The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
What would you do when one of your students is isolated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the student is internally excluded then I send work down to the isolation room for them to complete so that they do not fall behind the rest of the class.

Original post by Ikidyounot.
Actually girls/women do have synchronised periods, if they are friends, or in the same place for long periods of time ie living together, workplace, school

Evidence?
Original post by Autistic Merit
(...)
I don't get what you're saying.
(...)

Do you believe students and teachers are able to influence the education system by striking against certain frame conditions (too little liberties for things out of school for instance)?

Do you think that students and teachers should have a say in education system anyway?
Pay scales are here:

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

I already answered this on the previous page.

I don't get what you're saying.

Obviously I always seat boy-girl boy-girl whenever possible but there are no romantic intentions behind this.

Regarding those pay scales... how do they work? I know the bottom one is nqt, then does it go up a grade each year until you're on the standard teaching salary?

Do you feel you get paid enough? I'm on my pgce now and I think it's ridiculous how much teachers do for their pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kallisto
Do you believe students and teachers are able to influence the education system by striking against certain frame conditions (too little liberties for things out of school for instance)?

Do you think that students and teachers should have a say in education system anyway?

Strikes have barely any effect, so no.

Teachers should have more of a say but students less so. They already have student councils within schools and that's enough for me.
Original post by Airfairy
Regarding those pay scales... how do they work? I know the bottom one is nqt, then does it go up a grade each year until you're on the standard teaching salary?

Do you feel you get paid enough? I'm on my pgce now and I think it's ridiculous how much teachers do for their pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Teachers used to go up the pay scales automatically each year but now teachers have to meet targets to go up the pay scales which can be very difficult to meet (e.g. a maths class needs to get at least 60% A*-C).
If the student is internally excluded then I send work down to the isolation room for them to complete so that they do not fall behind the rest of the class.

Oh I meant isolated as in when a student doesn't have friend etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had this question a few times in here.

Teachers are much more likely to gossip about other teachers than students. We generally couldn't care less which student is going out with which but when a teacher is absent for a long time or are seen flirting with another teacher then rumours can spread like wildfire.

In answer to your 2nd question, no we don't. We spend 5 hours a day with students we would rather talk about other things in the staff room. Honestly, the most popular conversations in the staff room are just normal things like X Factor, Big Brother, celeb gossip, the female staff talk about which men they find hot etc.

With my parents.

Yes. :angry:

So when you planning on moving out with your gf/bf? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Oh I meant isolated as in when a student doesn't have friend etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I don't tend to see students during social times so wouldn't be able to tell. I guess I would make the relevant members of staff aware that that student is struggling with friendships as I'm only a maths teacher so there's not much I could do.
Original post by lozasaurus99
So when you planning on moving out with your gf/bf? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know I'm single. :angry:
Strikes have barely any effect, so no.

Teachers should have more of a say but students less so. They already have student councils within schools and that's enough for me.

So what do you think has a great effect?

Don't you think that students should make good suggestions at least, if they exist?
Teachers used to go up the pay scales automatically each year but now teachers have to meet targets to go up the pay scales which can be very difficult to meet (e.g. a maths class needs to get at least 60% A*-C).

Oh right. I totally didn't realise that. So it's possible to get stuck on an nqt salary if your results aren't very good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are any of your students on here?
You know I'm single. :angry:

Would you date a teenager ?..like say 18/19? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's true. Algebra, in particular, is all about writing as little as possible on the paper.

I doubt any of my students are stupid enough to actually believe that story.

Have you ever had the urge to slap/punch a student?
Does it matter if a prospective teacher went to Teeside or Nottingham? Do the students from the better universities find it easier to get jobs at the best schools?
Original post by Kallisto
So what do you think has a great effect?

Don't you think that students should make good suggestions at least, if they exist?

Good suggestions, yes. They just shouldn't be given too much power.

Original post by Airfairy
Oh right. I totally didn't realise that. So it's possible to get stuck on an nqt salary if your results aren't very good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that's absolutely possible. :frown:
Original post by chocolatesauce
Are any of your students on here?

I hope not!

Original post by lozasaurus99
Would you date a teenager ?..like say 18/19? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The youngest I would date would be 21.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Have you ever had the urge to slap/punch a student?

Yes but thankfully I've not followed through with it yet.

Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Does it matter if a prospective teacher went to Teeside or Nottingham? Do the students from the better universities find it easier to get jobs at the best schools?

Those unis are fine tbh. I don't think it makes that much difference which uni you go to.
I hope not!

The youngest I would date would be 21.

Yes but thankfully I've not followed through with it yet.

Those unis are fine tbh. I don't think it makes that much difference which uni you go to.

What if you want to work at a private school? I went to Nottingham, and now UCL for a masters. I would only ever work at a top school.
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
What if you want to work at a private school? I went to Nottingham, and now UCL for a masters. I would only ever work at a top school.

I'm not sure really since I neither work for a top nor private school.
I'm not sure really since I neither work for a top nor private school.

I'm not elitist, nor privileged. I had to work very hard and deal with tough times to get where I am, so I want the best at all times.

Latest