere to park.

If I cycle it takes 15 minutes and parking is provided for free in my office.

People aren't money poor, they're time poor.
Original post by Schezerade
This fellow troll watches from the sidelines and salutes you. Huzzah! :hat2: :biggrin:

You an environmentalist too? Or you're one of those filthy Americans?
Then they are just poor.

Risible.
Original post by Riku
Let's say they have PTSD, or are blind, or epileptic, or severe anxiety problem which makes it dangerous for them to be on the road. Are they moronic beyond all comprehension?

No? Course they aren't? I don't drive because I cant afford to drop £1800 just on insurance for a crummy 12 year old 1.0 Corsa. Does that make me a Moron? or smart?
You an environmentalist too? Or you're one of those filthy Americans?

I am an American, definitely not an environmentalist. We don't need anti-global warming, Jesus is the way and the Second Coming will happen way before the environment runs out.

Global warming is just a massive conspiracy created by Barack Osama and his cronies to get the left-wingers into power and bring this once great country down.
Exactly this. Often it can be cheaper not to drive as well

Leeds to London in 2 hours is decent (and that's just an East coast train - not a fancy virgin one)

The East Coast Mainline is overpriced and prices off people who live in towns / cities on the line.

Fast transport is all well and good but if it isn't affordable then there's no point. I know advance fares exist, but would you wanna buy one of those 6 weeks in advance for every day you're travelling? It's a system only good for 'day trippers'. Plus there are near to no advance fares in existence in the main hours people travel. Counter productive. Does not attract people on public transport.

Currently a return on the East Coast Mainline from Doncaster to York (return) costs £18.60!!! A 22 minute journey! A ticket from Doncaster to Sheffield on the Crosscountry or Northern Train (39 minute journey) costs £6.20 return!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I am an American, definitely not an environmentalist. We don't need anti-global warming, Jesus is the way and the Second Coming will happen way before the environment runs out.

Global warming is just a massive conspiracy created by Barack Osama and his cronies to get the left-wingers into power and bring this once great country down.

:eek:

With my last breath, I curse Schezerade

:angry:
This fellow troll watches from the sidelines and salutes your efforts. Huzzah! :hat2: :biggrin:

Just to let you know, I am super busy for the next few days and won't be on TSR but I'll reply to your PM as soon as I can - have a great weekend in the meantime! Sorry :smile:

Haha lol. Totally cool!

Original post by toonervoustotalk
If I were you I would have parked on a side road or a tesco till 6 o'clock and then gone into central london:wink:

I really want to learn how to drive but there is essentially no point in driving in London as they have reliable buses and tube

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think about that. I was just like **** **** **** :tongue:

And yeah the tube is pretty reliable tbh

Well you could say its more convenient or it costs less or whatever but in London there's trains every where..

It was still marginally cheaper than getting a train to London (this is with my railcars BTW)

Quick Reply