The Student Room Group

Walk around with my passport?

Need a little help here. I finally got into UK yesterday, and this is my first time in a country where I needed a visa to travel to. So, I don't know how this works. Do I need to carry my passport around to show that I'm here legally? I mean in case I got stopped by the police or something. I dunno :confused:

Also, I need to get a laptop ASAP. I don't know where I can get a brand new with a price or a student discount or something. Suggestions?

I'm at Reading.

Original post by ClosetGenius
Need a little help here. I finally got into UK yesterday, and this is my first time in a country where I needed a visa to travel to. So, I don't know how this works. Do I need to carry my passport around to show that I'm here legally? I mean in case I got stopped by the police or something. I dunno :confused:

Also, I need to get a laptop ASAP. I don't know where I can get a brand new with a price or a student discount or something. Suggestions?

I'm at Reading.

You do not need to carry your passport around with you.

You will not be asked to produce it by the police unless they find you somewhere very odd like the kitchen of an Indian restaurant or in a field picking potatoes.

However if you are normal student age, you will be expected to produce ID to buy alcohol or cigarettes or to be admitted to a club (and in the evening some pubs) where alcohol is served whether you intend to drink alcohol or not. Although there are other forms of ID, a passport or UK driving licence is the simplest and best ID.
Reply 3
Do I need to carry my passport around to show that I'm here legally? I mean in case I got stopped by the police or something.

No. You do not need to carry any form of identification in the UK.

Should you get stopped by the Police, they may moan at you saying you should - but that is only for their convenience.

Some people say "But if you have an accident, how will anyone know how you are?" Who cares? You'll get treatment anyway.

These are two of the UK's greatest freedoms. We do not appreciate them as much as we should.

Of course, if you want to buy anything on credit or sign a contract or get a job then you will usually need to prove who you are.
Edit: Oh yeah, buying alcohol.
Edit: Oh yeah, buying cigarettes.
Edit: Oh yeah, buying glue.
Edit: Oh yeah, buying a knife.
Edit: Oh yeah, getting into drinking establishments.
Edit: Forget the rubbish I wrote about freedom. It's almost all been eroded away this past 20 years anyway.

Ask family to buy you one as a gift between them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nulli tertius
You do not need to carry your passport around with you.

You will not be asked to produce it by the police unless they find you somewhere very odd like the kitchen of an Indian restaurant or in a field picking potatoes.

However if you are normal student age, you will be expected to produce ID to buy alcohol or cigarettes or to be admitted to a club (and in the evening some pubs) where alcohol is served whether you intend to drink alcohol or not. Although there are other forms of ID, a passport or UK driving licence is the simplest and best ID.

Lol. Thanks. That helped.
Sorry, if I may ask, how do I apply for a driving licence? Link to check out the requirements, if possible please. Thanks.
Sorry, if I may ask, how do I apply for a driving licence? Link to check out the requirements, if possible please. Thanks.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence
Reply 6
Original post by Edminzodo

Yeah, that crossed my mind. Will do...as a fail safe. Thanks
Reply 7

Link is here: driving licence apply

I think you're going to struggle as a student.
Reply 8
Original post by Simes

Ask family to buy you one as a gift between them.

Yea, that would be convenient. But "family" is really far away. And I wouldn't want to bother them about that anyway.

I can afford it. They made sure of that.
Reply 9
Original post by Simes
Link is here: driving licence apply

I think you're going to struggle as a student.

Oh, I see. Still, thanks for the link.
In the United Kingdom, you are not required to carry your papers with you - if any issue arises with the police, they can just run your details to verify your status.

The UK does however run a tight ship on the sale of tobacco, alcohol and air weapons. Many places that sell alcohol and cigarettes run a Challenge 21 or Challenge 25 scheme, in which if you appear under 21 or 25, they will ask for proof of age - either a passport, driving license or PASS (Proof of Age Standards Scheme) card. They will not accept student ID cards, and many places will turn down foreign driving licenses as well. I suggest you apply for a CitizenCard, ValidateUK or similar ID Card to buy alcohol, cigarettes and get bar access (however apparently there is a new PASS design now, so check the card design before you apply).

If you already have a driving license from your home country, you may be able to "convert" it, which means you'll be given a UK driving license without the need for tests.

You may find that you get discounts on laptops if you join the NUS and get the relevant card, and Lenovo runs an educational programme.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
In the United Kingdom, you are not required to carry your papers with you - if any issue arises with the police, they can just run your details to verify your status.

The UK does however run a tight ship on the sale of tobacco, alcohol and air weapons. Many places that sell alcohol and cigarettes run a Challenge 21 or Challenge 25 scheme, in which if you appear under 21 or 25, they will ask for proof of age - either a passport, driving license or PASS (Proof of Age Standards Scheme) card. They will not accept student ID cards, and many places will turn down foreign driving licenses as well. I suggest you apply for a CitizenCard, ValidateUK or similar ID Card to buy alcohol, cigarettes and get bar access (however apparently there is a new PASS design now, so check the card design before you apply).

If you already have a driving license from your home country, you may be able to "convert" it, which means you'll be given a UK driving license without the need for tests.

You may find that you get discounts on laptops if you join the NUS and get the relevant card, and Lenovo runs an educational programme.

Thank you. Very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending