KingShylo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have nearly completed my degree in graphic design, and I have started to look into the different career paths opposed to just "graphic designer" and one that stood out to me was design engineering.

Now, I have no experience in engineering or any qualifications in the subject but I am a strong problem solver, computer literate and visual creative thinker.

If I did some basic courses in mechanical properties and had sufficient knowledge of CAD design and a portfolio to back it up, do you think I could have a career in design engineering?

As I know people that have a back ground in mechanics but no visual design skills or qualifications, but they have been taken on as junior design engineers.

Many Thanks
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingShylo)
I have nearly completed my degree in graphic design, and I have started to look into the different career paths opposed to just "graphic designer" and one that stood out to me was design engineering.

Now, I have no experience in engineering or any qualifications in the subject but I am a strong problem solver, computer literate and visual creative thinker.

If I did some basic courses in mechanical properties and had sufficient knowledge of CAD design and a portfolio to back it up, do you think I could have a career in design engineering?

As I know people that have a back ground in mechanics but no visual design skills or qualifications, but they have been taken on as junior design engineers.

Many Thanks
Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university!
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingShylo)

Many Thanks
Nearly every engineer learns CAD and while some jobs, will only require you to the same work on and on again, not requring more from you, than to know how to work with CAD, the problem is, you probably won't be able to tell, wether you design anything which will work in real life. So any slightly advanced tasks will be undoable for you. You would need knowledge about manufacturing processes, materials, etc. When you gain those, yeah, maybe you get a chance, because experience is more important, but to getting that experience without a degree, will be extremely difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (523)
59.98%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.05%
No- I want it (246)
28.21%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.77%

Watched Threads