The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
7 points from 6 games.

what an absolute joke.

On top of that did you know Balo has only scored 1 in hist last 19 premier league matches. He really should've scored that goal.
This is how Chelsea fans felt last week....
Ballotelli not clinical enough.
Nonetheless that strike deserved all 3 points.
Original post by samir12
We played too deep and let Everton pressure us, we always do that when we have a narrow lead. Last season we did that too and almost lost 2 points at times, got away with it as SaS were banging goals.

We lost to a stunner, no fault on the defence at all.

Fault on Balo and Markovic for not scoring their chances.
People need to calm down, its obviously dissappointing but we're bedding in a lot of players, have had a very tough start and have got a few easy games coming up now.
Original post by fallen_acorns
liverpool should take the positives from this game.. it may feel gutting, but on the bright side:

Gerrad was better
Defense was much better..

2 big positives, and when sturridge comes back, I am a bit more nervous about what you lot can do now..

however, the result as a whole was not what you guys needed... 7pts from 6 games is awful, and you guys know that.. (not that 9, would have been good.. but better)

Everton should be delighted.. did not deserve a point, but wow.. what a goal

We have had a very slow and crap start to our season but yeah now we are getting into our stride. Our performance was very good today especially considering our last few games. Our next 5 fixtures in the PL are all winnable- West Brom, QPR, Hull, Swansea and Newcastle. If we win those matches we can make up some lost ground on the top 4 places, anything less than a win will not be acceptable.

We really need to take our chances now, with Sturridge back our attack will be more clinical and I'm hopeful Balo will form a good partnership with Sturridge. Our new boys are also settling in well and their chemistry with the team should improve as the season goes on. I'm really excited about Lallana he's looked good today and in our last game, very light on his feet and does make good runs too.
Original post by samir12
We played too deep and let Everton pressure us, we always do that when we have a narrow lead. Last season we did that too and almost lost 2 points at times, got away with it as SaS were banging goals.

i think it's a little harsh to criticise any players except for markovic and balotelli.
everybody else did their job and did it well.

our defence was solid, our buold up play was decent but balotelli just didn't do what we pay him to - that's why we drew.
near the end we sat back a little but that shouldn't be a negative - the only reason they scored was because of a wonder goal, they weren't getting through otherwise.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Could be worse

you guys gonna win 5-0 today just to top it all off.
Atleast they didn't score from a set piece, gives me hope for our defence that it took a wonder goal for them to concede.
(edited 9 years ago)
Balotelli needs to start performing, hopefully Sturridge is back though
Original post by Quickmedicalhelp
but yer as others as said, take the positives, there's loads of them.

Really, really annoying ffs

We defended a bit better and lallana looked half decent, what else is there? Lack of prowess in front of goal, creativity etc was once again missing. Bit more intensity then we've seen recently but it's a derby match, that's a given.

So ****ing disappointed.
Original post by CB91
People need to calm down, its obviously dissappointing but we're bedding in a lot of players, have had a very tough start and have got a few easy games coming up now.

when you played your first decent game in ages and then get robbed like that, it's hard to take anything good from the game.

makes you a little unresponsive to other fans telling you to "look at the positives" while they're trying to hide their laughter from the most unlucky of occurrences.
Original post by Deshi
We defended a bit better and lallana looked half decent, what else is there? Lack of prowess in front of goal, creativity etc was once again missing. Bit more intensity then we've seen recently but it's a derby match, that's a given.

So ****ing disappointed.

Youre always beyond raging after every non-win. Chill out bro.
Balotelli was really poor today. That's okay, it happens, but what annoys me about him is his selfishness and clear desire for attention. Shooting pointlessly outside the box and throwing his arms up in the air whenever something didn't go his way. Really don't like that.
Original post by CB91

worrying thing for me, is that its not the tough games that have been the problem..

Spurs you were great, city you were average, and everton you were good just unlucky..

Remind me a bit of chelsea last year, doing ok in bigger games, but then fluffing it against weaker sides..

Need to change that over the next few fixtures:

West brom, QPR, Hull, Swansea, Newcastle..

All before you play chelsea..

Should be atleast 13pts from 15, for me.. if you guys want to get back in the race for top4... with only swansea being passable as anything less then a win..

That would then be 20pts from 33, which is more like it for CL qualification
Take Sterling and Sturridge out of this side and Liverpool look average.
Original post by Deshi

So ****ing disappointed.

Fullbacks were excellent, defence in general weren't tested too heavily but they were excellent. Henderson was immense, everywhere, great passing all game. Interplay going forwards was much improved. Gerrard had a good game. Lallana looks like a Liverpool player. Sterling's quality is incredible and he set up both Balo and Markovic's sitters.

Only two players in our team had a poor game, and even then, one of them was good for the most part (Balo). Both are new signings, and the other is barely out of his teens and playing in a new country.

If that had finished 1-0 I'd have been very satisfied and very optimistic. As it is, I'm just very optimistic. Balo will start putting the tap ins away at some point, and if he doesn't, we've got Sturridge to return and the general improvement in cohesion across the team will come as they play together more.
Original post by cleveradam
Take Sterling and Sturridge out of this side and Liverpool look average.

take the best players out of any side and they look average...
One thing that concerns me is that sometimes when we are attacking the movement up front is really static. Last year there were players darting about, making runs and being available but now there's hardly anyone making runs. Then we end up passing the ball back to the defence or sideways.

Balotelli really needs to learn to make those runs, whenever he gets the ball we lose momentum since he dawdles on it. But that lack of movement up front should improve when Sturridge is back into the team.
Original post by sr90
Indeed. Most people on this forum probably hadn't even started school the last time Everton won at Anfield.
Liverpool will win comfortably, quote me on that.

1 point since the internationals. Only had one comfortable result and that was v Spurs. 7 in 6. That's midtable form. Can't see us finishing above 6th. Last season was a one season wonder.

Some fans on here even said that these are all easy games. No wins from this so far.
Original post by The.Joker
One thing that concerns me is that sometimes when we are attacking the movement up front is really static. Last year there were players darting about, making runs and being available but now there's hardly anyone making runs. Then we end up passing the ball back to the defence or sideways.

Balotelli really needs to learn to make those runs, whenever he gets the ball we lose momentum since he dawdles on it. But that lack of movement up front should improve when Sturridge is back into the team.

he isn't doing what a striker needs to do in our team.
he isn't adapting to our style.

give him a few more chances. if he doesn't improve stick him on the bloody bench and just play single striker with sturridge.
as you can see, i'm fuming about just how wasteful he was today.
many positives from the game particularly defensively but unless united lose i'm not gonna talk positive anyway.
What is actually worrying though is that Balo has had about 5 or 6 sitters for us already and he's missed them all.

Never mind the other gaps in his striking play (and I mean striking play, not his build up play or work rate which have been fine), but we can't thrive with a striker just missing sitters all the time. He missed one today, missed one against Ludo, missed three against Spurs, and I tried to erase the Villa and Wham games from my mind but I think there was one in there too.

It's not good enough.

Quick Reply

Latest