The Student Room Group

Is a person not driving/being unable to drive a turn-off for you?

I worded the last question terribly :redface: oh look there is the annoying self-deprecating smiley I made a thread about again...

In fairness that question for the last thread was also on my mind (although still needs rewording)

Would you think less of a guy/girl who, for various reasons, hadn't started driving lessons yet? I see a lot of people seem to think that passing your driving test, along with losing your virginity, is a necessary life milestone for 18-21 year olds to achieve. :curious:

Scroll to see replies

If a man can't drive then he seems less masculine to me for some reason.

So yeah, it is a turn off.
i've spoken about this with a lot of girls and they all say that they would NEVER consider a non-driver as a potential partner. a few of them said such men were sub-human and should be castrated so as not to pass on their defective genes.
Reply 3
Original post by white boy
i've spoken about this with a lot of girls and they all say that they would NEVER consider a non-driver as a potential partner. a few of them said such men were sub-human and should be castrated so as not to pass on their defective genes.[/QUOTE]

3/10, I expected better of you
Reply 4
It might be an inconvenience at times since public transport isn't always reliable and knowing how to drive is handy but it certainly wouldn't be a turn off in the slightest if they couldn't drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Riku
I worded the last question terribly :redface: oh look there is the annoying self-deprecating smiley I made a thread about again...

In fairness that question for the last thread was also on my mind (although still needs rewording)

Would you think less of a guy/girl who, for various reasons, hadn't started driving lessons yet? I see a lot of people seem to think that passing your driving test, along with losing your virginity, is a necessary life milestone for 18-21 year olds to achieve. :curious:

Are you even a student? How old are you? What do you do?
If he didn't own a car due to not needing one/not being able to afford it or whatever I wouldn't care, I'm in the same situation myself. But when someone my age has never made any attempt to have driving lessons or anything I would be interested to know why as I think it's quite unusual.
Would not be able to get it up if she couldn't do a bay park
Reply 8
Original post by Miss Posh
Are you even a student? How old are you? What do you do?

I'm 21 going on 22, I've recently graduated; since I'm currently unemployed and recovering from mental health problems/a learning disability I have discussed ad nauseam to TSR, I am seeking voluntary work such as in museums and primary schools in the meantime. As part of those problems (Dyspraxia and anxiety), as well as due to lack of funding, I'm postponing driving lessons for the foreseeable future.

I have no intention of dating at present but I was curious as to how people would respond. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by PointeShoes-x
If he didn't own a car due to not needing one/not being able to afford it or whatever I wouldn't care, I'm in the same situation myself. But when someone my age has never made any attempt to have driving lessons or anything I would be interested to know why as I think it's quite unusual.

understandable reservation, how old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Riku
I'm 21 going on 22, I've recently graduated; since I'm currently unemployed and recovering from mental health problems/a learning disability I have discussed ad nauseam to TSR, I am seeking voluntary work such as in museums and primary schools in the meantime. As part of those problems (Dyspraxia and anxiety), as well as due to lack of funding, I'm postponing driving lessons for the foreseeable future.

I have no intention of dating at present but I was curious as to how people would respond. :smile:

Why didn't you get a job straight after Uni, as most people do?
Original post by Da Di Doo
If a man can't drive then he seems less masculine to me for some reason.

So yeah, it is a turn off.
you mean, you are turned on by guys who have cars since they have more money?

cliffs:
women love money
sloots gonna sloot
Original post by Veracity80
you mean, you are turned on by guys who have cars since they have more money?

cliffs:
women love money
sloots gonna sloot

I know poor people with cars.

Looks > Personality > Wealth
Original post by Da Di Doo
I know poor people with cars.

Looks > Personality > Wealth

more like

looks = wealth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> personality

lol

dont even pretend like you care about personality
Reply 14
Original post by Miss Posh
Why didn't you get a job straight after Uni, as most people do?

because

a) I did an Arts degree with mostly transferrable skills rather than a predetermined career path post-graduation

b) one does not just 'get a job' in the current economic climate :tongue: I hope that experience of volunteering will help me decide my chosen career path, enhance my skills. In the meantime I have a part-time retail job, however for whatever reason my manager refuses to trust me with full-time hours where she does the other employees so this is not a financially viable option in the long-term. I believe this is in fact stigma/discrimination swept in red tape, but have no empirical evidence to verify this, only my suspicions.

c) It has been mutually decided between myself, my family and my GP that it would be more useful for me to apply for ESA rather than JSA, which would additionally come with the aid of the local CMHT in job hunting (where JSA failed as our local disability advisor refused to even see me). However it comes at the expense of being unable to work full-time for the next few months. It's frustrating but necessary.

I'd rather not go into any more personal details and I've already seen your opinion on people such as myself...
Depends on how old they are. If they're my age then whatever, there's still time. If they're older then it's a problem. Generally, I prefer drivers to non-drivers because you have more freedom when you have a car.

Current boyfriend is in his 30s and if he couldn't drive I'd be worried. This is probably the best relationship I've ever had because he can drive and we can go places and do things I couldn't do in past relationships. Like, for my birthday I'm hoping he'll take me to Southend because they're doing fireworks there on that weekend. I've AWAYS wanted to go to the beach for my birthday but my family always found reasons against it and my friends can't drive so it could never happen. Now I have this guy I can finally do this stuff. It's just more fun. I hate being limited to London which is what happened with past boyfriends but this one likes to take me out for the day to different parts of the country so it's really cool.
Original post by Vixen47
Depends on how old they are. If they're my age then whatever, there's still time. If they're older then it's a problem. Generally, I prefer drivers to non-drivers because you have more freedom when you have a car.

Current boyfriend is in his 30s and if he couldn't drive I'd be worried. This is probably the best relationship I've ever had because he can drive and we can go places and do things I couldn't do in past relationships. Like, for my birthday I'm hoping he'll take me to Southend because they're doing fireworks there on that weekend. I've AWAYS wanted to go to the beach for my birthday but my family always found reasons against it and my friends can't drive so it could never happen. Now I have this guy I can finally do this stuff. It's just more fun. I hate being limited to London which is what happened with past boyfriends but this one likes to take me out for the day to different parts of the country so it's really cool.

wtf..
Original post by Riku

No not at all. I don't plan on learning to drive til after Uni anyway.. And for people that live in a city there isn't really much need to learn to drive at all. My uncle lives mid London and gets to work and about by tube and public transport - with London traffic by car it would take forver...
Nah, when I was 17 I thought learning to drive was the most important thing ever and I put so much pressure on myself to pass because where I lived there was no decent public transport. Now I live in a city there's absolutely no need for me to drive, the only thing I have to show for it is a nice pink driving license when I go on nights out.

Short answer: no one cares and if they do they're probably immature or 17. And do you really care what they think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Depends where you live. If you live somewhere where public transport is not so good then passing your driving test is very useful but in places such as London with good public transport it isn't required.

Quick Reply

Latest