The Student Room Group

Are people that don't/can't drive idiots?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felamaslen
Risible.

How much are you paying for this comedy?
Original post by clh_hilary
:eek:

With my last breath, I curse Schezerade

:angry:

Don't worry :teehee:. In his infinite love/boundless abundance/generosity, I believe the LORD will send you to hell for all eternity for cursing me.
Original post by datpiff
The East Coast Mainline is overpriced and prices off people who live in towns / cities on the line.

Fast transport is all well and good but if it isn't affordable then there's no point. I know advance fares exist, but would you wanna buy one of those 6 weeks in advance for every day you're travelling? It's a system only good for 'day trippers'. Plus there are near to no advance fares in existence in the main hours people travel. Counter productive. Does not attract people on public transport.

Currently a return on the East Coast Mainline from Doncaster to York (return) costs £18.60!!! A 22 minute journey!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to use east coast all the time between Leeds and manchestef

I believe it was cross country to Manchester from my uni

There was no cost difference iirc - at least not one that I saw any way!

For me, it normally worked out the same buying the tickets on the day , and by advance booking - unless booking to London

I dunno why. I've never really had any benefit aside from if I knew the exact time I should in theory be able to get a seat (but I'd have to get an exact train)
Original post by de_monies
Haha lol. Totally cool!

I didn't think about that. I was just like **** **** **** :tongue:

And yeah the tube is pretty reliable tbh

Well you could say its more convenient or it costs less or whatever but in London there's trains every where..

It was still marginally cheaper than getting a train to London (this is with my railcars BTW)

Wow
I swear railcards are supposed to be significantly cheaper as they give discounts on trains.

Every little helps:tongue:. (Money wise)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to use east coast all the time between Leeds and manchestef

I believe it was cross country to Manchester from my uni

There was no cost difference iirc - at least not one that I saw any way!

For me, it normally worked out the same buying the tickets on the day , and by advance booking - unless booking to London

I dunno why. I've never really had any benefit aside from if I knew the exact time I should in theory be able to get a seat (but I'd have to get an exact train)

The line between Leeds and Manchester is the Transpennine route and it's mainly First who run trains on this route (sardine tins). It's the route that goes across the Pennines via Huddersfield. I (have to) travel on it all the time.

The East Coast Mainline goes from: London to Leeds, or London to Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
What?? Of course not? I'm not driving until next year because I don't need a car until then and I'll have more time.
How much are you paying for this comedy?

What comedy?
Original post by Schezerade
Don't worry :teehee:. In his infinite love/boundless abundance/generosity, I believe the LORD will send you to hell for all eternity for cursing me.

I'm not afraid of your LORD for I have The GOD on my side!
Assalamualikum. Peace be with y'all.

Only the clever maths geniuses cycle. Alhamdulillah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What comedy?

Just pay me already.
If you live in the inner city in any big city in the UK (such Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, etc) I dint see why you'd need a car. In most cities there are nightbuses too. Parking in most cities is expensive too.

if you live in suburbia, an ex-industrial town in the middle of nowhere or in a rural village things are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Just pay me already.

Assalamualaikum.

Alhamdulillah, i can tell that you are a cyclist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Wow
I swear railcards are supposed to be significantly cheaper as they give discounts on trains.

Every little helps:tongue:. (Money wise)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are meant to be

But...hybrid car :tongue:

I was like "Well I'm taking my car" I think I may have taken the train because it wasonly marginay more expensive and it was quicker but there weren't any trains running up north when I wanted to go back so...

Original post by datpiff
The line between Leeds and Manchester is the Transpennine route and it's mainly First who run trains on this route (sardine tins). It's the route that goes across the Pennines via Huddersfield. I (have to) travel on it all the time.

The East Coast Mainline goes from: London to Leeds, or London to Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps I've convinced myself it was East coast - to think i was actually on a nice train :tongue:
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Assalamualaikum.

Alhamdulillah, i can tell that you are a cyclist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably American.
They are meant to be

I was like "Well I'm taking my car" I think I may have taken the train because it wasonly marginay more expensive and it was quicker but there weren't any trains running up north when I wanted to go back so...

Perhaps I've convinced myself it was East coast - to think i was actually on a nice train :tongue:

OK cool:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
If you live in the inner city in any big city in the UK (such Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, etc) I dint see why you'd need a car. In most cities there are nightbuses too. Parking in most cities is expensive too.

if you live in suburbia, an ex-industrial town in the middle of nowhere or in a rural village things are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not just expensive but try getting a parking space in Leeds. Any other major city, I've not had an issue but Leeds's system means a lot of it is one way and yeah you try parking - if for example a parking space becomes free you'd have to go all the way around as opposed to just making a right turn here or there..

When I went to Glasgow I paid someone to let me rent their space. That was pretty good value - £6.50/day
They are meant to be

Nice when they aren't rammed. The seats are not very comfy either. IMO the trains First have weren't fit for long distance travelling (Manchester Airport to Newcastle/Glasgow).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by datpiff
It is increasingly becoming more expensive in this country to 'commute'. It was the middle class 'Baby Boomer' generation who had dreams of living the suburban life while having a career in the city. It is just too expensive to live that life now.

I believe that public transport in this country is disgusting. It is a crime how terrible it is in some parts of the country. It seems like it is London and Manchester that get all the funding. If the government want a strong economy people need to be able to get around for a reasonable price. The whole 'peak pricing' nonsense is counter productive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is why I like Nottingham: it does have the best transport system in Europe.
Not just expensive but try getting a parking space in Leeds. Any other major city, I've not had an issue but Leeds's system means a lot of it is one way and yeah you try parking - if for example a parking space becomes free you'd have to go all the way around as opposed to just making a right turn here or there..

Leeds is incredibly poor when it comes to public transport. One of the biggest cities without a mass transit system. Public transport in Yorkshire in general is dire compared to Greater Manchester and expensive too. More investment is needed to connect Yorkshire and the North East.

It's like the government think the North is just Manchester and nowhere else matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest