The Student Room Group

Optical Isomer help , Past Paper question

Hi, Im stuck on question 1biii, on the chemistry A OCR specimen paper, theres a compound and you have to label the parts which is responsible for the EZ isomer but not sure why the other two are optical isomers.

Are optical isomers any organic molecule with a chiral carbon compound attached to 4 different atoms.
-----------------------------------------------------------------CH2
Does this mean for exam would-----------------OHC - C - H
------------------------------------------------------------------Ch2COOCH3

be classed as a
optical isomer or is it only if its attached to 4 different atoms and not groups.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by haseebi82
Hi, Im stuck on question 1biii, on the chemistry A OCR specimen paper, theres a compound and you have to label the parts which is responsible for the EZ isomer but not sure why the other two are optical isomers.

Are optical isomers any organic molecule with a chiral carbon compound attached to 4 different atoms.
-----------------------------------------------------------------CH2
Does this mean for exam would-----------------OHC - C - H
------------------------------------------------------------------Ch2COOCH3

be classed as a
optical isomer or is it only if its attached to 4 different atoms and not groups.
Moved to Chemistry section :smile:
Optical isomers are compounds which are mirror images of each other, so are non-superimposable. Like, no matter how you rotate the compound, they would never be exactly the same as the other.
This feature does come from having a chiral carbon. A chiral carbon is bonded to four different groups.
So, if a carbon atom is bonded to a hydrogen, a hydroxy, a methyl and an ethyl group, it would be chiral for example.

Oh, and double bonds would make that carbon not chiral.

I don't really get the question in the past paper that you have, so leaving that for someone else to answer, but I hope this clarifies chirality and optical isomers for you.
Reply 3
I found the question you are talking about - the carbon to carbon double bond towards the top right of the molecule can give rise to E-Z stereoisomerism and the carbon atom immediately to the right of the carbonyl group is chiral so optical isomerism can occur there

Quick Reply

Latest