The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
Not even.

I believe we will win the title, but it would be an amazing achievement for us to win the title with very clear weaknesses in our squad, such as at RW and our backup CMs are Ramires and Mikel. An injury to Fabregas and we're struggling in that CM position badly.

It's now trolling to state facts. Lets all chat some crap because it means we are no longer making inflammatory comments. :yy:

You may have weaknesses, most teams do (unless you're 2011 Barca)

- Liverpool and United have bad defence.
- Arsenal have a midfield balance problem, weak defensive depth and IMO, still lack a goalscorer
- City have a weak mentality and I really don't rate Joe Hart

All you have to worry about is keeping Costa and Fabregas fit, you haven't even got to worry about that too much. You have an array of attacking talent (Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Remy, Schurlle, Costa) as well as good midfield depth (Ramires, Matic, Mikel, Fabregas). Your defense is solid and you have two world class GKs.

If you don't win the league from here, you've ****ed up. If you win the league, you've achieved what so many have predicted, it would be an achievment, like winning any title is, but amazing, nah.

Amazing is winning a title by 11 points with Cleverley in central midfield (United bias of course)
I just saw good midfield with Ramires and Mikel being put in there and loled. They're decent backups at best and should be nowhere near the first team when the likes of Mario Gotze, Javi Martinez, Thiago and Schweinsteigger last season were rotating for games at Bayern last season.

Also City's mentality is a weakness, however you have not actually pointed out an actual weakness in the squad.

Would also argue that 2011 barca had a clear weakness in height, second they face a team capable of bus parking with a high work rate in the midfield(Chelsea, Inter and Bayern) they got shown up without having any ideas. Bayern 2013 had no weaknesses whatsoever though. pace, power, work rate and technique is pretty much unbeatable.

Also United winning the title in 12/13 is an amazing achievement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zKlown
You may have weaknesses, most teams do (unless you're 2011 Barca)

- Liverpool and United have bad defence.
- Arsenal have a midfield balance problem, weak defensive depth and IMO, still lack a goalscorer
- City have a weak mentality and I really don't rate Joe Hart

All you have to worry about is keeping Costa and Fabregas fit, you haven't even got to worry about that too much. You have an array of attacking talent (Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Remy, Schurlle, Costa) as well as good midfield depth (Ramires, Matic, Mikel, Fabregas). Your defense is solid and you have two world class GKs.

If you don't win the league from here, you've ****ed up. If you win the league, you've achieved what so many have predicted, it would be an achievment, like winning any title is, but amazing, nah.

Amazing is winning a title by 11 points with Cleverley in central midfield (United bias of course)

There is no weakness in that City squad, once Aguero is injured, they have Dzeko and Jovetic to cover him. Both are capable of scoring 20+ goals a season. They have Silva, Nasri, Yaya, Fernando, Fernandinho, Milner, Navas as well as Lampard all fighting for those 4 positions behind the 2 strikers, two players fighting for every position. Milner is also versatile, so he can play in CM as well. They have 4 full-backs, again, two players fighting for one position. Then they have 4 CB's, again 2 players fighting for one position. It's incredible, that's what you call strength in depth.

Ramires and Mikel as CM back-ups to Fabregas and Matic is nowhere near as good as having players like Milner and Fernandinho as back-ups.

The truth is, Man City have ****ed up their start to the PL. If you match squad by squad, Man City's squad is better and stronger than Chelsea's clearly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Who remembers this:

''He's a special player, but he's getting clear here....it's thierry henrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy''

''the gooner galactico''

Happy times, very happy.

'
(edited 9 years ago)
you tell them Anhar.

People are overrating the actual talent in Chelsea's squad, first 11 sure we're good but there are clear weaknesses in the 11 and in the squad. City now with Fernando and Mangala have plugged their weaknesses.
Original post by Zürich
Who remembers this:

''He's a special player, but he's getting clear here....it's thierry henrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy''

''the gooner galactico''

Happy times, very happy.

'

Good old Bernabau
Reply 606
Original post by Quickmedicalhelp
Raheem Sterling

He is a very talented player for sure, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about mentality / character in conjunction with talent, rather than just talent. Maybe Raheem has "it", not sure yet, I guess we will see.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by llys
He is a very talented player for sure, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about character in conjunction with talent, rather than just talent. Maybe Raheem has "it", not sure yet, I guess we will see.

I knew exactly what you were talking about. Fight, desire, determination to win, big game performances, standing up to be counted, influence on the pitch.
Reply 608
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1411912771.781368.jpg

This picture just shows how much of a 'nearly' team we are. We have talent, there's no doubt about that, form is a bit ****ed for now but forms just a temporary issue. Literally a few good signings away from being a top team. I just don't understand why.. *sigh*
Original post by llys
He is a very talented player for sure, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about mentality / character in conjunction with talent, rather than just talent. Maybe Raheem has "it", not sure yet, I guess we will see.

Sturridge getting so many winners and equalisers for Liverpool since joining, even more than Suarez last season.
Reply 610
Original post by SHOO

This picture just shows how much of a 'nearly' team we are. We have talent, there's no doubt about that, form is a bit ****ed for now but forms just a temporary issue. Literally a few good signings away from being a top team. I just don't understand why.. *sigh*

It will take a bit of time. Doubt Wenger would ever splash big money on more than 1 quality signing like the likes of Ozil/Alexis in 1 window. Anyways, Welbeck is coming good. Not amazing but he's already doing a better job than Giroud tbh so I'm not sure on how keen I am of his return, unless he comes back and does a mad one (Sept to december 2013)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHOO

This is a strange post. The players you have just posted half are totally out of form or not even nailed down in the first XI

Sanchez is having an indifferent start, looked good at times and poor at others and has even missed a couple of games as Wenger obviously felt others were a better choice, Carzola is miles off his 2012 form and hasn't look fantastic for a while & Ozil has had 1 good game out of the last season and a bit. Wenger clearly will not stick with him in number 10, whether that is the cause I don't know.

Even Ramsey, who I think was absolutely class last season, is being plagued once again by injures (which is unlucky cause I actually like him a lot, seems like a humble guy).

Your midfield has a lot of depth but IMO you still need another decent CB, full back, DM, world class striker & even possibly a second striker. To me that is still a lot of work.

And before you are defensive about my comments I am not trying to WUM, I am aware United are also in need of additions before competing, although IMO we are much much closer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AnharM
There is no weakness in that City squad, once Aguero is injured, they have Dzeko and Jovetic to cover him. Both are capable of scoring 20+ goals a season. They have Silva, Nasri, Yaya, Fernando, Fernandinho, Milner, Navas as well as Lampard all fighting for those 4 positions behind the 2 strikers, two players fighting for every position. Milner is also versatile, so he can play in CM as well. They have 4 full-backs, again, two players fighting for one position. Then they have 4 CB's, again 2 players fighting for one position. It's incredible, that's what you call strength in depth.

Ramires and Mikel as CM back-ups to Fabregas and Matic is nowhere near as good as having players like Milner and Fernandinho as back-ups.

The truth is, Man City have ****ed up their start to the PL. If you match squad by squad, Man City's squad is better and stronger than Chelsea's clearly.

Weak mentality

Football isn't won on paper. If it was, we'd have blown West Ham away yesterday by half time and City would have won the CL by now

I'll put this simply.

Chelsea winning the league would not be an amazing achievement like jam said. An achievement but not amazing.
Original post by zKlown
Weak mentality

Football isn't won on paper. If it was, we'd have blown West Ham away yesterday by half time and City would have won the CL by now

I'll put this simply.

Chelsea winning the league would not be an amazing achievement like jam said. An achievement but not amazing.

Not saying it will be amazing, the squad is more than capable of winning the league, but City should still be favourites, if they weren't 5 points behind us, purely based on their squad and more strength in depth.

What would be amazing is if Chelsea win the league and CL. Capital One Cup or FA Cup will be a bonus, but I definitely want Chelsea to get to the Finals of the CL.
All I'm saying is give Mourinho or Fergies Citys team and they'd get 90 points easily.
Original post by jam278
All I'm saying is give Mourinho or Fergies Citys team and they'd get 90 points easily.

I said that last week, City's team with Mou/SAF/Wenger would have broken the points record by now.
Original post by Pete_91
I said that last week, City's team with Mou/SAF/Wenger would have broken the points record by now.

Exactly. Hence why I don't believe we are favourites, just set up very well but personnel wise people acting like we're as good as City are just haters. City get by with their talent. We're getting by with good team performances. Can't pick out a really poor player so far, when for City the likes of Toure have been shocking this season.
Chelsea-Arsenal realistic predictions???
Original post by Pete_91

No, not Wenger.
Original post by AnharM
Chelsea-Arsenal realistic predictions???

3-1 Chelsea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest